3cent silver pieces

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by OldSilver, Mar 23, 2012.

1. OldSilver

OldSilver New Member

Hey guys. Im headed to the whitman show tomorrow and one of my wants is a high grade 3 cent silver piece. I know the redbook has baseline prices to judge by but i was hoping some of you guys who own these coins could tell me the condition of your piece and how much you actually payed for it. Pictures would be awesome if you have the time! Thanks everyone.

-ryan

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dsmith23

dsmith23 Gotta get 'em all

look at completed auctions of ebay, teletrade, heritage, stacks, etc... that should give you some fair estimates

4. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

I don't own a 3 cent piece yet but I will try to help.

-First of all don't use Redbook as a price guide, their prices are not up-to-date.
    -Try using PCGS' Photograde to try get an eyeball idea of what a certain grade looks like.
    -Check finished auctions to get a general idea of prices
    -Be read to haggle if necessary, you never know if you can get it cheaper if you don't try.

5. Coinut

Coinut Member

I own 3 a 1852 1853 1854 XF F and F. What I paid won't apply as I bought them a few years ago but the most I paid was about $30 but I believe I got a good deal. I second the idea of checking completed listings. Also NGC has a great tool that will show you value based on grade and in my opinion has been closer to real world prices than Red Book.

6. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

There are 3 varieties of the silver 3 cent piece. Biggest thing to look for when buying one is make sure its not bent. They are so thin a bend easily.

7. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

Well, I have two. But it will be of no help to you, sorry. Just showing them here, though.

I bought my first one for $4 I think, in about 1970-1972ish. The second one I bought sometime around 1986-1990ish for $5. I knew nothing about them, but I was intrigued by the smallness of them, and they were silver. As you can see from the pics, I had no discernable talent at spotting a nice coin then. They both are problem coins.

I bought both in coin shops, and the deciding factors were that they were 3 cent pieces, and cheap enough for me to afford. Ha. The first one was the first coin I bought.

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted