Discussion in 'World Coins' started by lakebreeze, Nov 8, 2008.

1. lakebreeze

lakebreeze New Member

Its a snowy day here, a good day to do this.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

Well the top one is British but it is not a coin as far as I am aware, the head is of George IV and the design on the other side is a Garter within a wreath but I am unsure what the central object is :mad:

4. Drusus

Drusus Pecunia non olet

Now this is just a thought, I find nothing regarding the British medal and I have never seen a medal with that inscription like that but I certainly havent seen them all. Its always Georgus IIII (IV) D.G. Dei Gratias / Britannia Rex / latin inscriptions...not 'George IV King of Great Britain'. This is not at all the usual inscription on most George IV medals and coin.

Leads me to believe it is a a private medal issued concerning the Order of the Garder, Honi soit qui mal y pense is the motto of that Order, it means 'Shame be to him who thinks evil of it'. he was a member..The protrait used is a common one on his coins and medals, cant say what the thing on the reverse is supposed to be.

5. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

One thing that does spring to mind is that it might be a Scottish thistle! I also tend to agree with what Dru has posted above about it's origins they sound quite plausable.

Draft saved Draft deleted