40 down 58 to go!

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Silvergmen, Sep 12, 2020.

1. Silvergmen

Silvergmen SILVER & MORGAN Obsessed

I just purchased the 40th coin of the 98 coin Morgan set I’m trying to complete. All MS 60 or better thus far. Most the more common dates As you would expect and most MS 62-65.

Any advice as I progress on this journey? Any great sources I should know about? I buy most from local LCS and eBay. Thanks!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Long Beard

Long Beard Well-Known Member

That should make for a nice series when complete. I'd start picking off the key and semi-key dates to avoid all of them at once the closer you get to completion. Besides, they'll most likely cost more at the time if you wait.

NSP, Garlicus, Penna_Boy and 3 others like this.
  4. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Find a nice original 93-s and 89cc. And then buy a lottery ticket for the 95

Garlicus, Silvergmen and GeorgeM like this.
  5. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Buy really choice AU-58 coins for the super tough dates when you can. They can be nicer than the low Mint State coins. Having said that the number of “old time AU-58” coins is probably getting smaller because of “grade-flatiron.”

Congratulations on staying away from the advice to buy the key dates first. The prices have come down in recent years.

6. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Don't be a slave to the "matched set" mindset. Get the nicest coins that make sense for you to buy. No matter the grade, make sure they're quality coins.

7. GeorgeM

GeorgeM Well-Known Member

I'd suggest reading about VAMs and deciding if you want to include any of the niftier ones in your set. At this point, building a set that ignores them is a bit like collecting the date run without paying attention to mintmark (as collectors often did in the 19th century).

capthank and Silvergmen like this.
  8. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

I would not get hung up on the VAM die variety specially. It will distract you from your overall goal of completing a date and mint set.

Look at it this way. Collecting large cents by die variety is a major force in that segment of the hobby. Still putting together a date set is a laudable and difficult goal. Collect the way you truly want to collect.

9. Silvergmen

I do agree. I decided to focus on completing the set and not worry about the VAM’s. That said, I’m learning as I go and I’m sure at some point in the future I may want to extend the collection.

I’m also trying to avoid doing any upgrades, using all funds on the coins I don’t have yet. Anyone think that’s the wrong approach?

capthank likes this.
  10. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

When I completed my set (now long gone) I went with a nice representative 93-s and 89cc.
    My 93-S was a VF; don't remember about the 89-CC.

As for the 95 I solved that by making it my policy to NOT collect proofs.
    To this day I hold to that with one exception, my birth year set.

Even my 1856 IHC is not a proof.
    It's a Snow-3 which is deemed a business strike (except by NGC).

11. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

That’s what I would have done. I’ve thought about collecting Morgan’s in crusty original circulated grades. Vf or so. And trying to do a set like that. But too many other coins. I was going to do the cc dates in ms and got a lot of them but decided I didn’t want to pay the money for a baggy low ms 79-89-93 I find xf and au examples far mor appealing really

capthank and Paddy54 like this.
  12. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Who doesn't like like crown size coins? However I realized years ago that my Morgan collection would never be a complete set .
    I have owned over a thousand Morgans over the years....and have sold off most of them keeping a few raw rolls as well slabed specimens.
    Like a lot of series you always hit that wall where you finally realize that your goals in building a set need to be adjusted to reality.
    Not just do to cost ,but also finding the keys in the condition you want in a matched set.
    As a half dime collector I am down to the teens in the dates,and mint marks needed.
    I have now not given up.....searching for those coins needed for my set, but accepted the fact I may never complete a date set.....but ....I now enjoy the specimens that I do have no matter their condition.
    I say this as my goal was a set of high vf to xf grades or higher if possible.....
    When one looks at the mintages in the 1860's of H-10's it becomes very real of the possibility of even finding one of the 1865,1866,1867 half dimes.
    I am still on the hunt....but have learned to appreciate the variety and dates I have collected. And not to focus on filling holes in a book . It isn't so much the reaching finial destination....but to enjoying the ride. Good luck in your goals...of compleating your set.

Silvergmen, capthank and GeorgeM like this.
  13. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

I'm in about the same boat with my 50 or so of the easiest to find coins...now if I can afford a couple of coins a year then I can complete my full set in about 24 years...I'm 70 now so I'll only be 94 If I complete the set...Wow!!!

14. jgrinz

jgrinz Senior Member

I have completed the 105 coin set of Morgans which includes varieties.
    It is possible with in a budget.
    I also do not think it has been mentioned yet … do not be a slave to the plastic. Learn grading well. If you get one under graded in plastic great - over graded, well be able to tell. I have sent back numerous coins as they were down right wrong grades. The lowest I have is a 1893cc in F15 - though I did spend some cash on a nice 1893-s VF30.
    Work with in your budget but also know when you see a bargain get it.
    Good Luck

Silvergmen and capthank like this.
  15. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Messydesk is right. All Morgans are great with most, but not all, being of very good quality. Choose wisely...

16. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

I'm like many of you, in that I started my set of Morgans after my father died and left my brother and I 20 Morgans. I was so impressed by the looks of the coins my father left us, it started me on a limited budget Morgan coins hunt. I now have 35 Morgans, however, 10 of them are 1921. I only bought about 12 of those. My brother just stuck his in a closet. I've offered to buy them from him, with no response. I recently bought an 1878 S, NGC: MS64. Some of the coins (not 1921) have what looks like toning an the outer edge of the coins. I notice some coins that are minted fetch a higher bid. I'm trying to find a camera that will take pictures of my coins, but I am way out on a limb to decide a camera within a budget of less than $100 that will take pictures that I can show. Any ideas? What about the toning? You guys and gals are great. Thanks for all you do. I especially like it when you catch some people doing something that they need to stay away from.

17. bradgator2

bradgator2 Well-Known Member

It’s a long journey. I’ve got the 93s and 94 to go. I didnt mind going with honest but well circulated coins in those (many) hard years. I tried to do gem graded PLs in those “easy” years. I didn’t specifically go after VAMs... but did go after the major varieties. Which are technically VAMs because every Morgan is a VAM. For example, I have 4 1878: the 8 TF, rev of 78, rev of 79, and a super sweet 7/8 TF. A 82 O/S which is super cool.

Just ordered a new 79cc Capped Die VAM3 that is on the way. That one is super funky with a crazy CC mint mark over a CC mint mark.

The 89cc is being talked about alot, I recently acquired it. It’s very handsome to me. And was twice the price of my PCGS 82S in 66+.

526A506B-5666-4967-9185-AE232722E947.jpeg

My organization. I need to make some new top labels for the more recent additions.
    5798243E-21D2-4DCE-B75A-988CC8F98299.jpeg

18. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

Where did you get your box for your Morgans. Although I only have about 25 (35 with 10 1921s), I would like to get a box or whatever you call it. THNX!

19. Mike Davis

Mike Davis Well-Known Member

I started a set of Morgans back in the 80's, was concentrating on New Orleans mint since I'm from Louisiana. All uncirculated do far, but am down to the harder ones and will likely have to settle for the best circulated I can afford. I'm down to needing the 1893 & 95 O.

20. bradgator2

bradgator2 Well-Known Member

Me? I got it at harbor freight. It’s a colossal pain in the butt. For starters, every slab is a tad different.... in all 3 directions. So each slot is a custom foam piece. And then, what do you do if you add a variety? I cant simply bump everything down a notch because every slot is custom.

In hindsight, I am thinking a standard NGC box or something would be better. Although you’ll end up needing several. And where would I put my GSA 84cc? lol First world problems.

capthank likes this.
  21. Silvergmen

Wow, you are super close! Most of my coins are raw in an album but the expensive ones are slabbed. Nice organization I bet that is tough work to fit them in like that.

bradgator2 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted