$5 bill error

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by lincoln, Mar 2, 2020.

1. lincoln

lincoln Large Member

I can't find this error, but I don't know exactly where to look. IMG_20200302_123012.jpg IMG_20200302_123125.jpg
    Found in 1978, kept in a book. Bill was from a strap of fives. Anyone know what this error is called?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

4. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

If it's real, I'd say it's an amazing error! :D My guess would be if it was real, anyone who owned it previous to you would have surely sold it but who knows?!!

5. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

I don't know but I like it!!

Collecting Nut and Inspector43 like this.
  6. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I know Fred Bart at Executive Currency would buy this in a second.

7. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Huh. That is cool. May I ask where you found it.

8. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

It looks to be missing the 2nd printing. Very rare to escape into circulation.
    The 1st printing is the reverse, and the 3rd printing are the seals and serial numbers.

tommyc03 likes this.
  9. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I tried to scan an example from Bart's catalog but my scanner refused the operation. He calls it a missing face print. His example from a 1993 $20.00 FRN is going for $895.00 Gem 65 EPQ. (Winter 2019 catalog)

10. lincoln

lincoln Large Member

Unfortunately it's not mine. A friend collected it and I saw it today. She worked the office at a grocery store and would be on the lookout for any error bills after they were delivered by Brinks.

11. lincoln

lincoln Large Member

12. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Really unique, i think the question should be why it didnt get that extra dash
    of ink ?

13. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Cool error, and a great example. It’s missing the 2nd print. I copied a picture in Fred Bart’s error guide with estimates on value.
    E862BFF8-BCC5-4E15-B8D9-03F8ADDA36AC.jpeg

tommyc03 likes this.
  14. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

What a unique error.

15. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

That's a great error! You don't see many like that. It's missing the second printing and with that much ink missing it's a wonder it made it out of the BEP.

Get it out of the book and protect it properly. Depending on condition it should be worth $700 to $1000.

Tlberg likes this.
  16. lincoln

lincoln Large Member

I will get her to properly protect it. Thanks.

17. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Or properly sell it! laughhard.gif

18. lincoln

lincoln Large Member

She says she now wants to sell the bill. In your humble opinions should she get it graded? I know little about currency grading companies.

19. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

I would think grading would only help the bill sell, not to mention ensure authenticity. But it of course certification has a cost, but if the bill has considerable value, the cost of certification would only help.

CaptainMK likes this.
  20. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

We have the for sale forum on CT. Having the bill graded first would be a big plus. It assures authenticity and protects the bill.

21. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

You are never going to find another error like that for the rest of your life.
    (You could buy one, but for me the fun is in finding it. Circulation or w/e.)
    I would never sell it. It will only increase in value over time, and should be
    passed down through the family.
    In a short while the money will be spent, and there will be seller's remorse forever.

Draft saved Draft deleted