33 Washington Quarters to go - The Expesive ones

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by phankins11, Aug 30, 2016.

1. phankins11

phankins11 Well-Known Member

Been working on this set the longest. This set is also my introduction to serious collecting. It'd probably be done if I knew how to focus on just one thing...but there's ALWAYS too many cool coins to pass up. I started this set at 1998 and moved backward. My thought was I'd learn on the inexpensive ones and hopefully by the time I got to the expressive ones I'd know what I was doing....well I'm to the expensive ones...we'll just leave it at that.

33 more coins to go. This number includes an upgrade for the 1932 D (1), the empty holes on the first page (17), The proofs that are not included in the default set of pages. I added an extra page for these (12) and the Type Bs that I don't have (3).

The toners in the last page are of course much more colorful in hand than in this pic. Here is a link to better pics of those. http://mycoins.hankinsfamilyonline.com/?easy-photo-album=toned-silver-washington-quarters#more-345

2016-08-28 19.14.23.jpg

2016-08-28 19.08.39.jpg

2016-08-28 19.08.50.jpg
    2016-08-28 19.09.00.jpg
    2016-08-28 19.09.12.jpg
    2016-08-28 19.09.30.jpg
    2016-08-28 19.10.25.jpg
    2016-08-28 19.12.19.jpg

2016-08-28 19.12.50.jpg

Attached Files:

dlhill132, fish4uinmd, MKent and 18 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

Nice set!

phankins11 likes this.
  4. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

YIKES! Early proofs and Business strikes to finish - I don't envy you or your wallet!!:nailbiting: NICE 32 & 32-D!

phankins11 and Daniel Jones like this.
  5. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

You still need spots for the 1964 Type B and the 1964 D Type C ;)

phankins11 likes this.
  6. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

The funny part is that it might be easier to find the 1936-42 proof Washingtons than for ANY of the other coins included in those sets.

phankins11 likes this.
  7. Daniel Jones

Daniel Jones Well-Known Member

Your set still looks really fun! I know how you said you love this series. The closest I have to yours is my year type series 1929-2009, which has each year, including those 1950 onward proof's.

phankins11 likes this.
  8. Yankee42

Yankee42 Well-Known Member

What grades are you going for on the first page?

9. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

Cool, I see that '50 proof hole is still empty.

phankins11 likes this.
  10. phankins11

Oh man, we both tried ....:(

11. phankins11

I've tried to stick with MS63-64. Some of the more affordable coins are higher grade. It's gonna cost me fo sure, but I'm not in a huge hury...I love the hunt.

you know I didn't realize I didn't leave a hole for the 64 type B...have to move the toners down. 64-D type C....I wish, although I look at every 64D i come accross, you never kmow.

Edit....

I was confusing the 64 D Type C with the 65 on a silver planchet (wrong metal planchet)...you're right I should add the 64 D type C to the list.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  12. Garlicus

Garlicus Debt is dumb, cash is king.

Very nice set, so far!!! May the gods shine upon you, and make completing it an easier than hoped for task.

phankins11 likes this.
  13. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

It should be relatively easy for you to find a BU 1959 Type B if you can search a few mint sets. They will usually also have the Type B Franklins. The 56, 62, and 64 are much harder to find...although I seem to have a decent hoard of circulated Type B from each year (at least a few from each year, anyway...)

The Type C are pretty hard to come by. I've looked though the LCS junk silver every week for years and never found one. The only ones I've found have been on eBay, and I feel lucky to have even found those (I think I have four?) at all.

phankins11 likes this.
  14. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

So have you expanded the 8140 album out to 10 pages? That's got to be a satisfyingly hefty album to hold.

15. Skyman

Skyman Well-Known Member

Congratulations and good luck with it all!!

Watch out, you may find that you'll want to start another set of the more common date/mm coins... ;)

16. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Love your proofs. All three of my Washingtons are proof for 1942, 1950 and 1954 proof sets I assembled.

phankins11 likes this.
  17. phankins11

Yes and Yes it is :rolleyes:

Ummm...yea....that set is slowly stacking up in a red, double wide 2x2 cardboard storage box :D

18. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

Love your set...I,m still looking for the 64 type c as well, but has anyone found any or the illusive 56-64-d type b rev?

19. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

Surprised that Dansco recognizes the '79 proof Type 2 but not the '81

20. phankins11

The Roosevelt dime Dansco I have does the same thing. I have it, been meaning to put it in a hole in the back with the other proofs...Not sure why Dansco did that.

I wasn't aware of a any Denver Type Bs...as far as I knew they were only from the Phili mint and that was because that's where proofs were made. , making sense that the proof reverse dies would only be at the Phili mint. Story is that it was a cost cutting measure to use worn out proof reverse dies was the catalyst for the Type Bs. Are there known Denver Type Bs?

21. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

A comment in Cherrypicker,s Guide suggests that these 56 thru 64-d type b coins are suspected to exist and to keep a lookout for these!

phankins11 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted