27.4 Ancient Gold Coin

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by thetennispharao, Sep 18, 2005.

1. thetennispharao

thetennispharao New Member

I have a Gold Ancient Coin that i know nothing about... i have been searching for the past week and i can't get any information about it.. .... im getting crazy over here... if anyone can help me.. please i need it..
    i will appreciate it alot.. thank u very much and waiting for ur replies

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      32.1 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      41.1 KB
      Views:
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ian

Ian Coin Collector

Well now, you just don't come across these inside of fortune cookies. That is, not if it is genuine. So if you don't mind me asking, how did you happen upon this item? They are reasonably scarce and seldom seen. They are however subject to the counterfeiters arts so great care has to be taken in making any assessment of them.

The coin professes to be a gold Octodrachm of Arsinoe II wife of Ptolemy II of Egypt. The legend reads `ARSINOE PHILADELPHOY'. A google search will probably give you all the background you want to know concerning the history and personalities portrayed.

Out of interest, what size / weight is it?

Ian

4. Tbirde

Tbirde Senior Member

wildwinds.com

From Malter Galleries:
    '157. --, Arsinoe III, sister-wife of Ptolemy IV. 221 – 204 BC. Gold Octodrachm. Alexandria. 27.87g. Her diademed and veiled bust rt., wearing solar disc and plumes, A behind. / APINOH OY, double cornucopiae with a fillet. Svor. 1149, 39a,14. Choice aEF in lovely style. View Image $9000'

5. thetennispharao

this image is $9000.. is that what you mean...............?

6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Tbirde was providing you with a link to a genuine coin so that you could compare the picture and see some basic information about the coin you were asking about.

But that still doesn't help you much for you need to determine if the coin you have is genuine. As suggested by Ian, you need to weigh & measure your coin. This will help determine if the coin is genuine or not but it will not be proof positive. It will however tell you if you need to have an expert examine the coin in person.

7. Ian

Ian Coin Collector

You can see from svoronos 1498 that the original posters coin claims to be Arsinoe II and not Arsinoe III.

Original posters image leaves me less than convinced of its authenticity.

Check out:

http://www.ancientcoinvalues.com/27.html?p...dca11e08d08e534

Ian

8. thetennispharao

Alright... i understand what you all saying... i will post the exact weight and the exact size of it tom. or maybe tonight... thank you soo much for all of your help..
    i really appreciate it...

9. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

One has to be very careful regarded ancient gold coins,especially those of Ancient Egypt.There are some very deceptive forgeries that you have to be on the watch for.There is a very good chance that this piece is a dud.I have seen some deceptive duds of Ancient Egyptian silver coins as well.These are very easy to fool the unsuspecting & unfamiliar collector.

Aidan.

10. Ian

Ian Coin Collector

You will note that original poster has `27.4' in the title of the post. Why is that I wonder, when they don't appear to know the weight of the coin?

It just so happens to be the weight in grams of the fake octodrachm highlighted on the web site I referred. If it matches that one, then it's 24 carat gold anyway and worth at least bullion value of $400 +/-, but no where near the $6,000 or so it would be worth if it was proven to be genuine.

11. thetennispharao

Alright, Follow Up 27.72 grams Ancient gold Octodrachm of Arsinoe II wife of Ptolemy

The Coin is 27.72 Grams of Gold and
    It has a size of 2.6 cm

I hope that helps..
    Im getting very worried bout the authenticty of this coin..
    I need more help.
    i have taken better pictures of reverse and observe and i hope that helps.

Attached Files:

• 12.JPG
      12.JPG
      File size:
      55.4 KB
      Views:
    • 13.JPG
      13.JPG
      File size:
      47.3 KB
      Views:
    • 15.JPG
      15.JPG
      File size:
      36.5 KB
      Views:
    • 16.JPG
      16.JPG
      File size:
      47.4 KB
      Views:
    • 17.JPG
      17.JPG
      File size:
      31.9 KB
      Views:
  12. GDJMSP

The only way you are ever going to know if the coin is genuine is to have an expert in the field examine the coin in person. It is impossible to say one way or the other from looking at pictures.

ICG is the only grading company I am aware that would authenticate a coin like this - but there are several noted individuals who could if you could contact them. ICG is easy to contact - Click Here

13. thetennispharao

14. GDJMSP

I'm afraid a dealer won't be much help to you - you need an expert. Few dealers are expert on anything, let alone ancient coins like this one. But there a few.

Here is an email address for a dealer whose opinion on this I would trust - cng@cngcoins.com I can't guarantee they will help you though. But if they do - you can trust what they tell you.

15. Ian

Ian Coin Collector

The weight is right. The size is right, and (as far as you can tell from these images) it looks to me to be `right'. However, no-one in their right mind is going to buy it without either having it verified or at least knowing its provenance. If genuine it's worth a figure somewhere in the $6-£9K mark.

Where did you get it from?

David Sear provides an authentication service for $60 I believe. If that were my coin and I was wondering about it's authenticity I'd employ his services a) because it validates authenticity b) his name associated with it is a mighty good selling point and would not only make the coin easier to sell, but add some value to the selling price. It wouldn't be money squandered, put it that way.

As Doug already mentioned, ICG is an alternative option. A few days and a few $'s is worth it for getting the uncertainty removed one way or the other.

PS: Why did you title your post `27.4' to start with? Is there some information that was already there with the coin?

Ian

16. thetennispharao

well.... the coin is not on me right now.. it is actually coming from oversees and this is why im asking alot of questions becuase im not sure if i should buy it or not but i think im gonna take a decision of buying it and get it authenticated when it gets to the states.
    The first weight was just what i was told ... the actual one is what my brother (He is the one who has it rite now) sent me....
    It was actually dug down from a place oversees but you always have to check.... u noe?

PS: what do you mean by knowing its provinence..?
    you mean lke where it came from....???????

17. thetennispharao

whats a good website to auction this coin if i wanna get it auctioned??

18. Ian

Ian Coin Collector

Yes, and how it came to be in your possession.

These coins usually come with a history of ownership

If it has been recently excavated (as you appear to suggest), then I would suspect the legality and ethics of your intended purchase. If genuine, it has a cultural significance for whatever country it was `found' in and should not be exported if the laws of that country prohibit it.

As I said earlier, these coins just don't turn up in the occasional fortune cookie. They are rare, and without a legitimate `history' for it you would have difficulty selling it except by deceit.

Ian

19. thetennispharao

lol.... No.... acutally this coin belonged to a friend of my brother who says that his grandfather found while he was digging down to change the ground.. .its a weird story but he has had it for a pretty long time.. at least 20-30 years

20. Ian

Ian Coin Collector

OK so where was this coin dug up (countrywise)?

21. GDJMSP

Unless it is authenticated by a trusted source - there isn't one. Everyone will assume it is a fake.

Draft saved Draft deleted