4 modest Roman provincials

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by chrsmat71, Feb 13, 2016.

1. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

Here are some more coins I recently picked up out of a lot of mixed stuff. I've had fun IDing these coins, they are pretty interesting if not the highest grade stuff.

Mesopotamia

[​IMG]

Trajan Decius, 249-251 AD, Edessa, Mesopotamia.
    O: AVT G DEKIC CEB, radiate, draped bust of Trajan Decius right R: KOL EDECCA, Veiled and turreted bust of Cybele left, 19 mm, 5.0 g

Syria

[​IMG]

Diadumenian. Caesar, A.D. 217-218. Syria, Antioch.
    O: KAI M O Δ ANTΩNINOC CEB. Bare headed, draped and cuirassed bust right. R: S • C, Δ above, e below; within laurel wreath , 20 mm, 4.0g

Decapolis

[​IMG]

Gordian III (238-244 AD), Nysa-Scythopolis, Decapolis
    Draped and cuirassed bust of Gordian III right, seen from rear, laureate / Tyche-Nysa seated on throne right, holding infant Dionysus in her arms. Delta T across fields (Dated Pompeian Era 304, AD 240/1). 24 mm, 10.7 g

I really had fun with this one, I thought Decapolis was a city, it's a region of 10 cities (it means "10 city"). This was minted in what is Israel today.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decapolis

The dating of this coin is interesting as well. Across the fields of the reverse you can see the T on the right, and faintly the delta on the left (better in hand). This is year 304 of the Pompeian Era. I didn't know about this date system, if you don't either, check this out (it's very short)....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pompeian_era

This last one is fairly rare, I could only find two others online. Neat reverse.

[​IMG]

Caracalla, Caesar 196-198 AD, Assarion, Nicopolis ad Istrum
    O: MAR AU KA - ANTWNI, bust right. R: NIKOPOLIT PROS ISTRON. basket of fruit. 18 mm, 2.9 g

Post in AE provincials you like from Nicopolis ad Istrum, Decapolis, Mesopotamia, or Syria!

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tbc

tbc Well-Known Member

And a neat colour on the last one too....nice 3

4. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

I love the reverse on the Caracalla

5. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Great quartet!! I love provincials :)

6. Cyrrhus

Cyrrhus Well-Known Member

LOT OF MIXED STUFF? WHERE? :)) i LOVE THEM

7. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

Rare or, at least, scarce coins. Wise picker. Congrats..

8. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Yours is much nicer than mine! I really doubt that these are all that rare but they are not the level of coin that the big online sellers are going to bother putting online individually. Mine was $2. Yours could have been at least ten times that amount and still been of no interest to the big dogs but a lot of interest to me. Nice coin! In your listing, I would point out that it is a coin of his period as Caesar (before he was Augustus) 196-198 AD.
    gi1230bb1109.jpg

My Diadumenian is a little more legible and might make the list for low end sellers but still would need to be a lot better tooking to make a CNG sale, for example. I don't know if it is more common than the Caracalla but it would be easier to sell since there are plenty of one-per collectors who want a Diadumenian.
    gi1660bb0650.jpg

There are a lot of these little Greek Imperials. Some have interesting reverses and reasonable workmanship. Others are great for people who want a low price entry into ancient coins.

chrsmat71, zumbly, Alegandron and 5 others like this.
  9. YOC

YOC Well-Known Member

They are all very nice ... very nice mixed up patina too. We're these from an auction? I'd like to buy a few provincial coins?

Eng likes this.
  10. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I love provincials too!
    [​IMG]
    Septimius Severus, AD 193-211
    AE, 2.9g, 16.5mm; 8h; Nikopolis ad Istrum
    Obv.: [AV KAI CE] - CEVHPOC; laureate head right
    Rev.: [NIK]OΠOΛI - T. ΠPOC [IC]; Hermes nude, chlamys over left arm, holding kerykeion in left arm and purse in extended right hand
    (Sorry for the bad photo...no tripod at the time it was taken)

[​IMG]
    Septimius Severus, Nikopolis ad Istrum, AD 139-211
    AE, 3.11g, 16.5mm; 2h
    Obv.: AV KAI [CE] CEVHPOC, laureate head right
    Rev.: NIKOΠΟΛΙΤΩΝ ΠΡΟCICT; crescent and one star
    Ref.: AMNG 1436v; Nikopolis BMC 17
    Unsure why Wildwinds does not include the final C on the obv even though all the pictures they have include it. My coin includes it so the C is mentioned in the obv legend. Also, the [CE] is off flan.

chrsmat71, zumbly, Alegandron and 8 others like this.
  11. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

jwt's first coin is a particularly nice example with fully nippled purse.

Jwt708 likes this.
  12. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Great additions, Chris. Really like the Diadumenian.

swamp yankee likes this.
  13. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Whoohoo! My coin got a compliment from Doug! It is a very lovely coin. I need to reshoot andit was one of the few I brought with me to the Academy hoping to get a better image. This one is better but not where I want it. My hands aren't steady enough and the lights were too yellow.

Alegandron likes this.
  14. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

I also chose 4 provincials : The first is from Edessa under Elagabalus, with Tyche and river god on reverse. The second is from Berytus under Gordian III, with god of the sea Poseidon on reverse. The third and the fourth were struck in Antioch, they represent respectively an Assarion by Diadumenian and Valens with a scarce ElgbTyche 001.jpg 001.jpg GordPos O 001.jpg GordPos R 001.jpg DiaR O Ant     SGI 3017.jpg DiaRBMC 408 Assarion.jpg Valens O          Victory.jpg Valens R           ANT gamma.jpg variety of Victory on reverse. Hope they please you.

chrsmat71, zumbly, Alegandron and 2 others like this.
  15. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Wow chrsmat => those are "4" very sweet OP-additions (congrats)

=> wow, I'm absolutely loving the "basket of fruit" addition (sweet coin)

Ummm, sadly I only have this one sweet thread-addition ...

Diadumenian, AE19
    Antioch, Syria
    217-218 AD
    Diameter: 19.4 mm
    Weight: 3.2 grams
    Obv: KAI O DIA ANTWNINOS, bare-headed, draped and cuirassed
    bust right
    Rev: Large SC within wreath, star over delta-epsilon above,
    eagle below

diada.jpg diadb.jpg

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
    chrsmat71, Bing, Eng and 1 other person like this.
  16. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Oh, and I also have this kinda-the-same Gordian-III example ...

=> they're both from Decapolis ...

SYRIA, Decapolis. Gadara. Gordian III AE26
    238-244 A.D.
    Dated CY 303 (AD 239/40)
    Diameter: 26 mm
    Weight: 13.34 grams
    Obverse: Laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right
    Reverse: Galley left with captain, seven oarsmen, and steersman on deck; ΓT (date) below
    Reference: Spijkerman 93; Rosenberger 90; SNG ANS 1332-8

syria oarsmen.jpg

=> again, I "love" all four of your new OP-coin additions (you're a good sh*t, and I hope that you have a great Saturday night, my cool coin-friend)

zumbly, chrsmat71, Alegandron and 4 others like this.
  17. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

Wow Chris awesome coins, are these free you can send them to me, i'm the oldest YN in the group.:)

stevex6 likes this.
  18. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

An interesting group pf coins Chris. Congrats. I have nothing like them.

19. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

thanks for the postings, information, and coin compliments everyone.

@YOC , these were in a couple of auctioned lots. the firt two can be seen in the first pic below, and the second two in the second pic. the caracalla/basket coin drew my eye to the second lot...the byzantine trachys to the first. i'm still IDing some of the coin. you can see some other stuff i've posted here recently has well.

s-l1600.jpg
    bncvnc.jpg

stevex6, Bing and 7Calbrey like this.
  20. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Ooh, nice... provincial attribution fun... that last greenie from Nicopolis is a keeper! I don't seem to have any from Decapolis, but I'll throw in one each from Mesopotamia and Nicopolis.

upload_2016-2-14_16-53-37.png
    GORDIAN III
    AE28
    13.11g, 28.5mm
    MOESIA INFERIOR, Nicopolis ad Istrum, circa AD 238-244, magistrate Modestus
    Varbanov 4233 (R4)
    O: AΥT K M ANTω ΓOΡΔIANOC AΓ (AΓ ligate), laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right, seen from behind.
    R: ΥΠ CAB MOΔECTOΥ NIKOΠOΛEITΩN ΠΡOC ICTΡON, Tetrastyle temple containing statue of Tyche standing left, holding rudder and cornucopia; shield and spear in pediment.

upload_2016-2-14_16-54-49.png
    JULIA MAMAEA
    AE26
    11.42g, 26.5mm
    MESOPOTAMIA, Nisibis, circa AD 222-235
    SNG Cop 236; BMC 10 var (no crescent beneath portrait)
    O: IOV MAMEA CEBACTH, diademed draped bust right.
    R: CEP KOLO NECIBI MHT, turreted, veiled, draped Tyche right, topped by Aries the Ram right with head turned left; in front of chin a star.

Bing, stevex6 and TIF like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted