5 CENTS - Military Payment Certificate

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by paddyman98, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Searcher64

Searcher64 Member

I just keep looking. Most in my coin club members do not collect them MPCUSA, but MPC interest me, since I use to be a printer among other things. When i was in the military i could have gotten them for nothing from many who were coming back at my base. Was not interested in them then.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Well it was military money after all. No sense in putting a lot of effort into it.

Were you Air Force?

4. Searcher64

Searcher64 Member

USMC 1964-1970

Last edited: May 1, 2017
    Jwt708 and mpcusa like this.
  5. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Even though i wasent in the military kind of a tweener to young for world war 2
    and Vietnam to old for desert storm, but many thanks to all military personal for
    given us the freedoms we have today :)

Jwt708 likes this.
  6. mpcusa

Yeah, i dont think allot was put in to some of the designs as i mentioned earlier
    The Series 691 and 541 are almost identical this is also true for the Series 641 and
    651 notes only some minor differences and color.

7. lettow

lettow Senior Member

Paddyman98 didnt take me up on my offer so I will open it up in the form of a quiz. First person to correctly answer the following three questions will get some MPC and an MPC training note.

1. What were the first two series of MPC ordered by the army?

2. In what country were the most series of MPC issued?

3. What was the series designtion for the experimental series of MPC issued in Japan?

And Paddyman98, you can still get your notes without answering the questions. Just PM me your address.

paddyman98 likes this.
  8. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I'm going to try to answer these questions!

1. This question kind of confuses me. There were first the experimental type A and B yen intended to circulate in Korea and Japan. None went to Korea and both were used in Japan on a trial basis. Once the trial proved successful, notes were ordered and the first series ordered by the Army that bear the words "Military Payment Certificate" are the 461 and 471. Series 471 should have been 462 as it was ordered in 1946 but was changed to 471 before printing.

2. Japan

3. 100

gsalexan likes this.
  9. gsalexan

gsalexan Intaglio aficionado

I know MPC "lifted" designs from a variety of other products, but my understanding is that they were all from the Bureau of Engraving & Printing. Could you post an image of the Canada note for comparison?

10. Searcher64

Searcher64 Member

The very first was the 1943, then the 1944 used in Europe, first in Italy. Later the type 100 "A" was first used in Korea, later being issued in the Pacific, and did not last long. The "A" are harder to find. The "B" series was the next and the most today available. The first MPC was issued in Europe on 16 Sep 1946 was 461 and was issued in 18 countries. Japan had the most MPC used and it was the 100.

11. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

What is your source for that information? Can you post an example-either from your collection or an image from the internet?

I ask because that's news to me. Pretty sure no one cared about money/currency exchange while Italy was being invaded.

12. Searcher64

Searcher64 Member

It was called Allied Military Currency. Series 1943 in Italy and I have one or more. Next is the 1944 Series and the one, I also have at lest four of the French ones. There are some German ones also.

Jwt708 likes this.
  13. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Ah, I didn't think to include the AMC!

14. mpcusa

Thought i would post a few more of my rarities :)

15. mpcusa

Here,s one for you, Series 481 $10 in PCGS 53PPQ, not a super rare note but
    in this grade only a couple higher very low pops, delivered : 11,600,000

16. mpcusa

17. mpcusa

18. mpcusa

Here,s one of the most desirable notes in the whole MPC world the Series 611
    $10 also called the "Marilyn Monroe" note this example is the second highest grade
    at 66EPQ population 8,400,000 (Rare !!)

19. mpcusa

20. mpcusa

21. mpcusa

Here, another top 10 nominee Series 661 $10 in PCGS 67PPQ above rare !!
    Population: 4,800,000 seldom seen in any grade let alone this high, only
    one higher !!

Draft saved Draft deleted