3 pcs Mystery AR - any ideas? (Two probably Greek. The other might be extraterrestrial.)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by lordmarcovan, Sep 19, 2017.

1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Sorry I don't presently have diameters and weights for you, but I can try to get those stats later, as needed. (I don't have these in hand as I type this.)

#1. Greek, I presume. Small.
    MysteryAR-170919-01.png

#2. Also Greek. Tiny.
    MysteryAR-170919-02.png

#3. I have no idea. Obviously quite old. Silver. Might be ancient, might be medieval. Might be a half-borglon piece from Planet Znutar, for all I know. Is also pretty tiny, as I recall. Thin, so that has me thinking medieval, if it's from somewhere on Earth.
    MysteryAR-170919-03.png

Like my descriptive terms? "Small"? "Tiny"?

Hey, you're welcome. Glad I could be of assistance. :p

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

Hmm. Now that I think of it, the portrait on that second one looks like Tanit on some Carthaginian coins. Or am I crazy?

4. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

I'll be of little or no help. @TIF , @zumbly ....(and Steve :() are usually best at this....but I can see what you do---+/_ circa 4th century BC for the first two Greeks and no idea on the third. I 'see' Dionysos on the first and perhaps Tanit on the second----wish I could make out the reverses.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  5. Yankee42

Yankee42 Well-Known Member

I think the third one is actually a quarter-borglon.

Kentucky and lordmarcovan like this.
  6. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

No clue. I have an interest in medieval (interest = high, knowledge = not so high) so I hope somebody can give input on #3. I think the texture reminds me of some of the 12th-13th Century Hand Hellers from Hall or the Freisacher pfennigs. The style is a little like some of the Freisachers but I can't recall seeing anything close to what you have.

A "pull it out of my Asshtray", wild guess is.... 13th-14the century Austria/Bohemia region???

Somebody tell me I'm right so I can walk around with an inflated ego of my knowledge of a totally esoteric and useless subject that very few people (including most on CT) care about :yawn::smug:

lordmarcovan likes this.
  7. ab initio

ab initio Well-Known Member

The first one is Corcyra (see SNG Cop. 196 to 201). The reverse shows the Pegasos badly centered and pointing at 11 o'clock, you can see his tail and his buttocks.

8. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

- Tanit: Reverse stumps me if it were Carthaginian. It is POSSIBLE that the reverse is a dilapidated horse head. And, they pounded Horse Heads on AE or AV, yours looks AR. I am not near my SNG Cop North Africa plate book to do a quick glance, sorry.
    If it IS AE, then it may be Zeugitania/Carthage.

- Perhaps search under Persephone/Kore for the obverse...

lordmarcovan likes this.
  9. lordmarcovan

Thanks, all.

@Oldhoopster - I thought about those little hand hellers, too, and get the feeling this one is not too far removed from that in time and place. Then again, it could just be a Znutarian quarter-borglon after all, as @Yankee42 suggests. (He's right - the half-borglons would depict a mrpxl beast.)

Deacon Ray and Alegandron like this.
  10. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Here is a Freisacher from 1200-1235 that has some stylistic similarities (pic from Central Utah Coins on V Coins).

[​IMG]

Yankee42, Bing and Alegandron like this.
  11. lordmarcovan

Seems plausibly similar looking to me!

12. lordmarcovan

This just in, from "SaorAlba" on Collectors Universe:

"Re: Mystery piece on cointalk.

The third coin appears to be a "denaras" of Vladimiras Algirdas of Lithuania minted in Kyiv mint(now Ukraine) in the 14th century.

Here is a link with some images of several of these coins:

https://www.cngcoins.com/Search.aspx?IS_ADVANCED=1&ITEM_IS_SOLD=1&ITEM_INVENTORY_NUMBER=&CONTAINER_NAME=&ITEM_LOT_NUMBER=&ITEM_DESC=Vladimiras Algirdas&SEARCH_IN_CONTAINER_TYPE_ID_2=1&VIEW_TYPE=0

The coin looks very similar to those with the blundered Cyrillic legends on the one side."

13. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

It could be a coin from the future ;) sent to us by the wayback machine.

14. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Very cool coin!!

15. lordmarcovan

16. Youngcoin

Youngcoin Everything Collector

I don't know but their Purdyyyyyyyy!

17. lordmarcovan

Considering the information that has come to light, particularly the actual bids on the auction shown in that last link, maybe I shouldn't have sold that third one for five bucks before I knew what it was, eh? ;)

It is the tiniest bit of crude nothingness. I don't mind the buyer getting that (accidental) cherrypick, since it is someone who's posted here. I have a hard time seeing that as a $100+ item.

I still have the first two. And have practically nothing invested in any of these.

Oldhoopster and Mikey Zee like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted