3 PEACE DOLLARS - Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by RIchard Abanes, Feb 2, 2021.

1. hello!
    My wife and I are VERY new to this hobby (as in a few weeks, lol) and we're very much enjoying it. I've been doing lots of reading & I'm now starting to try my hand at grading the coins I have from my father-in-law who passed away. These are some of the first few, after I dealt with a couple of Indian head pennies and early 1915-1920-ish Lincolns. I was hoping to get your thoughts. These are three. I have a ourth one that's a bit different, so I'll post that in another thread. I'm guessing the grades as follows:

1922 - EF40?
    1924 - EF40?
    1927 - EF45?

Thanks everyone. Hope this is OK. (still experimenting on best way to get pictures that capture detail as well as do justice to the true coloring). Gonna have a lot of questions, especially about grading, which seems to be more of an art than a factual science. Ugh. But fun. 1927-D.jpg 1922.jpg 1924.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. DarkRage666

DarkRage666 Ͳìɾҽժղҽʂʂ Ͳąҟҽղ ටѵҽɾ

IMHO the 1924 is the highest grade, the 1927, then 1922.

Robert Ransom likes this.
  4. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

I concur.

5. Soooo,, perhaps as follows?

1924 - EF-45
    1927 - EF-40
    1922 - VF-30

Do these grading levels look accurate? THANKS

Spark1951 likes this.
  6. DarkRage666

DarkRage666 Ͳìɾҽժղҽʂʂ Ͳąҟҽղ ටѵҽɾ

Sounds about right! Keep posting!

7. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

The photos have a cloudy look to them which makes hard to grade the coins with respect to possible environmental damage. The first two have EF sharpness, but the 1922 dated piece seems to be "busy" on the reverse. I don't know if it's scratches or spots of toning or corrosion.

I tried to work with the 1927 a little with my software. I am guessing that these photos were taken on a scanner?

1927 Dollar CTalk.jpg

If this is really how the coin looks, it might be called "environmental damage." It's been my experience that this look will not dip well, but I don't mess with coins that much. I've been a collector for over 60 years.

slackaction1 and Jim Dale like this.
  8. It's the camera. I used an iphone and messed up the back side of the 1922. I think I can get a better pics of both the 1922 AND 1927. My 1924 pic came out the best.... Need to try to rememeber how I did that picture (at 3AM, lol).

I'm thinking of putting the 1924 @EF-45 and the 1927 @EF-40. Let me try to get better pictures

Jim Dale likes this.
  9. Hey!!! Ok, so I re-took the pictures, These are better. I am also ADDING my fourth Peace Dollar, which looks to me possible an MS-60? I'm guessing because it is sealed when I received it from a friend, who bought it sealed about 20 years ago. And it's so much shinier than the others I have, wich I know were used/circulated. And the 1923-D one is almost kind of white-ish. But ODDLY, on the really clean shiny one, some of the text (Liberty, United States, etc).... is really light, almost like it's worn away. Hmmm, How can that be? THANKS!!! 1922.jpg 1923-D.jpg 1924.jpg 1927-D.jpg 1923-D_Compared.jpg

10. philjam

philjam Member

either 60 or 58 hard to tell...

11. Thanks, prolly MS-58 because it's missing some details that I, even as a serous beginner, think should probably be there in the hair & in the wings of the eagle.

12. Given all kinds of answers I've gotten, I'm thinking of these gradings now...

1922 VF-30 ED

1923-D EF-45 (Polished)

1924 EF-40

1927-D EF-45 ED

13. John Skelton

John Skelton Morgan man!

First, I want to welcome you to Cointalk and the joys of collecting! It will be interesting to see the variety of coins you inherited. Was your father-in-law a collector?

You did good in doing a lot of reading. Keep it up, there's a lot to learn. Can you list some of the books you've read? And don't hesitate to read some of the other posts on the forums. You will get quite an education.

14. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Welcome to CT. Hard to tell, the pic's are a bit shallow, in my opinion. Good luck

15. My father in law was not a collector. But he seemed to understand that all these coins would one day be of some value. So he collected throughout the yearrs and just put them in shoe boxes, jars, wrappers, jewelry boxes. LoL. NOt stored very well, but here they still are. I think I must have about 200 mercury dimes. And a bag full of foreign coins going back into the 1800s, but many in the 1900s. So, I have a LOT to do.... books, so far, I have started to read and am continuing to do so are:

• The Red Book
    •Assorted Red Book series books by Bowers. I got about 15 out of the series (I couldn't afford all, so I just bought the ones that related to the kind of coins I found I had in my possesssion)
    •World's Greatest Mint Errors (Byers)
    •Grading Coins by Photographs
    • I have another book not coming out in its new edition until May, so it's on purchase from Amazon... "Strike It Rich with Pocket Change" (Potter)

All of these took as much funds had I had to spare.... (LoL. It'll probably take me another 10 years to make back through selling what I have already spent on books). Oh, and I bought supplies.... a microscope, a magnifying glass, and flips to store them in after I grade/identify.

All very exciting. :)

16. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

@RIchard Abanes ...Welcome to Coin Talk. You seem to be off on a great start. 2 things:

Your better Morgans and Peace need to be in capsules, not flips...you can find those on Amazon. Airtite is a good brand but there are less expensive products that work just as well. If you ever have to open the capsule again they open easily with the edge of a pocket knife blade or razor blade.

Keep the info on the Potter tome in perspective. Most of the coins he includes could be found in pocket change, it’s just not very likely...
    you could hit the lottery too...same odds (imo).

Good luck on your collection...Spark

RIchard Abanes likes this.
  17. Mike Thornton

Mike Thornton Learning something new everyday.

The '23 looks polished IMO.

18. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

The 1923 is definitely cleaned.

19. Yup. I see that now with the 1923. I like them better in a natural state.

20. mike estes

mike estes Well-Known Member

welcome to CT RIchard Abanes. hey good pictures, taking pictures of coins is not as easy as one would think. it took me awhile and im still learning. great looking coins, good luck

21. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

Are those Peace dollars dirty or is the some other reason they look like they are dirty?

Draft saved Draft deleted