32k run star note

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Facevalue, Apr 21, 2016.

1. Facevalue

Facevalue Active Member

I have only found two for sale and one that sold on ebay. Looking for more info about the value of this 2009 B* I know it's well circulated but being the lowest run star note it has to hold some value. It's the bottom note IMG_20160421_155712.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

I've always thought this run ( B* run #3 ) should have grabbed the headlines (32K), but it's the St Louis Star (H* 320,000) that has garnered all of the attention. I can't wait for this run to get it's day in the sun. I've got 2 nice examples, both 66EPQ.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
  4. Facevalue

Facevalue Active Member

2009 H* ? I'll have to see if I have any of those

5. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Any idea why the H* run is so much more popular than the B*?

6. Facevalue

Facevalue Active Member

I'm guessing the H* has only 1 run with a total of 320k vs the B* has well over 640k total printed

Paul M. likes this.
  7. Dollarsavr

Dollarsavr Question everything...

Could it be that the H-* star is a LEPE run of only limited numbers?

Earl Clark likes this.
  8. Skippy Topaz

Skippy Topaz PAPERBOY

I don't really understand Runs vs Total Printed... it has a Low Run but there were almost 9 million printed, so how does that make it Low? I thought Low was either 640k or 320k? 9 million seems like a lot of notes. Is the Run Size more important that the Total Printed?

What am I not understanding?

9. SteveInTampa

Modern star note collecting is easy and hard.
    If you are only looking for a series 2009 $1 New York star note (B*) then you have almost 9 million printed, and it should be easy and inexpensive to find an uncirculated example. But, if you are an advanced Modern star note collector, and collect by runs, then finding an uncirculated series 2009 $1 New York star note from run #3 (32,000) just got a whole lot harder and more expensive.

Star note runs of 3,200,000 are usually distributed in packs of 100, and can be found easily and for not much over face. Star note runs of 640,000, 320,000 and lower are usually distributed one or two at a time in a pack of non-star notes. Advanced star note collectors, like myself, collect by runs.

This note is from run #3 (B06400001*-B06432000*) 32,000 , and it is very hard to find a star note in this range.

[​IMG]

This note is from a run of 320,000 and is much easier to find.

[​IMG]

10. Dollarsavr

Can you also supply the Back Plate serials for these notes? Thanks...

11. Numbers

Numbers Senior Member

Several things coming together:

• The H..* run was originally left off of a BEP monthly report by mistake. So when they started to appear in circulation, nobody knew how many of them had been printed.
    • The H..* run was the first run of star sheets printed on LEPE. Unlike the COPE numbering pattern, the LEPE numbering pattern doesn't allow us to calculate the number of sheets in the run from the plate positions of observed notes. So there was no good way to even estimate the number printed.
    • When LEPE first started production, in late 2012, it was intially only printing a few runs of $1's each month. So the LEPE H..* notes, that were only being used in LEPE printings, trickled into circulation *very* slowly at first. Thus they developed a reputation for being scarce.
    • In the COPE system, nearly all serial numbers ending in 9999 or 0000 were replaced by star notes. Savvy collectors (and bank tellers) had gotten used to the fact that pairs of short-run star notes could generally be found by looking for packs of currency that ought to end in 9999/0000 rollovers. But LEPE doesn't do that, so even if you had access to a large supply of new currency, the H..* notes were a good bit harder to find than the typical short-run stars.

The combination of all of those factors meant that, initially, the supply of H..* notes in the market was extremely thin--and nobody had any way of knowing whether that was going to change. So the prices got bid up to surprisingly high levels, and from there the phenomenon fed on itself. Now that the whole run has made it out of the BEP, I doubt that the H..* is too much scarcer than any other run of 320,000 stars--but it probably holds more appeal to some collectors because of the publicity it got.

The run I really wonder about is the 2009 $1 K..*. That one had 640,000 notes printed, but it was produced shortly before printing of 32-subject $1's ended, and most of the run likely never left the BEP. I suspect that these are going to be a good bit scarcer than the H..*, even though as a "normal" COPE run they attracted a lot less attention.

Eaglefawn and Paul M. like this.
  12. Bucephalus

Bucephalus Active Member

Still better than mine found in circulation:

[​IMG]

13. Bucephalus

Bucephalus Active Member

Found 3 in a pack of 2013 I/B back in September.

14. SteveInTampa

[​IMG]

Eaglefawn and USS656 like this.
  15. Dollarsavr

Steve, is the BP number 119, 121, or 122 for your B-*?

16. Dollarsavr

"Steve, is the BP number 119, 121, or 122 for your B-*?" Sorry

Wrong! Should be 67 or 69?

17. SteveInTampa

The BP number is 67 sir.....sorry it took so long to get back to you.

Dollarsavr likes this.
  18. Searcher64

Searcher64 Member

I received a 2013 $1.00 Star today. K13270363* au. My question is the plate and position #'s are not the same type size on the face. D5 is larger than FWD7 the rev is a large "7". Will this be considered a "Mule" also?

19. Numbers

Numbers Senior Member

All 2013 $1's have the weird-looking plate position (letter smaller than before, number larger than before, so they're the same size as each other now). If I understand correctly, all 50-subject currency will be like this, but so far only the $1 has been printed in 50-subject format.

The rest is still the same as on earlier series (e.g., the large-font back plate number indicates a Fort Worth printing).

No, there are no mules involved; they're all like this.

20. Searcher64

Searcher64 Member

I understand that on all FW's have small "obv" and large "rev" letters size up to now. What I am talking about, is all of the "obv" numbers are not the same size now.

21. Dollarsavr

Thanks for the info...

Draft saved Draft deleted