3 ugly, amazing, and lucky eBay buys. I paid $27 total.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by C-B-D, Jun 29, 2015.

1. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I bought all these from the same seller. Unfortunately, I missed his 1886 "V" nickel listed for $6... The first was a 1912-S listed for $10!

cats1.jpg

The second was listed for $6 as an 1885, but in the scans only the tops of the 8's were visible, so I figured I'd buy it even though I may well receive an 1883. But...
    cats2.jpg

The third was just a decent 1864 listed for $11. But after taking pics, I discovered it was the FS-1901, "Reverse clashed with Obverse of Indian Head Cent"! Lucky days are few and far between for me, but this was one to remember. cats3.jpg

Jwt708, -jeffB, swamp yankee and 7 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

I like the 2 cent piece. The "V" nickels are not my cup of tea.

swamp yankee and spirityoda like this.
  4. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

Sorry, but I'm not seeing the clash. Any help?

5. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

It's always a tough one to see, even in AU. But the easiest part to see is the straight line at the base of the T and S in CENTS, connecting them. That is the bottom of Liberty's chin from the indian cent.

rzage likes this.
  6. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I appreciate the explanation, but I'm still not seeing it with your photo.

7. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I'll try to do better.

8. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

I can't see it either , but it must be there . Hope you can catch it with some new pics .

9. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

Wow!! I'm stunned..

10. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

11. Brett_in_Sacto

Brett_in_Sacto Well-Known Member

I have been hunting a 1912-S nickel for the last 6 months!!!! BAH!!! How do you guys FIND these things!?!?!

I thought I got lucky when I bought one where the guy neglected to list the mint in the title, in the text he said "pretty sure it's a S mint" and of course he blatantly lied and used blurry pics. I got a refund but sheesh! That's a nice S!

12. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

He actually had that one listed as a regular 1912. But I spied an S.

BigTee44 likes this.
  13. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Why he would knowingly sell an 1885, the key for the series, for $6??? I have no earthly understanding of that. Even in this bad of condition, it has to be what... a $100 coin?

14. Brett_in_Sacto

I was looking ALL WEEKEND for that kind of thing! I claim you stole it from me! (kidding, but you did!)

Good find sir!

I guess I did get lucky this weekend at a live auction. They had a bunch of "sterling" rings and kept saying "925 sterling" and when they said "950 sterling silver" the "950" perked my interest and nobody else noticed, and assumed it was silver. I figured for the price the worst I would do was break even. I got home and tested - it was 950 platinum as I suspected. I jumped on it and scored a 6.2 gram platinum ring for $12.50 :) I guess I can't complain, it will cover a good 1912-S when I sell it.

tommyc03, paddyman98 and C-B-D like this.
  15. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

PCGS CoinFacts has photo's of two of them and it's even difficult to see there.

rzage likes this.
  16. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Yeah, you can actually i.d. them better from the die breaks than the actual clash.

17. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Go to maddieclash.com and you'll see clear pictures of one I discovered a couple years ago in BU... cleaned and artificially toned.

rzage likes this.
  18. miedbe7

miedbe7 Wayward Collector

I don't like you right now... ;) jk!! Great additions lucky you!!

C-B-D likes this.
  19. wmichael

wmichael Active Member

I want to see the ring, please.

rzage likes this.
  20. Brett_in_Sacto

Sorry, it has already been sold off. It was some modern swirl design, nothing particularly special and no manufacturer's mark.

21. iontyre

iontyre Active Member

I just had a similar and maybe even more lucrative experience; three lots from the same seller that were mysteriously overlooked by buyers.

Lot 1: Two Liberty Nickels - 1910 and 1912D. The 1910 is at least AU-50, and the 1912D is minimum VF-30. Paid $19.30, should be valued at $100+ retail.

Lot 2: Two 1932 Washington Quarters. One clearly scratched, but the other one with good surfaces and mint luster. Scratched one is just bullion now, but the other under closer scrutiny appears to be a DDO in MS6x. Paid $15, barely bullion rate. If the DDO is correct, retail goes over $200.

Lot 3: 14 Mercury Dimes. Seller thought the 1916S and 1918 were keys in the lot, but apparently didn't know the 1921 in there was really the star. Paid $16.99, total retail value well over $100.

I'll try and post some pictures later.

C-B-D, -jeffB and NSP like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted