$5 Gov. of Texas (real or fake)

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by connor1, Jan 26, 2010.

1. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Hey Bob,

Was just trying to make a point to Lettow, That nobody,s perfect
    Even the TPG,S, As far as your note, Your doing the right thing
    Buy trying to get a better idea if it,s real through correct size:high5:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mpcusa

I wonder what good options there are to remove it from the card board??
    Is there anything on the back like a design or is it blank??

4. krispy

krispy krispy

They used distilled water (predominantly) to clean the Sistine Chapel... sometimes the simplest, purest thing is solvent enough.

It really first needs to be determined what kind of glue or sealer was used on this in order to consider options to reverse it. If it was hide glue (animal-based) chances are very good it's reversible. So since this is old and hide glues were more common in the past, this could be an option. Even better if the glue is wheat starch for reversibility, water alone would dissolve this enough in the hands of a professional conservator. If it's plastic, wax (oily) or some other sealer that permeated the entire fiber of the paper, chances are slim that it can be removed without risk of damage to the note and it's printed regions even if you managed to get it off the board. Removing the board from the note is probably more the approach than taking the note off the board. In any case, it's delicate and tedious work.

5. connor1

connor1 Collector

The glue was definitely applied to just the under sided of the banknote ,like wallpaper,very neatly ,you can get the tip of a razor blade under a corner but I will not go any further,I just have to get dimensions to dertermine if an conservation/authentication or TPGs $ is worth the money or just leave it alone.7'' x 3" seems very small for an obsolete. Haxby (4 CD doesn't even list The Government of Texas Notes.)
    I'm waiting on an answer from a member who's brother in law wrote a book on GOV/Rep of Texas notes .Sent an email to the auctioneer at Heritage you sent me (thanks for the link)about the notes dimensions but no reply after 2 emails.Gotta get my sister in law an answer she's driving my brother crazy!!!:headbang:

6. krispy

krispy krispy

Well I'm glad to hear that you are well on top of it then. Glad you found some professionals that can assist with this piece. Though it seems like the doubting of authenticity may be well heeded, I don't think the answer will likely appeal to you your sister in law. Either way she'll have learned something about numismatics and the drama of collecting and thinking you may have found something truly great and rare. I still hope for you all that you have something special that can be preserved.

7. connor1

connor1 Collector

Thanks,I'll let you know the outcome.

8. mpcusa

I would definitley be interested as well :)

9. Staircoins

Staircoins Junior Member

Connor1,

I see nothing to indicate that your note is a fake. It is not a known counterfeit, but may be a high quality color copy. I'm leaning toward it being genuine, but it is impossible to say for sure from the image alone.

This type of note is a Cr. H16. If yours is real, it appears to be a nice one (except for the gluing, of course).

I just measured one from my collection, and it is 7 1/16" wide, by 3" high, so your note is the proper size. Looking at your note under magnification, are the signatures printed as part of the note, or were they added by hand? Also, can you see any slash cuts in the paper? They aren't there in all genuine notes, but are in many.

In any case, I would be very careful about removing the note from the cardboard unless you know what you're doing. That's a job best left to someone with experience.

If you have a larger scan, I'd be happy to take a look at it and render an opinion on the note. Feel free to send it my way of you like.

Mike Stair

Edit: By the way, the 'Sam Houston' signature on these notes was secretarially done, not by Sam himself. Still a terrific note, though!

10. connor1

connor1 Collector

Thanks that's great news I have a 950 kbs picture jpeg send me you email by PM & I'll attach it in an attachment.
    Thanks for the help again
    Bob Connor (connor1)

11. Staircoins

Staircoins Junior Member

I viewed the larger scan.

Authenticating a note from an image is a risky endeavor - particularly when only one side is available - but I don't see anything that makes me question this note. It appears genuine to me.

There are some things that you can look for that I can't check from the scan (some of these I mentioned in my earlier post).
    • It should be printed on relatively thin paper, not thick like today's currency.
    • Under high magnification, it should be apparent that the signatures were added by hand after the note was printed, and not printed at the same time as the rest of the note (as part of a copy process).
    • The note may have razor-cut slash cancellations through it in a few places. Some genuine notes weren't cancelled, but most were.
    • It should be blank on the back (although you may not be able to see the back side, with its being glued to the cardboard).
    If it passes these tests, you probably have a genuine note on your hands.

It's not possible to estimate a grade for this note from the image, as I can't see both sides, and it's likely that folds, splits, tears, pinholes, etc. would have been pressed out or closed when it was mounted. It has good color and presents well though. I wouldn't be surprised if it were a decent VF before mounting.

Nice note! Too bad about the glue job. Here's hoping it can be professionally removed from the mounting - or otherwise enjoyed as is!

12. mpcusa

Well thats a bit of good news! :)

13. connor1

connor1 Collector

sure is in the email if all glue is removed it could be worth 1to2 K !
    Now who removes glue ?

14. mystery45

mystery45 Junior Member

Any paper restorer would do it.

it isn't going to be cheap and restoring it could exceed the value of the note, However it is one of those things worth restoring since the value will go up.

just make sure you find a professional and someone that has been doing it a long time. as you do not want someone to damage the note itself.

check with your local museum they should have those types of services or know of someone that can do those types as well.

15. connor1

connor1 Collector

Hi What paper restorer do you use ? that $$$ excedes the value ,so why bother at all !

16. Staircoins

Staircoins Junior Member

17. mpcusa

It keep,s getting better!!

18. krispy

krispy krispy

Talas is a wonderful resource. Been some time but I used to order from them and visit their showroom for specialty bookcloth and binding materials, tools, etc. often while I was in college.

19. connor1

connor1 Collector

Yes I just hope the price doesn't excede the value of the note.My sister in law will have to eat it if it does.

20. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I think it so interesting that it is dated April 1, 1838

Jim

21. mystery45

mystery45 Junior Member

I don't actually have one because there isn't to much paper restoration that i do. I do watch a lot of antique roadshow so i know there are people out there that do that kind of thing.

I don't know if it will exceed the value of the note but it is possible. the reason to have it done? is because then the note will go up in value rather than being glued to the back of a piece of cardboard.

you would have something that collectors would want and be interested in.

rare notes are like rare coins they carry a nice premium. you have a nice rare note there more so that it is specific to one state that has a lot of history. this could carry a higher premium if it went to market.

if it goes to market it needs to be in great shape. paying good money to fix it you might have to wait a bit to recoup but you will recoup.

like any thing the longer you hold it the better it gets.

Draft saved Draft deleted