3 coins: Panama, Germany, and ???? help?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Tompkins316, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Tompkins316

Tompkins316 Member

Hey these are 3 coins that I found in some of my grandfather's stuff after he passed away. I know the 1 obviously is a 1 Deutsch Mark from Germany dated 1950. The other is a coin from Panama, I believe, dated 1934. Lastly is???? well I don't know lol. The writing looks maybe to be Greek??

Sooooooo...

Can anyone tell me what this mystery coin is?
    and also, if anyone could tell me an approximate value (if any) for the two others?

1DM.jpg 1DMr.jpg panama.jpg panamar.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Tompkins316

Tompkins316 Member

Here are the pics of the mystery coin

mystery.jpg mysteryr.jpg

4. Mark14

Mark14 Star Wide Receiver

mystery coin could be greek, but i cant read it

5. Tompkins316

Tompkins316 Member

thats the only thing I could guess at...I don't know Greek at all but it's not Cyrillic or something close to it. plus at the bottom of the reverse it looks like pi lol

6. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

Greece 50 lepta coin

7. Tompkins316

Tompkins316 Member

thanks!

8. rexesq

rexesq Senior Member

Panama Silver 1/10 Balboa 1934

The second one in your first post is a 90% silver Panama 1934 1/10 Balboa, or Un Decimo de Balboa en Espanol.
    Not in the best of shape, but the mintage for that coin is only 75,000 according to my 2004 Krause Standard Catalogue of World coins, and 75,000 is a somewhat low mintage for a circulating coin. In my book it lists for $8 in Fine, $16 in Very Fine, $40 in Extra Fine, and $150 in Unc. Yours looks to be about Very Good/Good or so in my opinion

As far as the first coin in your first post, according to my book the German 1950 - J (Hamburg Mint) it lists for .75 US cents in Very Fine, $15.00 in Extra Fine, and $60. USD in Unc. I don't know about the grade on yours, maybe VF or so? I am not good withthese particular coins. My book doesn't list a mintage.

Also keep in mind these prices are from my 2004 edition of the Standard Catalogue of World Coins.

Cool coins, you should hold onto them, since they were your grandfathers' and all. You can pass them on to your children :)

9. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Mintage of the 1 DM coin 1950, with the J mintmark, was 61,410,000. As for the value, well, in that condition - at least the face value, ie. €0.51 which would be $0.70 ...

Christian

Draft saved Draft deleted