29 Ancients in olive oil...Liberated! Now what?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by wlwhittier, May 2, 2013.

1. TJC

TJC Well-Known Member

I see a few promising coins that you may get an attribution for. Not saying it is the best un-cleaned lot I have seen for $100 but still...you have genuine 1700+ year coins. I see a Faustina, a couple of possible Gallienus (second row), a few of Constan....?, and a couple of fallen horseman. My advice for cleaning...I would now break this group up into 2 piles: "back to olive oil" & "coins that you plan to use mechanical cleaning". I suggest skipping the electrolysis for now. You have coins there that can be cleaned attributed without it. BTW, I would use a sharpened brass wire to clean with. Good luck an have fun! Feel free to post individual coins for attribution and cleaning help:)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

Well I use the lowest possible voltage and amperage, just the minimum (see a few bubbles). good luckE=wlwhittier;1702178]Hi, Rip...I AM daring! Are there published protocols for electrolysis of Ancients? Specifically; electrolytes, voltage, current density, polarity, cathode/anode material?

I've got the equipment, and I'm sure the electrolytes will be pretty mild, so easily available.

Apparently I have nothing to lose here...Please: Do Tell.[/QUOTE]

Draft saved Draft deleted