500+ Nickel boxes in 365 days! All stats updated daily!

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by DatDareNickelGuy, Sep 26, 2019.

1. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

Maybe it would could share some of our favorite CRH finds while we wait for the CRH events to begin again. I guess we should have started that idea a couple months ago.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kevin Mader

Here's a find from a while back (sorry for the photos...it was from my novice days). A 1963 DDR. 2IBU_opt (2).jpg 3UM_opt (2).jpg 5UNIT_opt (2).jpg 6STAT_opt (2).jpg 8ICA_opt (2).jpg 9LURIBU_opt (2).jpg 11STATES_opt (2).jpg 12AMERIC_opt (2).jpg

Seattlite86 and DatDareNickelGuy like this.
  4. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

that will be fun for you. You should open up a nickel city coin shop

DatDareNickelGuy likes this.
  5. Beardigger

Beardigger Well-Known Member

image.jpg image.jpg Haven’t been searching nickels sine the shutdown. Too difficult to dump. I have about 80 rolls onhamd to search, but what I have searched so far are disappointing. Here are my 2 meager finds.
    A 1951 S amda decent shape 1965.

image.jpg

lordmarcovan likes this.
  6. coloradobryan

coloradobryan Well-Known Member

Things have been a bit slow for me on the coin front as well. No new nickel finds but lucked onto a 64d quarter at the C store.

Kevin Mader likes this.
  7. DatDareNickelGuy

DatDareNickelGuy Well-Known Member

Sorry. Got super busy these last couple days. Going to have to make time. Been meaning to clean out the safe and rearrange some stuff. When I get a chance I haven't forgot. I got some stuff Id like to show.

On a side note Chase bank has now opened their lobbies for full service. Just waiting on my credit union and we will be back full rolling!!!!

8. mullinax01

mullinax01 Member

How do you guys take pictures of your coins? I can't get too close with my iphone without it being way too blurry. I just found a very beautiful 1939 nickel I wanted to share with you guys but haven't mastered the picture taking! Thanks!

9. mullinax01

mullinax01 Member

upload_2020-6-15_11-6-42.jpeg upload_2020-6-15_11-7-0.jpeg
    Nicest 1939 I’ve ever found!

GH#75, Seattlite86, DEA and 2 others like this.
  10. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

11. Kevin Mader

As you noted, getting too close can be a problem. What you want to find is the optimal distance to take your photos. Find an object that has some mass but only tall enough for you to set the optimal distance between your phone's camera and the object coin. Use the zoom sparingly. Optimal means that without much zooming, you can fill the phone screen with the object coin with all the details sharp. Also, you need to play with the lighting. Reduce glare by creating 'filters' which diffuse the lighting. Lighting from two or more directions also reduces shadows. It's a bit of an art, but worth investing some time into it. Good luck on the photo shoots and the hunt!

lordmarcovan likes this.
  12. Kevin Mader

Here's another - 1949 OMM

1949MMCU_opt.jpg 1949obv_opt.jpg 1949rev_opt.jpg

lordmarcovan likes this.
  13. Kevin Mader

A modern DDO -

2004.jpg date_opt (2).jpg p_opt (2).jpg trust.jpg we.jpg

14. Kevin Mader

In the beginning...DDR... 1938bus_opt (2).jpg 1938five_opt (2).jpg 1938m_opt (2).jpg 1938obv_opt (2).jpg 1938plu_opt (2).jpg 1938rev_opt (2).jpg 1938united_opt (2).jpg 1938unum2_opt (2).jpg

Seattlite86 and DatDareNickelGuy like this.
  15. Kevin Mader

A cluster of shiny bits...
    1960s_opt (2).jpg

16. Kevin Mader

17. Kevin Mader

18. DatDareNickelGuy

Slug or not Liberty finds still to this day make me jump for joy when I find them.

19. DatDareNickelGuy

Sorry guys been super busy these weeks coming. Still waiting for my credit union to open their lobbies for coin dumps.

I took today off from work. I got a couple of hours so I decided to clean and rearrange the gun safe.

These nickel boxes you see are filled to the top from years of hunting. Got three more rows that look like this in the safe. For those guessing how many pre 60s nickels I have stacked over 20+ years. Just in these 16 boxes in my gun safe its around 64,000+

Thats also not counting the ones from this 500 box hunt and also I got boxes full stored around the house somewhere.

The red boxes you see are 2x2 flipped Nickels of errors worth at least $5 or more. Got about 50+ boxes of those from over the years.

20200618_125522(1).jpg

20. DatDareNickelGuy

Just a random box I opened. I always sort them and put the date and mint mark on the top cap.

20200618_131047(1).jpg

21. Corn Man

Corn Man Well-Known Member

Damn thats a lot of nickels

Draft saved Draft deleted