3-year toning experiment on silver rounds

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Dougmeister, Nov 29, 2022.

1. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Thats just not true. AT would be gassing a coin, baking it in the oven, applying heat sources, coloring it with chemicals or otherwise. Simply leaving a coin on a desk, putting it in a napkin, putting it in an album etc isnt actually AT thats letting nature do what it does. Whether or not the end result is market acceptable (which is all that matters) is a different story.

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Many years ago, I received some Silver Eagles from a local club for speaking there are as door prizes. They were housed in holders that were made to hold them. Some of those coins toned in the holders in a way that some collectors like, which draw premium prices. The trouble is it’s only on one side. I have flipped them to see if the toning might work again.

As for comments about “AT” and “NT,” I would consider this manilla envelope method to be NT. It was formed over a period of years from contact with the chemicals (sulfur) in the paper. That’s the way a number of “toners” have been made.

Dougmeister and SensibleSal66 like this.
  4. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Please show your method. Never heard of this. I still don't believe that it seals them to prevent further toning.

5. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

You have a right to believe that ever you like. And I agree with you, that is why I said "with the intent".

6. Pickin and Grinin

I wasn't trying to be rude. Just want to see how you seal your coins.

7. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

I did not think you were trying to be.
    First I select the size flip I want to use.
    20221201_142208.jpg
    Then staple it .
    20221201_142243.jpg
    then label it.
    20221201_142317.jpg
    This is not a one way for all coins. Different coins can require more staples.

8. Pickin and Grinin

My bad I was thinking paper envelope then a flip or something of the sort. It's been a rough week. Didn't read your post that way.
    Did I say it's been a rough week. lol

alurid likes this.
  9. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Okay, for some reason, I've always called those "2x2's". To me, "flip" means a clear plastic holder with two pouches (confusingly, also 2" x 2"), and "envelope" means something that's paper with no plastic lining.

10. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Yeah I get it now, Paper Flip, Post#13.
    Paper flip, plastic flip and envelope. Two funny.

Draft saved Draft deleted