3 Lines inside rim?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Chuckylof23, Dec 28, 2016.

1. Chuckylof23

Chuckylof23 Member

Can you guys tell me if this is normal? On the obverse to the left of liberty 3 Lines seem to form to eventually go into one. I haven't see this b4, then again may be others haven't been as noticeable.

Attached Files:

Paul M. likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

The coin is a tiny bit off-center and/or struck with very slightly misaligned dies.

While it's neat looking, I think you'll find it's not off-center enough to be worth any great premium as an "error" coin. (OK, maybe a few extra cents, I guess.)

It's fun to notice stuff like this, though.

That's a relatively common anomaly.

4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Yes to Mialigned Die Strike on the Obverse. A very common occurrence on Cents struck in the 70's

Paul M. and Chuckylof23 like this.
  5. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

Paddyman. Why is it everyone on CT likes using the word common. In many cases on CT. When discussing an error, a lot of members like referring to them as common. If all these errors were so common. I would expect to find one in every roll that I opened. That to me would be a common occurrence. But unfortunately a lot of these errors. Though they may be many I would not call them common. Why cannot we be honest and just say a collar strikes occur quite often. I have found plenty of Collar strikes but very few three ringed. It is widely known out of collar strikes can percent a variety of different rim strikes. I don't know it's just me I just feel it's wrong to say something's common when it actually is not. I myself can show plenty of out of collar strikes coins. To me that would be a common occurrence at the mint. It happens frequently. But as far as the three rings cent if I could remember correctly I do not think I have found one 3 ringed coin. Many other varieties though. So in conclusion out of collar strikes happen quite frequently at the mint on many denominations of coins. I'm sure there's members out there like me that collect rim damage coins. So if you have a three ring coin I would like to see it because I cannot show you one. Can anyone else besides the op. USMC60

6. paddyman98

It's a phrase I commonly use :rolleyes:
    When I get a chance I will post my Misaligned Die strikes from the 70's.

usmc60 likes this.
  7. Chuckylof23

Chuckylof23 Member

USMC60 I have one thing to say to you my brother... SEMPER FI
    Ps. Paddyman98 What grade would you give my tags? See any errors lol?

Attached Files:

usmc60 and paddyman98 like this.
  8. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

The problem is we seem to have different definitions of what is "common". USMC60 seems to think it should mean 1 out of every 50, while I feel it means one out of every 1000 to to 10000 coins.

paddyman98 likes this.
  9. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

I know exactly what you mean. That's the point I'm trying to make it so, nobody thinks about it but they use it all the time, and it really doesn't apply. I like to think of it this way. When something happens to a coin at the mint. We really don't know how many coins were actually struck before the error was corrected. It can be from one to thousands. Now if I'm not mistaken which I am most of the time. If there are only so many struck say out of a whole been. Unless we know exactly how many, we cannot say they are common at least in the variety of the ops coin. The only thing we can say definitely is that out of collar strikes happen quite frequently at the mint due to the coinage that is found In circulation.And yes I am quite aware that the value of these coins most of the times does not exceed face value. And yes we will say that this is a mechanical error. Which brings very little premium to the coin. But again there are mechanical errors that do bring a higher price occasionally. Basically I'm bored and just wanted some to talk about.:hilarious::blackalien:

Flyboy likes this.
  10. paddyman98

Just so you will know. What I understand about a Misaligned Die Strike is that it could happen on any coin in any year. My meaning of common is that I have noticed that it occured a lot more in the early 70's than at other times. This is my opinion.

11. paddyman98

Ouch! Looks good to me..
    Here is mine. It says.. Mia Es La Venganza which is spanish for Vengeance Is Mine
    IMG_20161229_114759_5072.jpg

Chuckylof23 and usmc60 like this.
  12. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

Very close. Even with the numbers you presented. Think about it. In today's production, that is a very small percentage. Which I personally cannot say common. Only thing I can definitely say about the ops coin and then again I cannot say definitely because I actually do not know how many coins were struck like the ops coin. And I'm sure none of us can say that either. I can only assume that there are others out there.:blackalien:

13. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

Agreed. In the 70s though they struck coins more than once not as a do today. I could be wrong.:rolleyes::blackalien:

14. Chuckylof23

Chuckylof23 Member

So is the 3 rim here on my coin rare? Wie5h it to save it?

15. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

I wouldn't say rare. There's no telling how many are out there. The choice is yours whether you keep it or not. And probably will not bring you more than one cent. But then again like I tell anyone else it's only worth what somebody is willing to pay you for it. If it was me I would keep it because I do not have one in my collection. I personally like rim anomalies. USMC60

Chuckylof23 and paddyman98 like this.
  16. Chuckylof23

Chuckylof23 Member

So how would I describe the coin without showing pics to someone. Also what grade would you give it? And unless this type of coin is 1 of 1 or very rare, USMC60 since u genuinely like the s types of coins, I can send it your way for free knowing someone will truly enjoy it

17. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

Your offer is graciously appreciated. But I will decline. But I believe when it comes to oddities. It means more to the individual when they come across it. As most of the coins I find have greater meaning to me because I found them in circulation. A majority of collectors disregard these kinds of coins. And that is their choice. But if I ever come across one and you're still a member of CT, I will personally post it to let you know.We can only hope that if there's any other members out there that do collect oddities/rim damage coins. They were post their find. And we can only hope that it would be a brother or sister of your coin.You know when it comes to error coins. There is so much out there. And as my years keep declining. And I find it difficult to remember what I ate for dinner last night sometimes. I found it's a lot easier if I just concentrate on what I like best. Right now they are quarters. But I do not disregard any other denomination. There is not a piece of pocket change That goes through my home that is not examine under my stereo microscope. And usually when I find a coin that does not look normal, that is put into a holder and examine a little more thoroughly later.And though I may disagree with a lot of the old school responses I receive on CT. If I'm unsure of something I do not hesitate to post it. One thing I have found since being a member of CT, we have members that are professional in their field when it comes to numismatic. That very rarely getting involved in threads. But then again on occasion we has some that come out of the woodwork and like to share their experience. It's happened to me several times on CT. And each time it has been a learning experience for me, to increase my knowledge.(Example) A recent post of no grease. Put me in contact with a member that has extensive knowledge in the machinery. To me this is an invaluable source of knowledge and the internal workings of the mints coin production process.Now you bring up the subject of grade. Many years ago the grading process was unpredictable. It depended on the service you send it to. And back when I started collecting, sending a coin in to get graded was not an easy task and it cost a lot of money. A small group of us got together and decided to send the same coin in to each grading service. And as predicted.The coin came back with different grades from each company. I know nowadays these grading companies are trying to keep to a standard. So when it comes to asking me about a grade. (I'll say send it in). But there are members on CT that will give you their opinions of a grade.It seems again I have come across run of the mouth disease. So if you like it keep it. If not put it back in circulation and I may find. usmc60

Draft saved Draft deleted