2nd attempt to photograph my Liberty Head Eagle

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Sallent, Oct 25, 2022.

1. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Still need a lot of photography practice, but I think I'm slightly heading in the right direction.

Before:

Zombodroid_25102022110114.jpg

After:

Liberty Head Eagle.jpg

Neither photo has had any filters or Photoshop applied to it. Both taken with the same cheap cell phone.

The difference, a box, white background, phone stand, coin not obstructed by plastic, and soft white light evenly distributed.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2022
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Abramthegreat

Abramthegreat Well-Known Member

Nice photos, and nice coin!

Sallent likes this.
  4. Sallent

Thank you very much. I like it too. Bought it for my bullion stack at melt plus 2% a couple of months back.

Abramthegreat likes this.
  5. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Much better. The coin is more in focus. If you reduce the lighting a bit, it will look even better.

6. Sallent

Thanks for the tip. I will keep it in mind in the next day or two when I try to photograph other coins, and maybe one day I'll revisit this one and do a better image.

I'm trying to improve little by little. I don't expect to ever have results in the level of what expert coin photographers achieve, but maybe if I work hard at it I can get 60% or 70% of the way there and at least have decent photos of all my coins that do them justice.

7. Sallent

I was able to tone it down somewhat by messing with the basic lighting/contrast settings on my laptop. Definitely a coin I'll rephotograph in the future, but for now I think this is "acceptable".

My project-1(1).jpg

Last edited: Oct 26, 2022
    GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  8. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

First photo I prefer. Shows better natural color

9. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

I prefer the first picture. The second picture is very flatly lit and doesn't show luster of the coin. This is especially noticeable on the portrait and the eagle's feathers. The white balance is different between the two. I can't tell which is correct without the coin in hand, but the first picture seems to have better color.

Anthony Mazza and Omegaraptor like this.
  10. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

I prefer the first set of photos as I think it shows the coin as it probably looks in hand, even allowing for the focus issues. The second set looks almost washed out, maybe a bit over exposed. However, taken together, both sets give me a better idea of the actual surface condition. More information is always better!

Anthony Mazza and Omegaraptor like this.
  11. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

Like the way the first photo shows the luster.

Draft saved Draft deleted