29 Ancients in olive oil...Liberated! Now what?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by wlwhittier, May 2, 2013.

1. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Peripheral Member

P1080254.jpg P1080255.jpg

There were two wee jars, each with about half of these coins immersed in olive oil. The oil was deep yellow, and contained many bits and pieces of dirt. corrosion, etc. The lot was $100.

P1080256.jpg P1080257.jpg

I have only removed them from the oil and mopped them dry, perfunctorily. I'm gonna guess the next step, but will wait to hear from those of you with deep and satisfactory experience in such matters before pressing on.

My guess is individual, repeated & brief acetone dips/baths, allowing time to dry between...I invite your collective counsel.

Anyone see anything worthy of first effort? Or anything else of particular note? Thanks!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

i see several interesting coins there. i'm not an expert, but i don't really know how to proceed here...i don't see much dirt. the two on the top right in the first pic for example may have some stuff that is removable. start with probing with a toothpick or needle and see if anything yields. i think most are probably not going to clean up much more.

4. wlwhittier

From what I can see so far, I am in cautious agreement with you.

I'll say that I'm not afraid to be gently aggressive with some of these...What I would really like is for someone to say: "Leave that one and that other one alone, 'cause you might have something."

Better pics can be taken of any of them, or select groups...I'm quite willing to bring these into better viewing condition wit' me trusty pinhole; just ask.

Thanks!

5. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

It's a lot of corroded junk. I'm sorry to be so blunt, but your hundred dollars would have been better spent on a couple of well-preserved coins - they would have given you much more satisfaction.

6. wlwhittier

YUP! If you were to have received these for nothing, what would you do to begin a process of restoration/redemption? I can afford to learn about 'cleaning' ancients without fear of loss (except for $). The question remains: How do I start?

BTW: No apology necessary for your bluntness.

7. John Anthony

I'd start out with some dish soap and a toothbrush. Give them a mild scrubbing and see if anything comes off. Ordinarily I'd say rinse them with distilled water, as tap water can leave behind mineral deposits, but I don't think it matters in this case.

Then put them in the freezer for a few hours, take them out and dip them in warm water, and pick away with a toothpick and see if any of the dirt comes off. But I think chrsmat is right - I don't think there's much dirt there. Just corrosion, which you can't really do anything about.

8. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Well-Known Member

You have got to remember these coins may have already been cleaned by the finder who dug them up in the country where they were found.
    Any good ones are saved or sold separately whilst the junk is offloaded in bulk.
    I sometimes I have ancient coins and 400 year old coppers soaking for as much as 12 months.

9. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

Electroysis, if you dare.....

10. shanhartzell

shanhartzell Member

This is were I got a lot of cleaning hints, you just have to develope your own system with what works. I have also bought coins here and was very happy. My process takes a long time, especialy if you want to retain the patina.

http://www.crustyromans.com/

11. shanhartzell

shanhartzell Member

1-DSC07374.jpg

1-DSC07369.jpg

1-DSC07371.jpg

1-DSC07372.jpg

This is mid cleaning several weeks into the oil and distilled water. I also use a stiff bristle toothbrush and dishsoap to srubb off dirt and grime in between the oil and water.

12. wlwhittier

Ahhh...Soaking in WHAT? Are you a Distilled Water believer? Extra Virgin Olive Oil? Denatured Alcohol? Thanks!

13. wlwhittier

Hi, Rip...I AM daring! Are there published protocols for electrolysis of Ancients? Specifically; electrolytes, voltage, current density, polarity, cathode/anode material?

I've got the equipment, and I'm sure the electrolytes will be pretty mild, so easily available.

Apparently I have nothing to lose here...Please: Do Tell.

14. wlwhittier

Lovely! If I can manage success on that order I'm very willing to practice patience. I'll sort 'em by material if I can, and try a little of this, some of that...what have I got to lose?

15. John Anthony

They've already been soaked. I would go ahead and try dish soap with a toothbrush, then a toothpick or needle.

16. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

Yeah :yes:, dishsoap, toothbrush, and needle time. i think you have some that are salvagable...maybe attributable depending on how the reverse looks.

17. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

Hi. Maybe we still only need to use tomato ketchup..Ha ha

18. wlwhittier

Well...I just had lunch with the fellow who sold me these Ancients.

Upshot was a fifty percent reduction in purchase price, without any cash exchange.

Horse-trade: fo' mo' bettah stuff, y'know? We be sweet, now.

19. wlwhittier

I'll start with the largest, and only a couple at a time, and gently.

We'll see where that goes. Thanks for the encouragement!

Pics, before & in-process, as improvement becomes apparent.

20. wlwhittier

First three Ancients; Before treatment...

P1080285.jpg P1080286.jpg

Three for starters...I intend to process as follows:

1) Remove olive oil (acetone bath, brief);
    2) Couple weeks in either distilled water or denatured alcohol, separately;
    maybe pick at 'em with a bamboo toothpick after a week, depending on what the fluid looks like;
    3) More pics and report here.

Comments?

21. wlwhittier

Very good! I spent 20 minutes or so, and came away with several good ideas. I'll go there again.

Draft saved Draft deleted