3 new toners coming back from PCGS!

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by C-B-D, Aug 26, 2016.

1. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

I would have agreed with you in the 1980's - solid XF; however, coins with this amount of rub on the areas that are often weak to begin with are COMMONLY graded today as AU-55 to 58 (toning is also a plus) and sold for MS-62's! :facepalm:

The "halo effect" on the reverse indicates old cleaning as you have said and it was net graded FOR SURE - possibly the cleaning or possibly the minor damage, or even possibly something on the edge we cannot see. :jawdrop:

...and that is the main problem with "net" grading. If you cannot see the coin, you don't know what you are going to get! When you can see the coin, you need to figure out what the "problem" is!:confused::wacky: :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

While I agree that some coins are overgraded, this coin has *WAY* too much wear to get a 55, not to mention 58. If this coin were graded that high, I would call that blatantly overgraded. I can see the argument being made for 50, but that's it.

And it is a rare 58 that actually sells for 62 money (sellers may ask for it, but they don't get it as often as you imply). There has to be something *really* special about the coin to warrant that. This coin is attractive, and will sell for good money, but not moon money. 45 value is around $450, and I could see this coin selling for $500-$600.

A 58 is valued at $1500, and a 62 is $2700.

4. physics-fan3.14

@C-B-D Out of curiousity, what was your reasoning for submitting the Peace? What grade were you hoping for? I'm guessing 58 was not what you wanted.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  5. Insider

Thanks for the valuations. However, the price this coin brings is going to depend on the "savvy" of both the seller and the buyer. It's actual grade then becomes unimportant. o_O

6. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Don't you get tired talking out of your butt all the time insider? I know we sure do

7. Insider

:rolleyes: I though this type of post and language is frowned on by the moderators. :stop: Perhaps you should comment my opinions and not me. :kiss:

I really wish you would add something of value here besides your three previous posts on this thread :yack::yack::yack: that can be condensed down to "nice coins." :D

8. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

And I wish youd stop with all your annoying antics

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  9. Insider

:coldfeet:? I suggest you try the "ignore" button. Life is too short to be bothered by "a tiresome monkey on speed." bro. ;)

10. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I needed a trueview of it, because I found it impossible to photograph, and nicely toned peace dollars are nearly impossible to find. I didn't care what grade it was.

Dave Waterstraat likes this.
  11. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Been thinking about it. I really thought I'd never do that though and couldn't understand why such a function even existed. But now I get it.

Insider likes this.
  12. physics-fan3.14

I am not taking sides in this. But this is what I pictured when I read it ;)

[​IMG]

13. physics-fan3.14

Gotcha. In the future, just so you know, there are lots of highly experienced and extremely professional photographers here on the boards that will take excellent pictures for much less than the submission/photo charges at PCGS. I understand if you really wanted the truview for your own reasons, but other options may be cheaper.

C-B-D likes this.
  14. Insider

It will not help. Check out your profile. I've been following you for a long time.:p

:shame: Looks like you "hacked" the camera in my office!:facepalm: Oh no, I cannot stop watching it.

15. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

I almost just peed myself jason! :hilarious:

TJ1952 and C-B-D like this.
  16. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I'm usually good enough on my own, but this one bamboozled my photographic skills due to the iridescent nature of the toning.

17. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

C-B-D likes this.
  18. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

I'm not even going to dwell on the first two; they're out of my league. :)

I believe the Peace Dollar to have been generously graded. Looks like an excellent strike (despite the aged dies; I see die sinking especially on the northeast quadrant of the obverse) - the periphery is strong all around both faces - and the stronger the strike the more credence one must give to what looks like wear. At least three and possibly five points high. Doesn't mean it won't attract a toning premium, though, nor does it mean I won't be waiting to see it appear in the market. :p

It's a terrific photography subject.

19. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

How true... :android::angelic::arghh::artist::astronaut::bag::banhappy::banghead::bear::beaver::bigtears::blackalien::blackeye::bored::bookworm::bored::borg::brb::bucktooth::cat::chicken::cigar::clown::cold::coldfeet::couchpotato::cow::cyclops::dead::depressed::doctor::droid::drowning::eggface::facepalm::greedy::greyalien::grumpy::happy::headphone::hilarious::hungover::hurting::hungry::inpain::jawdrop::jimlad::joyful::kiss::link::lock::lurking::mask::meh::muted::nailbiting::nurse::oldman::panda::peeking::penguin::phantom::pics::pigeon::playful::pompous::punch::rage::shame::shifty::shy::singing::):smug::smuggrin::snaphappy::sorry::sour::spam::spitoutdummy::stinkyfeet::stop::troll::turtle::vamp::vomit::vulcan::wacky::watching::wideyed::woot::writer::yack::yawn::yuck::zombie:;):(:mad::confused::cool::p:D:eek::oops::rolleyes:o_O:android::angelic::arghh::artist::astronaut::bag::banhappy::banghead::bear::beaver::bigtears::blackalien::blackeye::bored::bookworm::bored::borg::brb::bucktooth::cat::chicken::cigar::clown::cold::coldfeet::couchpotato::cow::cyclops::dead::depressed::doctor::droid::drowning::eggface::facepalm::greedy::greyalien::grumpy::happy::headphone::hilarious::hungover::hurting::hungry::inpain::jawdrop::jimlad::joyful::kiss::link::lock::lurking::mask::meh::muted::nailbiting::nurse::oldman::panda::peeking::penguin::phantom::pics::pigeon::playful::pompous::punch::rage::shame::shifty::shy::singing::):smug::smuggrin::snaphappy::sorry::sour::spam::spitoutdummy::stinkyfeet::stop::troll::turtle::vamp::vomit::vulcan::wacky::watching::wideyed::woot::writer::yack::yawn::yuck::zombie:;):(:mad::confused::cool::p:D:eek::oops::rolleyes:o_O:android::angelic::arghh::artist::astronaut::bag::banhappy::banghead::bear::beaver::bigtears::blackalien::blackeye::bored::bookworm::bored::borg::brb::bucktooth::cat::chicken::cigar::clown::cold::coldfeet::couchpotato::cow::cyclops::dead::depressed::doctor::droid::drowning::eggface::facepalm::greedy::greyalien::grumpy::happy::headphone::hilarious::hungover::hurting::hungry::inpain::jawdrop::jimlad::joyful::kiss::link::lock::lurking::mask::meh::muted::nailbiting::nurse::oldman::panda::peeking::penguin::phantom::pics::pigeon::playful::pompous::punch::rage::shame::shifty::shy::singing::):smug::smuggrin::snaphappy::sorry::sour::spam::spitoutdummy::stinkyfeet::stop::troll::turtle::vamp::vomit::vulcan::wacky::watching::wideyed::woot::writer::yack::yawn::yuck::zombie:;):(:mad::confused::cool::p:D:eek::oops::rolleyes:o_O:android::angelic::arghh::artist::astronaut::bag::banhappy::banghead::bear::beaver::bigtears::blackalien::blackeye::bored::bookworm::bored::borg::brb::bucktooth::cat::chicken::cigar::clown::cold::coldfeet::couchpotato::cow::cyclops::dead::depressed::doctor::droid::drowning::eggface::facepalm::greedy::greyalien::grumpy::happy::headphone::hilarious::hungover::hurting::hungry::inpain::jawdrop::jimlad::joyful::kiss::link::lock::lurking::mask::meh::muted::nailbiting::nurse::oldman::panda::peeking::penguin::phantom::pics::pigeon::playful::pompous::punch::rage::shame::shifty::shy::singing::):smug::smuggrin::snaphappy::sorry::sour::spam::spitoutdummy::stinkyfeet::stop::troll::turtle::vamp::vomit::vulcan::wacky::watching::wideyed::woot::writer::yack::yawn::yuck::zombie:;):(:mad::confused::cool::p:D:eek::oops::rolleyes:o_O:android::angelic::arghh::artist::astronaut::bag::banhappy::banghead::bear::beaver::bigtears::blackalien::blackeye::bored::bookworm::bored::borg::brb::bucktooth::cat::chicken::cigar::clown::cold::coldfeet::couchpotato::cow::cyclops::dead::depressed::doctor::droid::drowning::eggface::facepalm::greedy::greyalien::grumpy::happy::headphone::hilarious::hungover::hurting::hungry::inpain::jawdrop::jimlad::joyful::kiss::link::lock::lurking::mask::meh::muted::nailbiting::nurse::oldman::panda::peeking::penguin::phantom::pics::pigeon::playful::pompous::punch::rage::shame::shifty::shy::singing::):smug::smuggrin::snaphappy::sorry::sour::spam::spitoutdummy::stinkyfeet::stop::troll::turtle::vamp::vomit::vulcan::wacky::watching::wideyed::woot::writer::yack::yawn::yuck::zombie:;):(:mad::confused::cool::p:D:eek::oops::rolleyes:o_O:android::angelic::arghh::artist::astronaut::bag::banhappy::banghead::bear::beaver::bigtears::blackalien::blackeye::bored::bookworm::bored::borg::brb::bucktooth::cat::chicken::cigar::clown::cold::coldfeet::couchpotato::cow::cyclops::dead::depressed::doctor::droid::drowning::eggface::facepalm::greedy::greyalien::grumpy::happy::headphone::hilarious::hungover::hurting::hungry::inpain::jawdrop::jimlad::joyful::kiss::link::lock::lurking::mask::meh::muted::nailbiting::nurse::oldman::panda::peeking::penguin::phantom::pics::pigeon::playful::pompous::punch::rage::shame::shifty::shy::singing::):smug::smuggrin::snaphappy::sorry::sour::spam::spitoutdummy::stinkyfeet::stop::troll::turtle::vamp::vomit::vulcan::wacky::watching::wideyed::woot::writer::yack::yawn::yuck::zombie:;):(:mad::confused::cool::p:D:eek::oops::rolleyes:o_O:android::angelic::arghh::artist::astronaut::bag::banhappy::banghead::bear::beaver::bigtears::blackalien::blackeye::bored::bookworm::bored::borg::brb::bucktooth::cat::chicken::cigar::clown::cold::coldfeet::couchpotato::cow::cyclops::dead::depressed::doctor::droid::drowning::eggface::facepalm::greedy::greyalien::grumpy::happy::headphone::hilarious::hungover::hurting::hungry::inpain::jawdrop::jimlad::joyful::kiss::link::lock::lurking::mask::meh::muted::nailbiting::nurse::oldman::panda::peeking::penguin::phantom::pics::pigeon::playful::pompous::punch::rage::shame::shifty::shy::singing::):smug::smuggrin::snaphappy::sorry::sour::spam::spitoutdummy::stinkyfeet::stop::troll::turtle::vamp::vomit::vulcan::wacky::watching::wideyed::woot::writer::yack::yawn::yuck::zombie:;):(:mad::confused::cool::p:D:eek::oops::rolleyes:

Insider likes this.
  20. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

Those are some beautiful coins!! Nice pick..

C-B-D likes this.
  21. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

Yes, I know who these remind me of.

:android::angelic::arghh::artist::astronaut::bag::banhappy::banghead::bear::beaver::bigtears::blackalien::blackeye::bored::bookworm::bored::borg::brb::bucktooth::cat::chicken::cigar::clown::cold::coldfeet::couchpotato::cow::cyclops::dead::depressed::doctor::droid::drowning::eggface::facepalm::greedy::greyalien::grumpy::happy::headphone::hilarious::hungover::hurting::hungry::inpain::jawdrop::jimlad::joyful::kiss::link::lock::lurking::mask::meh::muted::nailbiting::nurse::oldman::panda::peeking::penguin::phantom::pics::pigeon::playful::pompous::punch::rage::shame::shifty::shy::singing::):smug::smuggrin::snaphappy::sorry::sour::spam::spitoutdummy::stinkyfeet::stop::troll::turtle::vamp::vomit::vulcan::wacky::watching::wideyed::woot::writer::yack::yawn::yuck::zombie:;):(:mad::confused::cool::p:D:eek::oops::rolleyes:o_O:android::angelic::arghh::artist::astronaut::bag::banhappy::banghead::bear::beaver::bigtears::blackalien::blackeye::bored::bookworm::bored::borg::brb::bucktooth::cat::chicken::cigar::clown::cold::coldfeet::couchpotato::cow::cyclops::dead::depressed::doctor::droid::drowning::eggface::facepalm::greedy::greyalien::grumpy::happy::headphone::hilarious::hungover::hurting::hungry::inpain::jawdrop::jimlad::joyful::kiss::link::lock::lurking::mask::meh::muted::nailbiting::nurse::oldman::panda::peeking::penguin::phantom::pics::pigeon::playful::pompous::punch::rage::shame::shifty::shy::singing::):smug::smuggrin::snaphappy::sorry::sour::spam::spitoutdummy::stinkyfeet::stop::troll::turtle::vamp::vomit::vulcan::wacky::watching::wideyed::woot::writer::yack::yawn::yuck::zombie:;):(:mad::confused::cool::p:D:eek::oops::rolleyes:o_O:android::angelic::arghh::artist::astronaut::bag::banhappy::banghead::bear::beaver::bigtears::blackalien::blackeye::bored::bookworm::bored::borg::brb::bucktooth::cat::chicken::cigar::clown::cold::coldfeet::couchpotato::cow::cyclops::dead::depressed::doctor::droid::drowning::eggface::facepalm::greedy::greyalien::grumpy::happy::headphone::hilarious::hungover::hurting::hungry::inpain::jawdrop::jimlad::joyful::kiss::link::lock::lurking::mask::meh::muted::nailbiting::nurse::oldman::panda::peeking::penguin::phantom::pics::pigeon::playful::pompous::punch::rage::shame::shifty::shy::singing::):smug::smuggrin::snaphappy::sorry::sour::spam::spitoutdummy::stinkyfeet::stop::troll::turtle::vamp::vomit::vulcan::wacky::watching::wideyed::woot::writer::yack::yawn::yuck::zombie:;):(:mad::confused::cool::p:D:eek::oops::rolleyes:o_O:android::angelic::arghh::artist::astronaut::bag::banhappy::banghead::bear::beaver::bigtears::blackalien::blackeye::bored::bookworm::bored::borg::brb::bucktooth::cat::chicken::cigar::clown::cold::coldfeet::couchpotato::cow::cyclops::dead::depressed::doctor::droid::drowning::eggface::facepalm::greedy::greyalien::grumpy::happy::headphone::hilarious::hungover::hurting::hungry::inpain::jawdrop::jimlad::joyful::kiss::link::lock::lurking::mask::meh::muted::nailbiting::nurse::oldman::panda::peeking::penguin::phantom::pics::pigeon::playful::pompous::punch::rage::shame::shifty::shy::singing::):smug::smuggrin::snaphappy::sorry::sour::spam::spitoutdummy::stinkyfeet::stop::troll::turtle::vamp::vomit::vulcan::wacky::watching::wideyed::woot::writer::yack::yawn::yuck::zombie:;):(:mad::confused::cool::p:D:eek::oops::rolleyes:o_O:android::angelic::arghh::artist::astronaut::bag::banhappy::banghead::bear::beaver::bigtears::blackalien::blackeye::bored::bookworm::bored::borg::brb::bucktooth::cat::chicken::cigar::clown::cold::coldfeet::couchpotato::cow::cyclops::dead::depressed::doctor::droid::drowning::eggface::facepalm::greedy::greyalien::grumpy::happy::headphone::hilarious::hungover::hurting::hungry::inpain::jawdrop::jimlad::joyful::kiss::link::lock::lurking::mask::meh::muted::nailbiting::nurse::oldman::panda::peeking::penguin::phantom::pics::pigeon::playful::pompous::punch::rage::shame::shifty::shy::singing::):smug::smuggrin::snaphappy::sorry::sour::spam::spitoutdummy::stinkyfeet::stop::troll::turtle::vamp::vomit::vulcan::wacky::watching::wideyed::woot::writer::yack::yawn::yuck::zombie:;):(:mad::confused::cool::p:D:eek::oops::rolleyes:o_O:android::angelic::arghh::artist::astronaut::bag::banhappy::banghead::bear::beaver::bigtears::blackalien::blackeye::bored::bookworm::bored::borg::brb::bucktooth::cat::chicken::cigar::clown::cold::coldfeet::couchpotato::cow::cyclops::dead::depressed::doctor::droid::drowning::eggface::facepalm::greedy::greyalien::grumpy::happy::headphone::hilarious::hungover::hurting::hungry::inpain::jawdrop::jimlad::joyful::kiss::link::lock::lurking::mask::meh::muted::nailbiting::nurse::oldman::panda::peeking::penguin::phantom::pics::pigeon::playful::pompous::punch::rage::shame::shifty::shy::singing::):smug::smuggrin::snaphappy::sorry::sour::spam::spitoutdummy::stinkyfeet::stop::troll::turtle::vamp::vomit::vulcan::wacky::watching::wideyed::woot::writer::yack::yawn::yuck::zombie:;):(:mad::confused::cool::p:D:eek::oops::rolleyes:o_O:android::angelic::arghh::artist::astronaut::bag::banhappy::banghead::bear::beaver::bigtears::blackalien::blackeye::bored::bookworm::bored::borg::brb::bucktooth::cat::chicken::cigar::clown::cold::coldfeet::couchpotato::cow::cyclops::dead::depressed::doctor::droid::drowning::eggface::facepalm::greedy::greyalien::grumpy::happy::headphone::hilarious::hungover::hurting::hungry::inpain::jawdrop::jimlad::joyful::kiss::link::lock::lurking::mask::meh::muted::nailbiting::nurse::oldman::panda::peeking::penguin::phantom::pics::pigeon::playful::pompous::punch::rage::shame::shifty::shy::singing::):smug::smuggrin::snaphappy::sorry::sour::spam::spitoutdummy::stinkyfeet::stop::troll::turtle::vamp::vomit::vulcan::wacky::watching::wideyed::woot::writer::yack::yawn::yuck::zombie:;):(:mad::confused::cool::p:D:eek::oops::rolleyes:

Insider likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted