3 pennies that have bizarre errors is there value?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Lyrics, May 26, 2016.

1. Lyrics

Lyrics Giving this one more chance with lots of hope

Hi. Newbie to this world was given some coins from my grandfather's collection. I was told there was nothing valuable and he collected for fun.... but... I found these two and think there must be something interesting or possibly valuable.

I will not even try to explain very much, take a look and let me know what you think.

One is a 1955 that letter BE in liberty are very close odd spacing maybe double die not sure.

One is a penny that looks like it was coated and is on top of another coin and there appears to be a crack on left thru lincoln... and just so many odd things.

The other looks like a printing press mangled job...

So thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

1) is a lamination, nominal value.
    2) 1985 D= Damage, spend it

3) Picture #5: Damage, spend it
    4) Pictures 6,7, 8 = 1985 D= Damage, spend it

5) #10: Small die crack, nominal value, but a fun find

4. Lyrics

I am adding more images if they help

Attached Files:

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

They don't use printing presses at the Mint. Try searching "BIE Lincoln" for the '55.

Chris

6. Lyrics

Thank you for your reply.

7. Lyrics

With the word trust on the 1985... wouldn't thay be an error? And the crack etc.

8. Lyrics

Yes. I wasn't sure about what coins are pressed (?) Or if is called a printing press.... plates?

9. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I'm seeing a 56-D. Nice looking mintmark.

Pickin and Grinin and Lyrics like this.
  10. Lyrics

Yes. 1956 d doubling and between b and e.

Value?

11. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

The mintmark looks to have been repunched. That and the BIE thing are cool but not much value. Maybe a dollar or two. I'm guessing on the value.

12. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

agreed, the 45s is a lamination error and the 56d is a die chip known as "BIE" with a possible repunched mintmark.....everything else is damage..

Paul M. likes this.
  13. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

The less-important aspect of this coin is the BIE - during that era, for some reason, Lincolns often developed die chips right there, where a chunk of die between the B and E broke off and subsequent strikes looked like "BIE." A kinda cool thing, but relatively common and not really a value-adder.

The more important thing, and I'm surprised nobody mentioned it yet, is the repunched mint mark. Your coin is FS-022.1, a CONECA Top 100 RPM, Lincoln Cent Resource Top 50, and possibly the most prominent repunched mint mark in the entire Lincoln Cent series.

It's not a huge value-adder because too few specialize in accumulating Lincoln RPM's and they're available in Mint State grades, but in terms of relative "importance" you likely won't come across a better Lincoln RPM in your collecting career. It's a biggie. If Lincoln RPM's were more in demand, this would be a moon-money coin.

http://www.lincolncentresource.com/RPMS/1956rpm1.html

http://varietyvista.com/Variety Master Listings/lincoln rpms 1956-1957.htm

Paul M. likes this.
  14. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

Larry beat ya by acouple hours on the mm

Lyrics likes this.
  15. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Yeah, but he did it in too subtle a fashion for me. I need a more blunt approach. :)

Kentucky likes this.
  16. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Welcome to CoinTalk. Browse and have fun here. Your pictures are great. Very nice re-punched mintmark. Coins are struck in machines that place dies over blank planchets. Many errors occur and some are worth money and some aren't.

rockypa and Lyrics like this.
  17. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Does not appear to be an error there. Even if it were, the value of the error would be obliterated by the huge amount of damage to the coin.

18. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Frank , what's going on with the mint mark on the '56-D , looks like a repunched MM ?

Last edited: May 26, 2016
    Lyrics likes this.
  19. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Perhaps, but Larry neglected to go the "extra mile" and identify it for the OP!

Lyrics likes this.
  20. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

SD beat me to it again . lol

Lyrics likes this.
  21. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

definitely,

I missed it, too busy looking at road trash

Lyrics and Paul M. like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted