$400 Million in Gold Bars: Is It Still Lost or Being Hidden?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Michael K, Mar 27, 2021.

1. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

HERE IS AN ARTICLE FROM THE ASSOCIATED PRESS. THERE I HAVE NAMED MY SOURCE. THERE'S NO COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT AS THIS ARTICLE HAS BEEN COPIED AND PASTED BY DOZENS OF NEWS OUTLETS. NO ONE IS CLAIMING ANY PERSONAL LIABILITY OR FISCAL DAMAGE FROM THE POSTING OF THIS ARTICLE.

This was sent to me in an email. I am just sharing the story.
    There is nothing here that falls under any copyright infringement.

Did the FBI dig up a cache of lost Civil War gold worth about $400 million from a remote Pennsylvania forest nearly three years ago? It is still a mystery, but one that may be on its way to being solved.

https://www.kovels.com/news-news-news/400-million-in-gold-bars-is-it-still-lost-or-being-hidden.html

edited

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2021
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mammothtooth

Mammothtooth Stand up Philosopher, Vodka Taster

Sounds like the Government to me. First error was pointing them to the site.
    Dumb.....

Michael K likes this.
  4. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

If I recall correctly, the finders needed permission to dig there because the location was on federal land, and that led to the FBI being tipped off about the potential discovery.

Michael K likes this.
  5. charley

charley Well-Known Member

That is not fact. The site is State Land. The Feds tried to do an end run, by having the U.S. Attorney obtain permission from a Federal Judge to excavate an area that may yield evidence that that the site was a cultural heritage site.
    There are quite a few persons involved in this issue, and the "tip" supplier was a person doing research for the Government concerning elevation marker accuracy. This person stated he met a local fellow at a local bar that claimed he had a gold bar and the fed person saw it, and the story took off.

This is a daily topic in my area of the world, on the MD./PA. border area, and there are 3 major groups of sleuths/local historians that for the last couple of years take treks every couple of months or so. These groups know their Civil war history, and give and have given some interesting talks on this topic. There will be more stories and manipulations of whodunits, before we have any conclusion.

Good stuff.

Michael K and NOS like this.
  6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Yes there is, it is most definitely a direct violation if copyright law. Why ? Because you copied the entire text and Fair Use only allows a small portion of copyrighted work to be copied. And you also need to know that citing your source does not change anything, citing your source does not allow you to copy and use copyrighted work. The one and only thing that allows you to use copyrighted work is written permission from the person who has the copyright.

And copying what you received in an email doesn't change anything either - the work is still protected by copyright even if you are/were not aware it was protected by copyright. In other words, ignorance is not a valid excuse and or justification for breaking the law.

What you should have done, and what is legal, is to quote a small bit of the text and then post a link to the story like I did for you.

imrich likes this.
  7. Michael K

The hell with it.
    What a bunch of over officious Nazi garbage.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
    charley likes this.
  8. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
  9. Michael K

10. Michael K

11. charley

charley Well-Known Member

Baloney.

12. GDJMSP

No it isn't. It's simply the law, and it also part of the rules of this forum -

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/coin-talk-rules.34131/

5 – Copyright violations

Copyright law is very specific. It clearly states that any article may not be copied or reproduced without the express written permission of the author or holder of the copyright. And contrary to what you might think – everything is copyrighted, including pictures. What that means is that if you find what you think is a neat or very informative article or picture on another web site and you wish to share it with your friends on Coin Talk – you CANNOT just copy & paste that article on Coin Talk. It is against the law.

If you wish to share, please by all means do so. But do so in the right way. Copy the first sentence or two and paste them if you must, but it is preferable to just use your own words as an introduction and then post a link to the article you wish to share. Or a link to the picture you wish to share.

And if the article is found on a pay site where you must purchase a subscription to view that site such as Coin World or Numismatic News for example – well then you are out of luck since the link won’t work for non paying viewers. So please, absolutely DO NOT copy/paste articles from such sites.

Posting links to download sites with pirated copies of copyrighted books is not permitted.

Posts or threads that contain such copyrighted material will be edited and/or deleted.

- which each and every member of this forum have to obey and follow. You don't have to like it, you just have to do it.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  13. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

I believe that internet and message board cut-and-pastes do NOT violate copyright laws, as there is no commercial intent. Even though cutting and pasting 100% of the article might not be fair.
    Agreed, that is best.

Also agree 100% that CT can set its own rules, regardless of U.S. Copyright Law.

14. GDJMSP

Sorry, but you're flat out wrong.

15. GoldFinger1969

This gets to the whole Google situation with newspapers (i.e., Australia).

I'm unaware of any lawsuits that try to sue cut-and-paste pieces in forums like this. If you tried to SELL someone's work without paying them, then I think that's different.

I'm not a lawyer or copyright expert, just going by 20+ years of internet history here. :D

charley likes this.
  16. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I remember when all this happened. There was a lot of excitement and speculation.... Then the thing just dropped off the radar. Surely our government wouldn’t keep something that significant on the down low, would they?:rolleyes::rolleyes:

17. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Oh for crying out loud, anything as long as the Feds don't get the gold.......

18. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Tell ya something..........if I ever made a discovery like that, I'd keep my mouth shut. What's wrong with these gommers spilling the beans?

19. jfreakofkorn

jfreakofkorn Well-Known Member

Its a first for je to hear of this subject . But like they all say , the government doesnt like competition . So i suspect , they are keeping it low key to detour any attention on the subject matter in the area or in the news .

Just like the gold train that was found in poland and the government is keeping it under cover and avoiding in paying a finders fee ( and i am just guessing on that one ) . So if any of you arent aware of it , pasted a link below ( also want to mention , do not want to highjack a thread ) ;

http://worldwartwo.filminspector.com/2015/08/the-breslau-gold-train-found.html?m=1

20. GoldFinger1969

No train found.....I saw the cable TV documentary.

potty dollar 1878 likes this.
  21. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

+1,I don't think they found anything or did they?

Draft saved Draft deleted