42/1 Mercury

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Maliszewki20, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Maliszewki20

Maliszewki20 Member

What's it worth?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

The photo area of the date is too small to tell if it is an doubled die, or altered, misplaced die chip, etc. The majority of raw examples presented on CT are not real DD, but one of the other-above. But you really need a better photo to judge. Jim

4. Maliszewki20

Maliszewki20 Member

Attached Files:

5. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

If that's the real pic then it looks like a Chinese fake!! Hopefully I am wrong!
    real pic. Your pic is just too damn nice looking!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  6. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

Go into Google Images and search for "1942 over 1941 mercury dime" -- there's dozens you can study, although they are not identified as real or fake.

7. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

The diagnostic for the 1942/1 is on the reverse. All genuine examples will show a die scratch the connects the olive branch to the very bottom of the fasces. You should be able to see it on this Heritage MS66 example shown below.

[​IMG]

The date on the OP's coin looks good to me. If the die scratch is on the reverse, then the coin is genuine. Then the only problem is that the coin has been harshly cleaned.

imrich likes this.
  8. bsowa1029

bsowa1029 Franklin Half Addict

Everything is a Chinese fake, huh?

9. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Looks like it could be real.

but, cleaned

and not an unc.

[as stated on the picture]

10. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

Certainly looks real to me. As Lehigh said the diagnostic on the reverse would be the key. It does look cleaned, but still worth a pretty penny.

11. Maliszewki20

Maliszewki20 Member

Thanks for the input. Like I stated earlier I just bought it yesterday on eBay so I'll take more pics when it arrives

12. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

13. Maliszewki20

Maliszewki20 Member

So what's it worth?!?
    I'm hoping it comes back graded as unc. Details cleaned

14. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

That's a question to ask before buying, but with that said, you're not likely to come out on top with this one, especially once all is said and done. It should tell you something when a seller seems to have a solid supply of problem better date coins that are, of course, poorly described. For your sake I do hope that I am wrong, but I respectfully doubt it.

15. Maliszewki20

Maliszewki20 Member

I respect your opinion. I think it's a nice coin and if worst comes to worst I'll suck it up and move on. You win some you lose some

16. Maliszewki20

Maliszewki20 Member

17. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

Looks good, but likely AU details which would make it worth in the $500 range. Still worth having certified.

18. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

I unfortunately must stand by my earlier assessment, and would highly recommend returning it for a refund. You can still learn a lesson and move on, but do so without letting that seller take you to the bank in the process.

19. Maliszewki20

Maliszewki20 Member

Spoke to seller and told them I'm taking it to a coin shop which will have 2 PCGS reps coming Sunday.if they give me bad news I will return

20. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Must be an important shop as I didn't know that PCGS grading reps did that. Interesting.

21. Maliszewki20

Maliszewki20 Member

I didn't have any idea that they did that either until today

Draft saved Draft deleted