4 Morgans Need Help

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by WM_CoinCollector, Nov 21, 2017.

1. WM_CoinCollector

WM_CoinCollector New Member

Hey guys,

I've got a friend at work who inherrited a small collection of coins. Most are common date nickels, dimes, and quarters but there are a few morgans. I picked out the top 4 and need your input on condition/value. He would like to sell them. The 4 include the following :
    - 1878 CC

- 1878 8TF

- 1878 7TF

- 1885 O

I think the 3 78's have been heavily cleaned so it has me on the fence for what there value is. The 85 has some kind of mark on the obverse.. maybe spot tonning??

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. FBLfinder

FBLfinder Active Member

3 of the 4 do look cleaned but those three are the first year and with varieties... maybe $30-40 a piece. The 1885o is mint state and would be worth $50-60.

eddiespin likes this.
  4. WM_CoinCollector

According to PCGS the 78's are worth more than $30-40. The opening price for the 78CC is around $105 but I think it grades a little higher than that.

Do you think the cleaning brings these down to the $30-40 range?

5. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

The CC should hold it's own and probably a 150 coin, the 7 and 8 tf look like problem coins from your photos.

6. fish4uinmd

fish4uinmd Well-Known Member

Probably...most collectors do not want cleaned coins...even "lightly" cleaned. If your 78 7TF is a 3rd rev it's worth about $20 more (if cleaned that would put it at
    ~ 55.00), but I can't tell from the picture. Welcome to CT.

7. WM_CoinCollector

Here's some more pictures of the 78 7TF (not sure if they are any better)

So bottom line the 78's are worth about $35(unless the 7TF is rev 3) even though one is a CC?

Would a dealer even want to buy cleaned coins? I own a few morgans but they are mostly in BUs and I have never tried selling coins back to a dealer.

Attached Files:

8. fish4uinmd

It appears your 7TF is a 2nd rev. Some dealers make a market in cleaned coins (ie. Eternity)...and there's nothing really "wrong" with the coin itself, but it cuts the value in half, imo. FYI... http://www.pcgscoinfacts.com/Coin/Detail/7074

9. WM_CoinCollector

Thanks. So we might be looking at ~$150 for the 4 together.

10. fish4uinmd

WM, it's hard to say w/o seeing the coins in hand. Keep in mind what @FBLfinder said above. The 78CC could be worth ~130 on it's own...a good bit more if it's not cleaned...good luck. BTW, Welcome to CT.

11. WM_CoinCollector

Thanks, I've been a lurker for a while.

The 78 CC is the one I'm having the hardest time with. It is definitely a cleaned coin and I believe it grades out at about a VF20 which is $149 according to PCGS. But I know that $149 value is for a coin without issues.

I'm afraid that it was also cleaned pretty aggressively. All the high spots have a very smooth dull gray appearance vs the rest of the coin.

12. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

I would say $200 for the lot is fair. Maybe $250 if the CC and 85-O haven't been cleaned.

13. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

From what I can see, I have a hard time seeing anyone knowledgeable paying $100 retail for that one. JMO. It's about as common as circulated CC's get.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2017
  14. WM_CoinCollector

Are you saying you wouldn't pay over 100 if the coin was problem free or you wouldn't pay over 100 for a cleaned coin?

The 85 is not cleaned but the spots on the obverse are not attractive. It would be one thing if the coin was toned evenly but this appears to be random spots maybe from a 2x2 flip??

15. tpsadler

tpsadler Numismatist

Have weighed any or all of them? Something looks funny to me .. these all are VF with strange wear patterns. Look closely at Denticals .. maybe it is just lighting of the coins and photos.

16. WM_CoinCollector

I have not weighed them. I did put a magnet to them. I think it is just the photos and the fact that they were cleaned aggressively. I will weigh them though. I think it might be because of the way they were cleaned.

17. tpsadler

tpsadler Numismatist

I seem to be having a problem with my computer. The 85 is definitely better than VF didn't see that one originally. If good it would be Slider-MS62 ... The CC needs to be verified.. When I get my computer stabilized I'll look again.

18. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Welcome to CT. Love those ‘78 variations but they look to me as if they’ve cleaned.

19. WM_CoinCollector

Weighed each and they were right at ~412 grains each.

20. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

Sorry, I was referring to what I think I see in the picture, a harshly cleaned coin. (1878CC)

21. WM_CoinCollector

Ok that’s what I thought but wanted to verify. I’m thinking something I’m the $75 range is fair given the cleaning it’s been given.

longshot likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted