#5(RA-BR) - Alexander II?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by gsimonel, May 17, 2021.

1. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

Here's another little fellow from the Roma group lots:
    AlexanderII.jpg
    Kings of Macedon
    AE15 unit
    Obv: Diademed young male head, right, within border of dots
    Rev: AΛEΧAN[ΔPO?] - Horse, prancing right. Star control mark, below.
    15 mm, 4.0 g.
    HGC 3.1, 836

Price attributed this coin to Alexander the Great (#349), but Hoover (HGC 3.1) assigns it to Alexander II, from 370-367 B.C. Does anyone know when or why this change was made? If it is indeed of Alexander II, it is the only known coin of his--quite a neat little find in a group lot!

By now I imagine most of you are have seen enough of the coins from the lots that I mentioned in the Roma Auction - Buyer's Remorse post that maybe you're just now becoming sorry that you asked. So I'll give it a rest for a bit and let everyone get on with their lives.

Post anything you feel is relevant.

Orielensis, Alegandron and Bing like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

Your coin appears to have a star below the horse making in an HGC 928 which is an Alexander III Denomination C. Stylistically your coin does fit the pattern of these coins. I had one since sold that is very similar in both the style as well as having a HP monogram below the horse. Xalexanderae3 (2).jpg As you can see the POY of Alexander's name is in the right upper field as opposed to curling underneath the horse as in the coin plated in Hoover. As for it being an Alexander III lifetime? Don't ask I haven't been able to sort out the silver coins let alone the aes:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

ominus1, Alegandron and Bing like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted