5 Francs 1939 purchasing, Please help establish if geniuine

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by alexandra31, Nov 25, 2014.

1. alexandra31

alexandra31 Member

Hello again
    A seller from my town has listed a 5 Francs Nikel 1939 for sale for 200 Euro
    I know it has a big catalogue value and thinking about purchasing
    I would like to get your opinion advise on how to determinate if the coins is Nikel/Authentic once i meet the seller
    I will also post his add pictures of the coin!
    And if it turnsd out to be the real thing what would the real market price would be
    Alexandra

Attached Files:

swamp yankee likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

I would have him authenticate it first before you buy it. not sure if these are faked or not. the nickel versions get huge money. the aluminum-bronze are cheap.
    KM#888
    F-$700.00 VF-$1,200 XF-$2,000 UNC-$4,000

4. alexandra31

alexandra31 Member

I know, in my country is impossibble to authenticate any coin!
    I have the oportunity of metting him in persson and test every aspect of the coin!
    I just dont know exacly how to spot the aluminum-cooper from the nikel
    and how to tell if authentic or fake, aluminum and nikel both weight and have the same diameter!Maybe sombody has an ideea i would hate to miss the oportunity if its real!

5. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

both Nickel and aluminum bronze coins weigh the same 12 grams.

6. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Well-Known Member

Nickel will be magnetic.

princeofwaldo and spirityoda like this.
  7. alexandra31

alexandra31 Member

Exacly, that is my problem, i dont know how to establish if its nikel or aluminum-cooper since they weight the same or if its authentic, but im ghuessing a fake would be easier in weight// bigger/smaller! magnet atracteed! This one its the right size and weight! 12 grams and 31mm

8. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

where do you live ? France ? they must have coin shops ? take it there and have them look at it.

9. alexandra31

alexandra31 Member

No unfortunatly i live in Romania! You are right nikel is magnetic did not tought of that!
    So if its magnetic/31 mm/12 grams should be the real thing
    Any ideeas on how to establish if authentic? would a fake weight/meassure the same?

10. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

11. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

From my experience something that seems like a great bargain probably is not. If it seems too goo to be true then it probably is. I'm just advocating caution.

12. alexandra31

alexandra31 Member

The seller is a very older gentlmen but he only had the coin in his colecttion for a few months, he alows any test of the coin before purchasing! I can analysse it, weight it meassure it etc

13. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

The definitive test is an X-Ray flourescence analyser, (Niton XRF for example) but I doubt if there are many of these in Romania yet, even if they are quite common in US pawnbrokes and bullion dealers. This hand held gadget provides an instant analysis of metals by percentage of the components of the alloy.

14. alexandra31

alexandra31 Member

Yes unfortunatly i dont have acces to one of those you are right!
    IM not sure what to do here, seller invited me at his home adress to see the coin and said if it turnsout to be fake he will let me throw it in the toilet myselff!

15. alexandra31

alexandra31 Member

fresh picture from seller

Attached Files:

16. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

Listen Alexandra..
    First use the magnet. You know that the magnet attracts iron and Nickel. If it doesn't attract your coin , then its a fake. After that, you will have to weigh the coin very accurately. I mean with an accurate scale that would give 2 numbers after the point. Like that: 11.93 g. or 11.89 g. or 12.07 etc.. If it's very near to 12 g. such as the numbers I just mentioned, then it's likely to be genuine, but still we would need better scanned images. By the way, do you know that the Aluminum- Bronze series of 1939 were typically struck for Colonial use in Algeria? Good Luck
    Charles

17. alexandra31

alexandra31 Member

No i did not knew that! thank you for your advise i can do all that magnet test/weight/ measure it!
    I have just uploaded above 2 better pictures from seller!

18. alexandra31

alexandra31 Member

any ideas from the new pictures? does the strike seme to be authentic?

19. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

from those new pictures it looks aluminum-bronze but put a magnet to it see if it attracts to it.

20. alexandra31

alexandra31 Member

Ok i can only do that once i meet the seller
    Besides that does it look authentic! aluminium-cooper or Nikel no matther but to know if its not a replica
    Thank you all for the help i really apreciatte it!

21. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

what other coins do you collect ?

Draft saved Draft deleted