330 AD Roman

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Craigescape, Nov 18, 2018.

1. Craigescape

Craigescape Member

They are in sad shape but I would like to know more about them. Any information would help.

Attached Files:

ancient coin hunter likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Orange Julius

Orange Julius Well-Known Member

The one with the spiky crown is probably Claudius II with a PAX AVG reverse 268-270AD.

The two other bronzes are "fallen horseman" coins with the reverse legend FEL TEMP REPARATIO... from the early to mid 350s AD. They are too rough to tell who the emperor was... but probably Constantius II. I think I see the obverse busts wearing diadems (headband).... and if so, it is Constantius II for both.

That last silver is not roman... maybe an Ottoman akce.

Usually you should start a different thread for each because it gets confusing taking about several coins in a thread... but this is about all of the information you will get out of them in the shape they are in.

Anyway, a good starter set for learning more and researching the late empire!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
  4. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

The middle 2 are the soldier-spearing-fallen-horseman type with the legend "Return of the happy times". In the mid fourth century the ethos was such that such a depiction would be regarded as happy, I guess because of victory over the barbarians. Anyhoo, Constantius II must have struck millions of these coins.

5. Craigescape

Craigescape Member

Orange Julius and Ancient Coin Hunter, thank you for the information

ancient coin hunter likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted