4 for the 4th! Show Us Your Americana!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by MIGuy, Jul 4, 2022.

1. MIGuy

MIGuy Supporter! Supporter

I thought it would be fun to start with Fireworks (Ft. McHenry 5 oz silver hockey puck) Following the burning of the Nation’s capitol and other federal buildings in August 1814, British forces attacked Baltimore. Francis Scott Key, a poet-lawyer, witnessed the September 13-14 bombardment of Fort McHenry while under British guard on an American truce ship in the Patapsco River. Seeing his country’s flag still flying over the fort the next morning, he was moved to pen “The Star-Spangled Banner.” Next up, a 1723 Rosa Americana Penny. I think it's amusing that William Wood (copper and tin mine owner) got the royal indenture to produce the Rosa Americana coins (American Rose) for the American colonies and Ireland through the King's Mistress - the Duchess of Kendal. However the coins were underweight and didn't correspond to existing coinage and New York merchants refused to accept them. Also his planchets were poorly made and porous - my example exhibits a common delamination / corrosion issue as a consequence. Finally the famous first circulation US federal coin, designed by Benjamin Franklin, the 1787 Fugio Cent, and for contrast, one of our newest quarters, and also a beautiful design in my view, a Proof 70 perfect silver Maya Angelou quarter for 2022. What are your 4 (more or less) for the 4th? I hope everyone has a wonderful day!

4for4one.JPG 4for4two.JPG 4for4back.JPG

Scott J, alurid, ddddd and 7 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Since it's four for the Fourth, here are four American coins with dates that end in "4".

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

4. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

The 2012 Star Spangled Banner Commemorative Silver Dollar and $5 gold.

Star Banner $1 All.jpg Star Banner $5 All.jpg

INDE1977, Cheech9712, Scott J and 9 others like this.
  5. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

BIcentennial Wagon Train B.jpg
    American Freedom Train bi ce 1-vert.jpg

Last edited: Jul 4, 2022
    Scott J, alurid, ddddd and 7 others like this.
  6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

7. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

8. Paddy54

9. Paddy54

10. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Here is one of mine:
    IMG_5701.JPG IMG_5702.JPG IMG_5703.JPG

dwhiz, Scott J, alurid and 4 others like this.
  11. daniel a DiBiasio

daniel a DiBiasio Well-Known Member

12. Paddy54

Oh say can you see... the birth place of our National Anthem.

All my life I've been extremely proud of my bith place in South Baltimore....If you never been to Maryland
    it's definitely something one should add to their bucket list.
    After you tour the fort its not over...as if you take a water tour...you'll see the fort from another perspective.
    Ft Carroll sits just south of the Key bridge, along with Ft. Smallwood,and Ft Armstead.
    These too played a part in the defence of Baltimore.
    The British sent toops to the south east side of the city...as our patriot fathers at Ft. McHenery weren't going to allow one British ship past the point heading up to the inner harbour.
    Now with the British trying to out flank met our forces on the East side ....they met their match ...and a sniper took out their general...at the battle of Long point....the second in command chose to retreat....as he was now afraid to advance...in fear of our forces.

Happy 4th everyone..., and many thanks to all those who have defended U.S. past and present...and granted us our freedom.

The medal above of the U.S.S. John W. Brown was constructed across the river from the fort.

She's one of the last Liberty ships
    download.jpeg.jpg images.jpeg.jpg FOMC_Maryland-Governor-s-Office_300_4x6-1.jpg service-pnp-cph-3a00000-3a05000-3a05500-3a05514r.jpg 4100_01_LG.jpg

Last edited: Jul 4, 2022
    dwhiz, micbraun, ddddd and 3 others like this.
  13. daniel a DiBiasio

daniel a DiBiasio Well-Known Member

14. Mac McDonald

Mac McDonald Well-Known Member

Can't show any numismatic photos...althought there are several examples of these great American Patriots...but here's some incredible 4th of July AMERICANA that some may not have known about...and more than sheer coincidence: Three of our earliest presidents...all Founding Fathers from the original 1776 4th of July and our American Revolution, the Declaration, our Constitution of 1787, the Bill of Rights, etc, etc...all passed away on a July 4, and two of the three...Thomas Jefferson and John Adams...died independently of each other several hundred miles apart on the very same July 4th in 1826, 50 years to the day after July 4, 1776...! James Monroe died exactly 5 years later on Jult 4, 1831. Have a meaningul and thankful Independence Day.

dwhiz, Inspector43 and MIGuy like this.
  15. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Oddly enough, these are not collector favorites, but they resonate with me.

Phil Sesqui half dol.jpg

1926 Sesqui Gold 250 All.jpg

dwhiz, micbraun, Scott J and 4 others like this.
  16. halfcent1793

halfcent1793 Well-Known Member

17. halfcent1793

halfcent1793 Well-Known Member

My all-time favorite.

UHR  .jpg

dwhiz, Scott J, alurid and 3 others like this.
  18. SchwaVB57

SchwaVB57 Well-Known Member

19. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

These 4 from my pile correspond to important dates or eras in US history.

A coin from when George Washington was President:
    1794Obv.png 1794Rev.png

A coin from the year the Civil War ended, Lincoln's assassination and the end of slavery:
    1865TwoCentObverse.png
    1865TwoCentReverse.png

A coin from WWII, showing the impact of WWII on the country:
    1943CentObv.png
    1943CentRev.png

A coin celebrating the moon landing:
    2019_Apollo11Obv.png
    2019_Apollo11Rev.png

dwhiz, Scott J, halfcent1793 and 4 others like this.
  20. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

I have really enjoyed your entries to this thread. I didn't start collecting coins until I received my half of my father's coin collection. He did have some nice coins, but none that would be in many of our collections. I did start collecting in 2012 and I found many coins and medals that I have missed.
    Thanks to all of you for showing your coins. One day I will get a camera to take pictures of my precious coins. But for now, I will ogle over your collection.

dwhiz and MIGuy like this.
  21. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

well since it's the 4th and I've not seen these yet, I think they fitting :D
    4290445_Full_Obv.jpg 4290445_Full_Rev.jpg 4468165_Full_Obv.jpg 4468165_Full_Rev.jpg 4471631_Full_Obv.jpg 4471631_Full_Rev.jpg

dwhiz, Scott J, alurid and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted