2oz Goodness

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Mat, May 3, 2016.

1. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

After several years, I finally acquired a coin high on my want list. A Cartwheel Penny. I know this is pretty modern but some here, like Doug, tend to be fans of them.

I traded a fairly nice Denarius for it but it was worth it.

This is the 2pence. Still would like a 1pence later on.

[​IMG]
    HANOVER.
    George III.1760-1820. CU Twopence Second issue. Cartwheel type.
    O:GEORGIUS III D G REX, Laureate, draped, and armored bust right.
    R: BRITANNIA, Britannia seated left on rocks, holding branch and trident; shield to right; in background, ship under sail right upon waves.
    Soho (Birmingham) mint, 1797.
    41mm
    54.73g
    6h
    Peck 1077; SCBC 3776; KM 619.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Neat addition Mat

panzerman likes this.
  4. noname

noname Well-Known Member

I'll post my two cartwheel george III 2 cents when schools over:)

df oieddno edinssd and panzerman like this.
  5. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Yes, I like these but not enough to spend the money that nice ones bring. Copper wears quickly and dents/chips occur easily. Did you know you can tell the difference between the two sizes by the configuration of leaves on the branch in Britannia's hand? Count the leaves on my two below and compare to your 2d to determine which of mine is a 1d and which a 2d. There is another difference. Can you see it?
    v00700bb2508.jpg v00700bb2509.jpg

6. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

In 2d coins there are 11 leaves while on 1d coin there are 10 leaves.

The 1D has a taller skinny bust. The 2D has a very round head.

Three crests on the bottom waves on the 2D compared to 2 on the 1D.

Last edited: May 3, 2016
  7. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

I always loved these coins. My old aunt (1911-2010) once gave me a two-pence on my birthday, and I sold it ten years later when I was poor. Always regretted it.
    These coins are not rare, but the qualities I like are expensive. However, maybe some day I will pounce upon another 2 d.

panzerman likes this.
  8. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I actually don't mind some of the dents and few shallow pits. I have seen so many worse at much higher prices then what my trade price was.

panzerman likes this.
  9. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

I don't mind some dents, but it's the wear. I like to see the details well.

panzerman likes this.
  10. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Same and I think mine has enough, for me.

panzerman and Alegandron like this.
  11. THCoins

THCoins Well-Known Member

Nice coins all ! I am also very fond of these. Here in Europe i regularly see them at coin fairs, but pristine specimen are also beyond my budget.
    Here one of mine, some nice details but also the common dents and bruises:
    GIII2dSW.jpg

12. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Looks like yours has some bronze disease forming?

panzerman likes this.
  13. noname

noname Well-Known Member

I'd like opinions on approximate grade thanks.

Attached Files:

14. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

i want one of these as well, i have this kind of rough coin... i think it's a half penny.

[​IMG]

noname, Alegandron, randygeki and 4 others like this.
  15. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

^I have one worse, Chris. Just no pic.

I'd say Fine to Very Fine.

16. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

I have a cartwheel tuppence too. It's a magnificent fine style coin really. Mine has a few scratches but I don't really care about what mark out of 70 it deserves. It's a classic coin. Somebody should publish a book about the all-time classic coins.

Pellinore likes this.
  17. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

GregH likes this.
  18. Mickey in PDX

Mickey in PDX Active Member

Hi Doug, when you said 'can you spot the other difference?' I had to go looking and first thing I looked at was it. The bow at the back of the head. Very different on the two coins. thanks for the challenge!

19. Topcat7

Topcat7 Still Learning

(To tell the difference, go by weight - 1oz [28+ gm]=1d, 2oz [56+ gm]=2d)
    Interestingly, Australia didn't get it's own 'coinage' until 1910 for silver, (or 1911 for copper) coins. Australia used coins from other countries as 'legal; tender, but found that the coins were leaving the country with the sailors from the ships, so the Governor ascribed a 'higher value' to each of the coins, when used in Australia, and this stopped the 'drainage'. The Cartwheel 'Twopence' was worth 'Threepence' and the Cartwheel 'Penny' was worth 'Twopence'. I found this in 'Wikipedia'.
    For many years after the first Australian colony, New South Wales, was founded in 1788, it did not have its own currency and had to rely on the coins of other countries. During the early days of the colony, commodities such as wheat were sometimes used as a currency because of the shortage of coins.

Spanish dollars were sometimes cut into "pieces of eight", quarters, and then into 2/3 and 1/3 segments, with the 2/3 segments (1/6 of original coin) being "shillings" and the 1/3 segments (1/12 of original coin) "sixpences" [1] In 1791 Governor Phillip of New South Wales fixed the value of the Spanish dollar to equal five shillings.

Under the decree of 19 November 1800 by the governor Philip Gidley King, the following coins were legal tender for the exchange value of:

The settlers did have some George III one-penny coins, which were referred to as "Cartwheel pennies". These were the first British coins to be officially exported to the Australian colonies, and so can be considered Australia's first official coins. They were dated 1797 and 1799, with Britannia on one side and King George III on the other.

Here are my examples of the 1d and the 2d (Penny and Twopence).

Magical Snap - 2016.05.06 09.42 - 022.jpg Magical Snap - 2016.05.06 09.42 - 023.jpg

Last edited: May 5, 2016
  20. *wolf7*

*wolf7* Member

Great Britain never minted any 2 cents or any other cents.

21. noname

noname Well-Known Member

Dude, you know what I meant, pence, cent, 2 pence, 2 cent, all of that basically means the same thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted