44 steel?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Kylewb, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Kylewb

Kylewb New Member

I've been doing a little digging I hope it pays off

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

The last digit looks strange. Could be a damaged 1943 Cent.

4. Kylewb

Kylewb New Member

I so would have loved to have written it off at as a damaged 43 a long time ago. In different lights it shows different things and I would swear there is another what appears to be additional (4) very close to the rim below the date

5. Kylewb

Kylewb New Member

6. Kylewb

Kylewb New Member

7. Kylewb

Kylewb New Member

8. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

9. Kylewb

Kylewb New Member

I have literally put some effort into checking and it could actually be worth more then what this website and others suggest if all these little details are just errors. I'm really looking for somebody that know something most people don't to tell me that more than likely these type of errors are legit

10. Michael K

Send it in and have it graded.

Kentucky likes this.
  11. Kylewb

Kylewb New Member

Obviously the first thing that comes up when you type 44 steel penny is to check it with a magnet. It is definitely not just plated

12. Kylewb

Kylewb New Member

Anyway if you know anyone that has real knowledge feel free to tag them or share the link

13. Michael K

I appreciate your disrespect of my knowledge.
    If you think it is genuine have it graded, and auction it off at Heritage.
    Those are the experts you seek.

Kentucky and Rassi like this.
  14. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

Personally, I think the coin is an altered 1943. Poorly done at that. It's too much coincidence that the one detail that determines a 50 cent coin from a coin worth hundreds of thousands of dollars, looks like that. Now anything is possible, but the possibility of being altered is much greater than a 44 steel. Just my opinion.

Kentucky, Rassi, fish4uinmd and 5 others like this.
  15. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Almost looks like someone was in the process of trying to alter a '43, but gave up. Hope I am wrong.

Evan8 and Michael K like this.
  16. Michael K

Yes it would be exciting to have a 44 steelie.
    Of course the odds are that it is something else, as I tried to explain to no avail.

17. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Don't you love a new member who asks for advice, then puts down someone who offers it? You can't make up this stuff.

18. Kylewb

Kylewb New Member

I'm definitely keeping an open mind when it comes to all of this. but the way I figure it is that there are so many unknowns as to how the coin even exist. I've been through so many coins in the last month that is just unreal I've seen all the versions of the wheat and Memorial Lincoln cent. Everything is telling me that this is a experimental toy. I can see two grown men goofing around in the treasury drinking XO bottles

19. Kylewb

Kylewb New Member

My apologies I honestly did not mean to disrespect you. Other frustrations have been weighing upon me. I guess I was just looking for deeper answers rather than the simple answers you get as soon as you type it into Google. I do plan on getting it graded but I was kind of looking for someone to immediately rule it out as swing and miss If it is fake. That would tell me if I need to continue

20. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

OK..I am ruling it out as not genuine. But maybe my 31 years if collecting Mint Errors doesn't count ;)

Evan8 likes this.
  21. Mad Stax

Mad Stax Well-Known Member

I'd love to see it come back as genuine, but being that PCGS estimates only 75 exist in all grades, and many of those are severely damaged due to steel cents being highly prone to environmental damage I doubt it is in fact a 1944 steel cent.
    Being that the 1943 copper and 1944 steel cents are well known to virtually every coin collector and are easy to detect, unlike say a subtle double die, it would also be hard to believe that a genuine example would go undetected for 73 years.
    If you found a holy grail coin... awesome! I wouldn't count on that though... I've been a CT member for less than a year, and have seen countless threads where OP owns a possible 44 steelie in my short time here. None of those coins ended up being legit, or at least weren't reported to be by the OP.
    Virtually all of them have either odd enviro damage or are attempted counterfeits by unscrupulous individuals.

Stevearino, Bambam8778 and paddyman98 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted