4 ducat gold coin real?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by mikenaderi, May 29, 2016.

1. mikenaderi

mikenaderi New Member

coin1.jpeg coin1b.jpeg coin2.jpeg coin2 b.jpeg i have this beautiful coin / medallion but I do not know if it's real. It scratched and left a gold mark on the surface, pinged for a very long time and weighed to 13.9 grams. However, a mr. Cash for gold expert told me all was real and acid tested it and everything. Then all of a sudden after a price was established he put it on some type of scale looking device that detected it as not real? The same happened to the smaller gold coin I brought in, which he had ripped out of the gold ring band it was soldered into. I am not sure about the small coins weight but that one is iffy to me. He bought the gold ring band for 70$ though.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

4. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

It is a common bullion coin, almost always a later restrike and has been worn as a pendant for years which may account for the apparent wear, although the pictures lack definition. The mount is typical of the type of mount that was used to make these coins into jewellery and should have a carat mark on it somewhere.

Cash for gold shops pay very poor rates for gold, if it is right then you may do far better elsewhere. I'd not give up on it immediately. The best test is with an XRF scanner, which will analyse the specific elemental composition of the metal.

Rick Stachowski likes this.
  5. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

Here's a graded one I own and it's a re-strike too .

PCGS Coin Information
    PCGS # 21092
    Date, mintmark 1915
    Denomination 4 Duc
    Variety Restrike
    Country Austria
    Grade MS64
    Holder Type Standard
    Population

6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Was that the weight of just the coin, or the weight of the coin and the bezel combined ?

I ask because the coin, all by itself, should weigh 13.9 grams. So if the weight of the bezel and the coin combined was 13.9 grams - then yes it is a fake coin.

7. mikenaderi

mikenaderi New Member

The coin weighs 13.9 grams. The bezel weighs 9.

8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Then the coin is most likely genuine. As for it's value, it's bullion value - about 10% less than the current spot price.

Rick Stachowski likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted