$50 coin worth a dollar?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by BronzeAge, Apr 15, 2021.

1. BronzeAge

BronzeAge Member

capthank likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Who said they are worth that much?
    They are no longer in use and cannot be exchanged. I have tons of those denomitized coins and they are worthless.

You can't go by the exchange rate on coins no longer in circulation.

Maybe a very small premium for collectors of old foreign coins.

4. BronzeAge

BronzeAge Member

Thats weird. I thought Mexico was still using the peso.

5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

But not those old coins.

Use Numista to see their new coins
    Capture+_2021-04-15-05-59-48.png

john65999 and BronzeAge like this.
  6. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

On january 1 1993 Mexico switched to the new peso. This is where the problem is. Those coins are old pesos.

It's a different valuation system.
    When the system was reformed they removed 3 zeros, so the 1989 1000 peso coin is equal to 1 current peso or approximately 5 -10 cents depending on the exchange rate on any given day.

The new peso version of the $1000 peso is worth about $50 in exchange.

john65999 and paddyman98 like this.
  7. BronzeAge

BronzeAge Member

OK, thanks. I just did a search and read that the outgoing president of Mexico took half the country's money and left, so the new President demonitjzed all their money! That had to hurt everyone.

8. clembo

clembo A closed mind is no mind

We used to put these in a cigar box at the shop and sell them for 10 cents.

On the bright side Mexico does mint some beautiful coins.

BronzeAge and paddyman98 like this.
  9. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

Called revaluation. Rented a small garage apartment for $70 a month in 1967 - $70 in today's money is about $600. I've often thought that there should be a US currency revaluation, like maybe 1 new dollar = 10 old dollars. Too many digits now days, and I can't count too high anyway.:oops:

10. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

When I was in Uruguay 1966-1968, we rented an apartment from a bank manager. He gave us a tip that if we had some U.S. Dollars, to go to the bank and buy the Uruguayan pesos. The exchange rate changed almost every day. My companion and I had a few hundred dollars in cash then (until we received a check from our parents.) and we each took $100 to the bank. The exchange rate that day was $1 for 200 pesos. So we each walked out of the bank with 200 pesos. The night, the manager told us to take our pesos and cash them into the bank for dollars. So, the next day we took our pesos in to cash them in for dollars. The exchange rate was now 100 pesos for a dollar. So we each walked out of the bank with $200. I'm sure if the bank found out our landlord gave us an inside tip, he would be thrown out of the bank and into the jail, but we never told anyone until we got back to the States. We never saw another exchange rate that volatile.

BronzeAge likes this.
  11. wxcoin

wxcoin Getting no respect since I was a baby

The other day I found a package of Old El Paso taco shells in my cupboard. Believe me when I tell you they aren't good anymore.

How this relates to your question I don't know. In my senile brain when you brought up old pesos this is what popped up. I hope you forgive me.

LakeEffect, Tater and johnyb like this.
  12. BronzeAge

BronzeAge Member

Peso, Paso, tom eh toe, tom ah toe

wxcoin likes this.
  13. BronzeAge

BronzeAge Member

By my math the Dollar Store would become the Five And Dime Store again. (Or just the Dime Store.)

I wish China and Japan would do that first. One yuan is 0.15 dollars. And before the Euro, the Italian Lira was so bad, a dollar could buy a new Lamborghini.

derkerlegand likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted