5 on the cheek dime

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Nick57, Jul 22, 2019.

1. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I would equate that to a worn die and die deterioration.
    Thanks for getting back to us.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Nick57

Nick57 Member

He also compared it to the "superbird" quarter.

4. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Based on @Fred Weinberg comments in the previous posts and Dr Wiles' comparison to the Superbird quarter that @Nick57 provided, it sounds like it's basically a strike through during the die making process. In this case, a piece of lint got caught between the working hub and die. At this point, the die is still soft. The strike through just happens to resemble a crude 5. It is a variety since There are a few examples known.

If I have this wrong, please provide updated info so we have an accurate description in the CT forum.

5. steve.e

steve.e Cherry picker

So are you saying if you just so happened to find one of these you would just throw it back. I think we all realize it not a number 5 that was stamped on the cheek but if it looks like a 5 its safe to call it a 5 rite? Anyway would you just throw it back becouse you know it wasn't intentionally stamped? Please respond

6. paddyman98

Right into the Coinstar machine!

7. Nick57

Nick57 Member

Please throw it in the Coinstar in my neighborhood.

Nyatii likes this.
  8. Nick57

Nick57 Member

9. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

10. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

11. Pickin and Grinin

And here is what he says in part of his description.
    Rainbow "Professionally" Toning

We understand that some people like "professionally" toned coins
    Some prefer (e)dynamically marketed coins from a certain showroom
    However, we do not typically buy professionally toned coins
    This (and two others) were only purchased after we thought we spotted a "5"
    These were "cherrypicked" within two weeks of the graded example (15)

paddyman98 and Bmmartin like this.
  12. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

Coin# is the ordinary coin...

Pariodolia

13. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

14. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Not a 5 on the cheek and not a mint error on the coin.

Burton Strauss III likes this.
  15. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

I looked at the photo and could not see the 5 but I want to add that a few coins do get struck through droppings from clogged dies and are called dropped letter coins. I collect them and have found a few myself from looking thru new mint rolls. I have one that has caused all kinds of confusion that looks to have a large a large piece of struck thru die dropping that remained together. It is slabbed as a major clashed die and is possible to be as slabbed so I'm keeping it that way.

16. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

I took another look and it looks like what you have is a struck thru coin. I looks like it was some kind of mint debris.

17. Pickin and Grinin

Yes, this does happen. But what the folks here are talking about is not a dropped letter. Not even close to retained.
    Please follow up with a few examples. How about start a new thread. This one is beat up.:rolleyes:

18. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

I never said anything about something being retained. When a dropped letter or letters gets struck into a coin it falls out and off the coin leaving a sunken in design of the letters or numbers . A retained struck thru is when the struck thru item remains embedded in the coin.

coinsareus10 likes this.
  19. rascal

rascal Well-Known Member

Sorry folks about gettingit wrong in my posts. I was looking at the damaged spot on the cheek and didn't notice the thing that is supposed to be a five. I learned what to look for from the Ebay link. It looks like may be from a die scratch

20. Bmmartin

Bmmartin Member

Hi y'all!

Just to hopefully put the issue (and this thread) to bed... Although I know it won't be until the CPG is released later this year (assuming no pandemic-related delays).

Be careful of blanket statements. Apparently ALL of the experts did not already decide that the "5" was nothing.

Both Mr. Fivas and the late Mr. Stanton have:

(1) Seen the coin AND
    (2) Agree it's a variety

Are you stating that Mr. Fivas is NOT an expert?

If so, you're pitting yourself against one of the original CPG authors (and several of its contributors)...

By inference, you're also pitting yourself against anyone that relies on the CPG as a variety resource. I'll just throw out a few "names' here: NGC, PCGS, ANACS, probably many of your acquaintances...

And, well, good luck with your credibility after that... Unless you're just trolling the variety threads, then take a bow!!!

Of course, everyone is entitled to their opinion, and people can be very wrong.

Just please let them be your own and not someone else's, especially when that particular expert refuses to see one in-hand.

If I want to hear from a parrot, I'll go to the closest pet shop. If I want to hear from an expert, I'll go directly to an expert.

If you would like to seek an expert's advice, or at least one who has seen the coin, I suggest Mr. Fivas; he's extremely friendly and very knowledgeable.

At least, IMHO, I consider him to be a leading expert. Some may disagree, again opinions are opinions...

However, unless the editors change their minds prior to publication... let's agree to disagree.

While we wait for the release date, how about we go back to talking about birds: When the CPG comes out, let's agree that one of us will let the other know how crow tastes?

I'll admit if I'm wrong if this isn't a variety. Do you have the confidence to admit when you're wrong as well?

The "big four" will typically not slab a variety that is not in the CPG, CONECA, etc. You'll find this info on their variety guidance pages, e.g., NGC's VarietyPlus.

For quick reference: https://www.ngccoin.com/variety-plus/standard-references/

As for the price - It seems like typically once the CPG recognizes a variety, sometimes it creates an auction frenzy? If you knew you had a variety that you knew was going be published in the CPG, would you price high or low. Especially given the controversy and heated debates that typically follow this variety?

Let's put off any further discussion on this until the CPG is actually released.

On a side note, this might have "flown" under the radar, but the Superbird is now back on NGC's VarietyPlus list as a "new" variety. My arguments in the other thread must have been pretty persuasive. Law school WAS useful

On another note - Snide remarks and self-aggrandizement are what turn people off of the coin community. Shouldn't we seek to enlarge it? Isn't this forum a tool for education? Or is this to boast about our knowledge! OH! WHAT GODS HAVE WE BECOME! (can I have your autographs?)

I sent my elementary school on here to get an education... He doesn't like this site because he said there's a lot of arrogant people on here and said he received a lot of rude advice. Thank you to those responsible for almost turning my son off of collecting!

Some people on here should really self-reflect. Are you fluent in sarcasm or do you want a cracker? I prefer triscuits with brie.

21. paddyman98

I am not a troll. I am a respected member of CoinTalk for many years with hundreds of Mint Error Threads of my own. I know who all those guys you mentioned are. After 36 years of collecting Mint Errors I have all that information. It does not mean I have to agree with what everyone's opinion is. Have a good night.

Peace

Draft saved Draft deleted