42 mm Ptolemy Bronze described correctly?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Collect89, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

Awesome. :):):)

Andres2 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

I just picked this one up. 79.27g. For some reason, the seller didn't list the diameter. It is in transit, so I am patiently (not) awaiting its arrival.

Greece Ptolemy 221 01.jpg

4. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Ok, I will pick up the bow and shoot the target on your back! I jest GOTTA do it! :D However, it won't be with a Ptolemy coin, it will be with a HANNIBAL coin. This is my largest STAMPED coin (I know CAST coins can be much larger in my Republican Rome experiences...)

After he was defeated by Scipio at the Battle of Zama in 202 BCE to end the 2nd Punic War (or appropriately The 2nd World War), Hannibal was summoned back to Carthage to govern and organize their finances and clean up the shambles from the War. He pounded out some incredibly huge coins as 15 Shekels pieces, (what, approx 30 Denarii or approx 30 Drachmae?) These were probly used to help pay the enormous war reparations and indemnities to Rome...

This is my largest ancient stamped coin (would love to see the hammers used to pound out these mongo pond skippers.)
    upload_2018-10-9_21-50-24.png
    upload_2018-10-9_21-51-40.png
    Carthage 201-175 BC Æ 15 Shekels 45 mm, 7.5 mm thick, 102g WreathTanit Horse uraeus above. MAA 104 SNG Cop 400 RARE

(LOL, yeah, had to "pound" on ya @Severus Alexander ! :D he-he-heh)

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    Collect89, Pellinore, Bing and 8 others like this.
  5. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

:nailbiting::arghh::blackeye::hurting::dead:

But I know a coin here that can get revenge for me... :vamp:

Alegandron likes this.
  6. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

7. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

I held one of those in my hand & really really really need to get one into my collection while I still have the strength to lift it.
    IMG_1146.JPG
    IMG_1147.JPG
    You may recognize this as TIF's coin. Yes, she made me give it back.

Bing, TIF, Johndakerftw and 3 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted