3 newps 1798 & 1802 Large cents + foreign

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Lugia, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Lugia

Lugia ye olde UScoin enthusiast

when i was hanging out with my friend when we were in the area of one of the better coin dealers i goto. he asked me if i wanted to stop. its been a while since i picked something up even tho im short on money so we did. got the 3 for a total of 88 bucks. theyre kinda rough but im drawn to large cents. also liked the 3 mark.

any comments and opinions appreciated. some help attributing these 2 large cents would also be great.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

The 1802 is the S-242 R2.

The 1798 is type 1 hair with Large 8 so it might take a while.

4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Really like the foreign coin.

5. Taxidermist

Taxidermist Collector of US/IL/RU/DE

The foreign is a KM# 532 Prussian 2 mark, commemorative for 100 years of the defeat of Napoleon, 1500000 minted.
    Catalog price is $22 XF and $40 UNC, although actual prices are slightly higher, both XF and UNC usually go for above catalog value (as far as i`ve noticed).

The one on the photo will definitely go for above $50 on eBay.

6. Lugia

Lugia ye olde UScoin enthusiast

i know im not all that good at sheldons but anyway after looking over the 1798 a bit i was thinking S-153 R3? the cud isnt quite at the base of the bust but you can see it getting there.

7. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Nice additions!

8. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

I haven't been able to reach a conclusion on the 1798 yet. The obverse could match the S-153, but the reverse fraction bar appears too short. I then zeroed in on the S-161, but the ER is very closely spaced on your coin and not that much on the Reverse P. But the crack above STATES OF is either easy to imagine or just there. Copper in this condition hides detail and creates anomalies. If push came to shove, I'd probably still go with the S-161.

9. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

The picture is dark and hard to se but I would agree on the obv of S-160, 161. I can't tell which reverse it has though. In hand I probably could but I can't from the images.

10. lupinus911

lupinus911 Member

I thought the foreign coin was Mexican because of the eagle.

Then I saw the not-so-spanish looking language. :p

Draft saved Draft deleted