3rd Stacks win/ another Papal States Scudo d'oro

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by panzerman, Jan 20, 2020.

1. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Papal States
    AV Scudo d'oro ND Roma Mint
    Pope Paul III 1534-45
    MS-62 (crude strike) 9c56bc21e9faf8bd39f5e966e3cff528.jpg 60301138ec71c198837bc870cb23fcb5.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

You think ex-jewelry with the gouges at 1,5,7, and 11?

panzerman likes this.
  4. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

I would say irregular flan. NGC are really good at detecting clipping/ ex: mounting. The Italian mints where known for poor mint quality.

Evan Saltis likes this.
  5. Barry Murphy

Barry Murphy Well-Known Member

Those aren’t gouges, they are the prongs from the slab core.

Barry Murphy

Evan Saltis and panzerman like this.
  6. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

nvm, Barry answered it. What I was seeing were plastic prongs.

I hate slabs...

panzerman likes this.
  7. ycon

ycon Renaissance Man

Nice coin. The dies were engraved by Cellini. https://www.cointalk.com/threads/vas-electionis-of-paul-iii-by-benvenuto-cellini.315826/

Cellini's own description:

“Messer Latino Juvinale came to call on me, and gave me orders to strike the coins of the Pope. This roused up all my enemies, who began to look about how they should hinder me; but the Pope, perceiving their drift, scolded them, and insisted that I should go on working. I took the dies in hand, designing a S. Paul, surrounded with this inscription: 'Vas electionis.' This piece of money gave far more satisfaction than the models of my competitors; so that the Pope forbade any one else to speak to him of coins, since he wished me only to have to do with them. This encouraged me to apply myself with untroubled spirit to the task; and Messer Latino Juvinale, who had received such orders from the Pope, used to introduce me to his Holiness. I had it much at heart to recover the post of stamper to the Mint; but on this point the Pope took advice, and then told me I must first obtain pardon for the homicide, and this I should get at the holy Maries day in August through the Caporioni of Rome.”

panzerman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted