4 generations of coin hoarding

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Kevin Dore, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Ron W

Ron W Member

I have been involved in this situation several times, being that our family has an Estate Sales business and I handle the coin/currency collections for them.
    Happens quite often that family members cherry pick through everything.
    Good Luck

Kevin Dore likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kevin Dore

Kevin Dore Active Member

At this point I won't make an offer unless she shows interest in selling stuff first. I think she is more interested in knowing the value of what is left. She was happy to know at least what the silver she had left was worth. I let her know spot price and what she could expect from a local dealer for melt. Told her that she could get a slightly higher premium on some of the mercury dimes if she sold them herself on ebay or the like. I'm just going to organize everything a little better for them and give her an inventory of it all and what it's worth in today's market. She will be very happy with that.

4. CoinBlazer

CoinBlazer Numismatic Enthusiast

Anyone remember those 2 rolls of BU silver quarters I had? Those I got from a guy after doing about 30 minutes of sorting through his collection that his father had. He was so fascinated (and a bit tipsy) that he just gave them to me for my help. Any I didnt even do much. Just told him what is good and what is only worth melt
    I personally love sorting collections people have and telling them about it

5. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

In case no one knows, the ANA web site lists a small book called "Managing and Settling a Numismatic Estate" for less than $9 at money.org. Sounds like a good deal.

6. silencer

silencer New Member

greed!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Santinidollar likes this.
  7. Bert Gedin

Bert Gedin Well-Known Member

You must be doing you very best for that poor lady, K.D. Do let us know of the outcome, hopefully it isn't too drastic !

8. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Several years ago, my mom took a fall and was never able to return home. Each time I went to her house, I could tell that someone had been there searching.
    It hurt me to think that someone in the family would do something like that. I'll never know what was taken but it's not important. Mom is happy and has great care.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  9. Bert Gedin

Bert Gedin Well-Known Member

It's quite disturbing to learn about the greed, exploitation and selfishness by people from who one might expect devotion and love. But there are also examples of concern and helpfulness. One would hope that, overwhelmingly, it is the positive qualities that matter. After all, showing friendship in a spirit of sincerity has it's own rewards.

10. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

I found it a little hard to believe that 4 generations of 'savers' didn't have more than just 1 interested enough to go through some. I would suspect many hands have dipped there before. As collectors , we should remember to specify someone trusted , to after death , receive and administer such for the estate. Photographing assets before death also intimidate those that might think your family wouldn't miss this 1877 Indian cent.

Draft saved Draft deleted