'33 Double Eagle

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by ddoomm1, Jul 7, 2011.

1. ddoomm1

ddoomm1 keep on running

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. zach24

zach24 DNSO 7070 71 pct complete

Family Keeps 3, 5 Auction, 2 go to government museums....

4. eric0911

eric0911 SMS-71

1 to Smithsonian, 1 to mint, 2 to family, the rest get auctioned off at different times as to not impact the price as much

5. GJ1103

GJ1103 coin addicted Navy man

I hope the family gets to keep at least two. It would only be right.

6. jcakcoin

jcakcoin New Member

Let's hope the family gets to keep all of them.

Family 2, Smithsonian 2, Mint 6

7. camlov2

camlov2 Member

7.6 million for the only one legally for sale.
    If they were allowed to keep the coins what do you think it would do to the value since the population just "exploded"?

8. ddoomm1

ddoomm1 keep on running

very good Q...def. decrease the value (and rarity) however I would say each would still be worth at least $6Mil

9. GJ1103

GJ1103 coin addicted Navy man

Man, wouldn't it be nice to be able to spend $7.6 million on one coin? Think about how much money you would have to have for that.

10. swish513

swish513 Penny & Cent Collector

why would any go to the smithsonian? they already have 2.

11. redwin117

redwin117 Junior Member

what about not less than 2 Million each.:thumb::thumb:

12. camlov2

camlov2 Member

I can't imagine that they would stay that high (6 million), I think that they would fall under 2 million as well. I understand they would still be extremely rare but how many in this hobby have 1 million+ to spend on a single coin (and would be interested in this one)?

13. RaceBannon

RaceBannon Member

Sorry DDoom. Just saw your thread after I posted mine. Oh well, mine has a slightly different twist. I ask for people's opinions on whether the family has a legal claim to the coins.

As for predicitons, I bet the side with the best attorneys gets to keep the coins.

14. Taylor101

Taylor101 New Member

Family 2, mint 0 , and rest locked up..

15. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I think the family should get all of them. If the Smithsonian wants one for their collection, then the federal government should win one at auction. If the government had acted ethically from the very beginning, instead of lying to the family about submitting them for authentication and then confiscating them, it would be a different story. But, since the government is so used to stealing from everyone, i.e. $200 hammers and $600 toilet seats, they deserve what they get.

Chris

16. howboutatrade

howboutatrade Active Member

Article I read said the late father was under investigation for illegally obtaining some coins....this would prove the coins were obtained, so now the question is "Were they legally obtained" and is there a statute of limitations...not betting on the family here...be interesting to see how it finishes.

17. ddoomm1

ddoomm1 keep on running

yes..something tells me this is going to be one long case..man wouldnt it be nice to be the gov and have the power to say "nope, you stole that (regardless if you actually did)" and get to confiscate the iteam?

18. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

All it takes is two per auction -- and if there are 10 coming up, that means only 11 people (since each loser will presumably try again).

There are a LOT more than 11 people in the world who can spend a few million on a whim.

19. camlov2

camlov2 Member

There are a lot more who CAN spend that much, the question is how many of them would be interested. Maybe my opinion of the upper end coin hobby is smaller then it really is. What do you think they would sell for?

20. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Not a clue in the world. I still haven't worked up the courage to buy my first common-date Saint. :)

21. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

I agree!!
    They have been to bleed the family funds dragging the feet in this case
    Plus how can evidence in an on going case tour USA w/ANA in 2006???
    :kewl:

Draft saved Draft deleted