3rd Annual CT March Madness Contest

Discussion in 'Contests' started by wiggam007, Mar 9, 2012.

1. wiggam007

wiggam007 Cut-Rate Parasite

It's that time of the year again: time to pick your bracket and hope that your favorite college hoops team has it in them to make it all the way (or to at least not go out before you think they will!)

For those who don't know, this Sunday is Selection Sunday where the teams who will play in the NCAA tournament will be decided. After this, you can pick the teams that you think will win each round. A correct guess earns you points and the person with the most points wins the contest.

How to play:

*PLAYERS MUST HAVE BEEN A MEMBER FOR COIN TALK ON OR BEFORE THE LAST DAY OF FEBRUARY 2012*

1) You will need to go the CBS sports website and sign up for an account (for those that played last year your account should still be there.) *NOTE* The system will use your real name on the bracket page which some members were uncomfortable with. You can either set the options to not display your name or use your username from here in place of your real name.

2) After signing up, follow this link to join the Bracket Pool that I have set up:

http://cointalk.mayhem.cbssports.com/e (if it asks for a password, it is cointalk)

3) Post on this thread saying you have signed up so I can make sure everyone is in or figure out what is going on if there is a problem.

4) After the selection show on the 11th you can enter the teams on your brackets and submit them. You have until the start of the first game to complete these or change the bracket that you have submitted. Get it in as soon as you can, you don't want to miss out!

5) Sit back, watch the games, and trash talk on the thread.

How to win:

For those that played last two years, the scoring will be the same. However, for those of you who have done brackets before, the scoring is a little different.

Normally, there are 32 possible points in each round, divided between the possible winners. So round 1 would net you 1 point for each correct pick, 2, 4, 8, 16, and 32 for the final round. However, round 1 is a little different in our contest. In addition to the 1 point you receive for a correct pick, you will also get points equal to the ranking of the team that won. So, if you picked a number 1 seed to win, you will get 1 point for the round and 1 point for their seed. This puts an emphasis on picking the correct upsets in round 1 and means that you don't have to pick the right final teams to potentially win.

The player with the highest total points will win the contest. If there is a tie, it will be broken by who guessed closest to the final score (you will enter this when you put in your bracket.) I will also be entering a bracket, but if, in the unlikely event that I would win a prize, that will be passed to the next person in line.

And now, what you have all been waiting for... The Prize:

The first year was a raw Morgan and last year was a piece of graded currency. This year I had wanted to do a nice graded coin, but I couldn't find any I liked enough to give away. So, this year is another raw coin. Although it is not the most amazing piece, hopefully it will help fill a hole in someone's type album. Anyway, here it is: an 1875-s twenty cent piece (color is a bit off in these pics I think). Also, if we get more than 30 participants, I will add another prize for second place.

1875-S 20C Rev.jpg 1875-S 20C Obv.jpg

Good Luck to those who enter and have fun!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bonbonbelly

bonbonbelly Feel MS68 Look AG3

OK, I think I signed up correctly and have the link saved. Thanks for the contest!
    Joe

4. Yacorie

Yacorie Junior Member

Thats great, thanks for the contest.

I know nothing about college basketball but always find myself filling out these brackets.

5. swish513

swish513 Penny & Cent Collector

i'm in. thanks, wiggam, for hosting it again this year!

6. mammoth29

mammoth29 Well-Known Member

Phew.. Looks like I barely qualified, I joined on Feb 21st. I signed up, thanks for the contest! GO DUKE!!!!

7. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I'm in again Wiggam. :)

Maybe I can get out of the cellar this year........

8. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Sounds like fun, I'm in.

U of KY - 1967

9. WRSiegel

WRSiegel Freshman

I'm in! Thanks for hosting!

10. cmilladoo

cmilladoo Keepin it Real

DONE!!! A way for me to use my first favorite hobby as a sports freak to suplement my second favorite hobby which is hoarding coins.....excellent my friend, the only thing better would be for someone to make a fantasy baseball league with the winner getting a coin for a prize.......hmmm, maybe i'll do that up and see how it goes.

11. jbyers23

jbyers23 Member

Amazing contest!!!! I will sign up soon as I'm done for the day!!!!! THANK YOU!

12. TouchOfGrey

TouchOfGrey Member

I'll start the trash talk now. Once I get this bracket done you're all going down!

13. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

Ha -Ha Green, Not if it's the old wine celler.

14. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

Contest

I'm in, but I have no idea why (other than trying to win that nifty 20 cent piece) or even what this is about. Too bad this is not about golf, at least I would have an idea of what to do. I signed up for the CBS link and it says Brackets are not available until March 11th. Is that when we pick our team ?

Dave

15. green18

The wine cellar's more fun Dave......for sure. :)

16. WRSiegel

WRSiegel Freshman

Dave,

The brackets are announced on Sunday the 11th at 6 pm eastern, and you can start picking your teams then.

Will

17. FMT15

FMT15 New Member

I have signed up under the same username as here. FMT15. Thanks for starting this up, sounds fun

18. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

19. snewman

snewman Active Member

Let's roll!

20. green18

I like that.......:)

21. wheatydigger

wheatydigger Member

I signed up! Thanks for the contest, fellow brony!

Draft saved Draft deleted