500+ Nickel boxes in 365 days! All stats updated daily!

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by DatDareNickelGuy, Sep 26, 2019.

1. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

I suspect you have a pile of dateless Buffalo nickels. I wonder how complete a set you might have especially with your location.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. DatDareNickelGuy

DatDareNickelGuy Well-Known Member

I have wondered that too. But since I don't like to Nickadate. They stay in my rolls dateless.

4. Kevin Mader

I pickle them to see if I can fill another hole. It's amazing what is flowing through our system.

DatDareNickelGuy likes this.
  5. DatDareNickelGuy

Absolutely! I wonder how many people held onto a 1913 V Nickel not knowing what they had before spending it 106 years ago. I still think a few more examples exist. Maybe in someone's great grandmothers collection that was left behind. And maybe.... Just maybe. It might end up in your box one day :)

Kevin Mader likes this.
  6. Kevin Mader

I can't recall if I posted pictures of the pickled nickel set I started with CRH finds. But I've found most of them (considering most mid/late twenties specimens have dates yet).

7. DatDareNickelGuy

Yeah with 500+ boxes im sure I can get pretty close to finishing a buffalo set. And like 10 Jefferson AU/BU sets. I don't do Jefferson sets anymore as I already have around 5 BU sets over the years. But I will always retire a nickel if it's 30+ years old and has some nice mint luster and a good strike.

Kevin Mader likes this.
  8. DEA

DEA Well-Known Member

Sorry, ya'll. What does "pickle them" mean? It almost seems it should be obvious by context but I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer. Please and thank you in advance.

Interesting post. I'm enjoying it immensely.

David

9. Kevin Mader

Hi David - sorry for the lingo. For severely worn nickels (V Nickels and Buffalo Nickels without dates), you can soak them in vinegar to reveal the details of the coin (unless is so worn that the disrupted metal no longer remains to sufficiently bear the details). It will create an etched surface so it ruins the coin, but for a dateless specimen, I find it interesting to reveal what I've found. To accelerate the process, you can use a 50/50 mix of hydrogen peroxide and vinegar to reveal the date in minutes rather than days. But you have to watch that mixture or you could 'overdo' it and go past the point of no return. Also, there are ways to reveal the date of some Buffalo without pickling them. For instance, the ribbon on the obverse of the Buffalo Nickel can isolate a mid-20s nickel and the mound on the reverse can reveal a dateless 1913 variety 1. So make sure you have vetted your dateless nickels before pickling.

UncleScroge, DatDareNickelGuy and DEA like this.
  10. DEA

DEA Well-Known Member

Holy cow! I was completely unaware of any of that (except the ribbon and mound). I've heard of the heavy acid treatment (nitric acid?) but not the low dose vinegar acid treatment, or hydrogen peroxide. Thanks, Kevin!

Kevin Mader likes this.
  11. Beardigger

Beardigger Well-Known Member

Here in Florida I have been lucky enough to find a collection dump in Customer Rolled Nickels and Quarters. As far as Boxes go it doesn't seem to matter....I can usually come up with 1 War nickel in a box (found a 1944 P tonight so far). Have only ever found 2 Buffalos, both with dates. Have about $1.25 in S mint marks (Mostly 60's 70's but some earlier). I usually find 3 or 4 in a box. I've only been doing nickels(and Pennies) for about 3 weeks now. But enjoying it. You could probably ship a box of Nickels and a Box of pennies together in a flat rate box (medium) for about $15. Interesting concept in trading boxes between areas.

12. DatDareNickelGuy

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Box 28

Well this box was rough but managed to pull a silver towards the end. Light on the finds but not a terrible box.

1-Silver 1945 Philadelphia
    1-1951 Denver
    2-1939 Philadelphia
    1-Foreign 2009 Canada
    1-AU/BU 1967 Philadelphia
    1-Toned Nice rainbow but pictures don't do it justice
    7-Common 40s
    11-Common 50s
    7-2009D

13. Andygator

Andygator Member

I am just now getting around to scoping my finds. I found a Repunched Mist Mark (RPM). ITt was really obvious and stopped me in my tracks.

DatDareNickelGuy and Kevin Mader like this.
  14. DatDareNickelGuy

Yeah it's always heart stopping when you find a nice find!

15. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Ouch. That goes against everything we as members stand for. I hope your not going to try to sell those. I think cointalk was formed to educate members or future members. But i guess finding out would be fun. I'm on the fence on this one. Not saying or directing this at you. Thinking its like counterfeiting. I do love your nickle thread. Really. You will be the nickle monster when you finish your quest

16. Andygator

Andygator Member

I am getting close to finishing the seperation between all the dates on 2 boxes. I hope i got it close.

I got:

1 silver war
    1 V coin
    6 foreign
    .....so far, 2 boxes.

I yall would like, i could provide a complete breakdown.

17. Kevin Mader

From a numismatic standpoint, if a coin can’t be established it’s basically worth face value or spot material. Even then there are limitations. Tons of worn out coins have made it into jewelry or fashioned into Hobo Nickels. There still some mileage and interest. For me, I have an objective to create circulation sets as complete as possible for Vs, Buffalos, and Jefferson nickels. Jefferson is easy enough with time. Much harder to nearly impossible for the other two. However, with Buffalo I think it can be done if a person uses ‘pickled’ nickels. If I look at both circulation sets, I think I’m reasonably close. To be honest, I am excited to find dateless as it provides the opportunity to fill another spot in the pickled nickel set. Fun and interesting. Here is a nickel picked off the ground in a parking lot a couple weeks back. Imagine the life of this circulation find.

Attached Files:

18. Kevin Mader

I did a quick assessment: I’ve found 48 of the 64 Buffalo Nickels including coins from my pickled nickel collection. I have to think that DDNG has this surpassed based on the shear volumes searched. I would think that during this 500 box challenge he will exceed my current status...provided pickled nickels are included. It would be interesting to track from my perspective.

19. Andygator

Andygator Member

It would seem that science can currently read worn off serial numbers to guns - buffalos should be easy with a certificate.

20. Kevin Mader

Yes. The date and mint mark were both unreadable. You couldn’t even see an outline. But now I can read the date and mint Mark with just a pair of readers.

21. DatDareNickelGuy

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Box 29

Very happy with this box. A little light on the oldies but a nice rainbow toner and two semi key and a silver to end the box.

1-Silver 1944D
    1-Error 2005 Philadelphia two Die chips on reverse.
    1-1948S
    1-1958 Philadelphia
    1-Toned
    1-Foreign 2000 Canada
    2-AU/BU 1958D and 1963D
    5-2009D
    5-Common 40s
    8-Common 50s

Draft saved Draft deleted