500+ Nickel boxes in 365 days! All stats updated daily!

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by DatDareNickelGuy, Sep 26, 2019.

1. Beardigger

Beardigger Well-Known Member

11D89DEA-D6A9-4869-91AD-4AEE0F7535A0.jpeg 5CEFC7C4-96BE-4501-8B76-9EF246CC46B8.jpeg Last is 1964. Die rotation, but I’m not feeling the steps on this one. Don’t know if pic is good enough to tell. ADACCB20-2F75-4595-881C-60CF7BFD0D15.jpeg

DatDareNickelGuy likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Beardigger

Beardigger Well-Known Member

Just noticed the glare is preventing you from seeing the steps. That's OK I'm ok w/ steps and I think the first 2 are FS. Maybe tomorrow I will take them out of the flips and look closer, and take better pics.

4. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

5. DatDareNickelGuy

DatDareNickelGuy Well-Known Member

Just wanted to keep you guys posted. Im in my car trying to stay warm and charge my phone. San Antonio and all of Texas is on a Level 3 energy lockdown due to the major ice storm we got. This is the highest level possible.

This means to keep Texas from losing complete power and the grid they have cut all power to pretty much anybody who is not considered essential. All business are mostly close. Our major supplier of food is H.E.B. They have closed most location and the few that are open have 5 hours or less of service these last couple days. This means lines wrapped around the building and people pushing to get in to feed their families. Keep in mind with no power for days this means no food! No refrigerator and no oven. So everybody is looking for bread and chips and something simple and fast to eat before the sun goes down.

Last night was the worst night in my life sleep related. It got down to 7 degrees outside. Ice and 6 inches of snow with no power now for over 30+ hours.

Now keep in mind that doesn't sound like much for people who live up north but here in South Texas this is extremely rare. I have been living here for almost 30 years and it's never happened. We were pretty much informed by our electric company "CPS" will have to keep doing these blackouts for atleast 48 hours more to keep Texas from losing the power grid.

Now when you read on it it will state they are rotating power to give people atleast 15 minutes of power per hour.

THIS IS NOT TRUE!.. All a effort to save their jobs. 30+ hours in my neighborhood and we all have decent houses.

I have already read reports of the elderly passing away. Kids with health problems having to be transported by firetruck to hospitals because the parents cant drive on ice. Hotels that do have power price gouging to $1500 a night!!!!

So much ice on the road. People getting extremely ill. I got friends who are diabetic and have kidney issues. Now they can't get their treatment.

With all this said and typing all this on like one hour of sleep. I will say I am not selfish. I dont need help. I got a full tank of gas and cold sandwiches to last me another week. I have a bunch of blankets and candles. Ill be fine. I worry about my fellow Texans.

Last thing. I will say im absolutely ashamed of my power company. You see San Antonio only has one power company. It is a monopoly. CPS is the only option you have for the 7th largest city in America!!!

For them to say they are doing their best and are sorry for the inconvenience. Yeah tell that to the families who just lost a loved one.

I will get the second box of this collection dump posted whenever I get my darn power back CPS!!!

TrompeLeMonde and GH#75 like this.
  6. GH#75

GH#75 Trying to get 8 hours of sleep in 4. . .

That sounds like fun... Hopefully you'll get power back soon. Stay safe.

7. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

Hang in there and stay as warm as possible. Leave the water on a drip to keep the water flowing through the pipes. Be careful with the candles; they can be a hazard with bulky clothing, etc. If it's any consolation, I'm in the 4th densely populated state in the nation with no choice in service (we call it Neversource). I have a generator because the grid I'm on, the smallest in my town, gets prioritized close to last/last for restoration regularly. I've lost power nearly 60 times in the past 10 years, sometimes for 8-12 days. About 4 years ago, we lost power due to a freak snowstorm in October. Cold nights for sure with a bed of snow on the ground.

I saw something interesting that folks do when trying to generate heat. They build a small 'firepit' out of leftover bricks and tiles inverting a terracotta pot on top of the bricks. then arrange a few small candles under it to catch the heat and let it radiate out to the surroundings. I thought that was a neat idea for camping...but folks doing that in the home on the hearth or the like to keep warm. I'll take a look to see if I can find a link to that idea I saw the other day.

8. Kevin Mader

9. DatDareNickelGuy

Great information! Yeah the fire brick looks really cool (no pun intended). I do have the faucet dripping but SAWS (the name of our water supply company) has stated due to the energy crisis they have already cut water for some areas of San Antonio. So now this means no electricity and now no water. Its getting pretty ridiculous. But thankfully as of right now I still got water. I just got out of my car and am now just scrolling thru people CRH post ive missed over the last year on here.

On a side note I do have water saved up. I got plenty of bottled water if it comes to it.

Ive already seen post on the news online of some families throwing snow in the bathtub so they have drinking water. Its crazy what we take for granted!

TrompeLeMonde likes this.
  10. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

11. DatDareNickelGuy

Yep.

12. Kevin Mader

It is. I tend to get cranky by day 3 of no power. I'm on a well, so without it...no water. I had the generator for a few years now, but I didn't have it wired into the home until this year. Now if the power goes out, I run a separate breaker box with the essentials and a few extras (furnace, pump, refrigerator, extra freezer, and a few circuits to run lights and outlets. Not enough to run the oven/range, but I have an outdoor grill that goes into service winter, summer, spring or fall. And I can run indoor hotplates/griddles for other things. So at this point, we can manage pretty well. But I can think of a few very cold outages over the years where the only heat was coming from my fireplace insert. I had to run the generator to operate the fan to make it worth the while. But we got by as I spit nails. I fully expect that there will be those occasions. But in my neck of the woods, where density is 741 people per square mile...the expectation is that the utility companies consider that this isn't a rural state where folks normally are better at being self sustaining. We 'city slickers' really come to depend on the utility folks providing utilities.

13. DatDareNickelGuy

Ive been trying to post replies to Beardigger questions on the proof coins. Dont know if it shows on this thread due to my phone internet going in and out.

The thing is I live outside city limits. All my neighbors are far apart. I dont like living in the city. Never have and never will. But unfortunately we are stuck with CPS energy.

Well thats it for me. Gonna eat a little bit and get warm under the blankets. Maybe read a book under candlelight to calm the nerves.

Kevin Mader likes this.
  14. DatDareNickelGuy

Hopefully I dont end up like this guy.

Screenshot_20210216-194512_(1).png

juris klavins and GH#75 like this.
  15. DatDareNickelGuy

Just a update.

Finally got power back after days. But obviously I will use it sparingly. Dont know when they wilk shut it off again. Can't believe it is snowing hard at almost noon here in San Antonio.

Hopefully ill have the boxes posted by this weekend.

20210218_111608_(1).jpg

GH#75 and Kevin Mader like this.
  16. Kevin Mader

Here's the other end of the storm...

snow2021.jpg

17. coloradobryan

coloradobryan Well-Known Member

Looks like Colorado there in Texas. Hope things improve soon there.

Kevin Mader and DatDareNickelGuy like this.
  18. DatDareNickelGuy

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Box 247 Same Collection Dump From Previous Box Part 1/2

This was the second box from that awesome collection dump. A little less in finds but still a lot more than average! You will see the similarities to box 246 when both parts are posted.

For some reason its giving me issues on loading the 10th picture. But its just two more 53'S

1-Buffalo 1935P
    4-Errors 2005D Die Chip/Crack Reverse,2006P,2017P,and 2020P All Die Chip Reverse
    1-Foreign 2001 Panama
    3-1939P
    2-1952S
    4-1953S

Attached Files:

19. Kevin Mader

That 1935 is very nice!

20. DatDareNickelGuy

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Box 247 Part 2/2

And here you see the similarities. A high count of 50's and 60's BU coins. Most with that same beautiful gold toning. And box 248 will be the end of this collection dump. Ill post that box tomorrow.

All BU below

1-1953D
    1-1957D
    1-1959P
    1-1960D
    3-1961P
    2-1961D
    2-1962D
    2-1963P
    4-1964P
    1-1964D
    1-1966P
    4-1968S
    1-1983D
    1-1984D

And the total stats for this box

1-Buffalo
    4-Errors
    1-Foreign
    3-1939P
    2-1952S
    4-1953S
    25-AU/BU
    23-Common 50s
    16-Common 40s
    6-2009D

85 total coins pulled from this box!

21. DatDareNickelGuy

Absolutely insane Texas weather! We were at 7 degrees a few days ago. Colder than Alaska at that time!!!

I now have full power and water. We are still on a boil water alert but ill take it.

There is a old saying here in Texas. "If you don't like the weather just wait 5 minutes".

Same picture as before. Clear skys warm sun and kids playing outside. What a beautiful day it is.

20210219_143143_(1).jpg

Will have the third box of this collection dump up in a few hours.

GH#75 and Kevin Mader like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted