45 steel penny

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Lorenzo Jauregui, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Thanks for sharing. Going to get back to searching. Many long nights taking care of a I'll wife. Have a good night.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

I was born in 1943 and became an avid collector a few years later. I migrated to saving every steel cent I came across, and there were plenty available then. I have some nice examples, but, they all came out of circulation. Those that I put in 2X2's are still very nice. Since my collection is primarily coins from circulation I am very satisfied.

4. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

@Lorenzo Jauregui - look here. Good luck in the drawing in a couple of days!

5. bradgator2

bradgator2 Well-Known Member

Mine was $27
    [​IMG]

Dynoking and lordmarcovan like this.
  6. Bluntflame

Bluntflame Well-Known Member

I thought I was about to see some sort of near unique error for a moment! A 2 year skip on a steel planchent would be a real fun piece to see! (Not impossible either, saying a 1966 silver quarter was discovered not to long ago.)

7. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

In this case, it was more like a 2 inch skip on the author's keyboard. ;)

markr likes this.
  8. Bluntflame

Bluntflame Well-Known Member

Lol, yeah :hilarious:.

9. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

@Lorenzo Jauregui ...the rust you see on your coin is the steel. The rust is eating away the steel. It has already done irreparable damage.

The shiny spots are areas that recently lost the zinc coating exposing the fresh steel, possibly after having been cleaned. The edges of the coin will show rust too, because that’s how they were made: zinc-coated sheets that then had planchets punched out exposing the steel edge.

The hype on the internet is designed to bait you into spending more for a coin than it is worth...misrepresenting or misleading. Do your homework. Google is your friend to find good websites for all denominations. Or, you can find good info on this forum.

Welcome to Coin Talk, and I hope your wife gets better soon...Spark

Lorenzo Jauregui likes this.
  10. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

There are many factors that go into the value of a coin. Type of coin, mintage, condition, grade, demand, etc.
    Some error coins are valuable but many are not. If you want to know more about error coins, you can start by looking at many sites on the internet: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/US_Error_Coins
    http://www.error-ref.com/
    These are just 2 of them.
    Welcome to Coin Talk.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
    Spark1951 likes this.
  11. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

You can go into any coin shop and they will have a box of these, and you can pull out much better examples for 10-15 cents each.
    It wasn't that the coins weren't needed in 1943, they needed the copper to kill the Nazi's.

Martha Lynn and Spark1951 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted