25C - Fake 1982 D Quarter :(

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by paddyman98, Jul 21, 2018.

1. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Hi all,
    A few days ago I was cashing in on my metal detecting coin finds at a Coinstar Machine and this little fellow kept getting spit out into the reject bin... Why?... Because it's fake!
    20180721_155925-1.jpg 20180721_155934-1.jpg
    No Reeding :yack: 20180721_155943-1.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

I have one of these.
    At first I thought I was out a quarter, and then I realized this was so much better.
    COUNTERFEIT.png

4. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Interesting. I wonder what the reason for making them was. Actually counterfeiting or something else?

Randy Abercrombie and paddyman98 like this.
  5. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

When I was young, I used to make those out of pot metal using rubber mold spinning machines.
    They worked great in vending machines.
    That date is later than I was making them, so you can't blame me for that one.

Randy Abercrombie and paddyman98 like this.
  6. NOS

NOS Former Coin Hoarder

Back in about 1998 I read an article in Coin World about 1982-dated counterfeit quarters being circulated. The example that was pictured was more sophisticated than the ones shown in this thread. I suppose if one has the skill and means to produce enough of them without it being immediately obvious that they're fake it can be a profitable and lucrative venture.

john65999, paddyman98 and furryfrog02 like this.
  7. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

If you make a million of them in China or North Korea at a cost of 2 cents each,
    there's a $230,000 profit, if they are able to be spent.
    The machines today will reject it (the size is correct and the weight is close)
    for being the wrong metal. So either they are being used in some mechanical
    machine where the size is not rejected, or they are being spent in commerce some how. Perhaps in a country that uses the US dollar as an alternate or black market currency.

paddyman98 and furryfrog02 like this.
  8. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Digging up a counterfeit common quarter while metal detecting. That’s just the ultimate cruel find.... If the oddity of the thing wasn’t so cool.

9. Mike Thornton

Mike Thornton Learning something new everyday.

Bad fake. The eagle has a pigeons or doves head.

Draft saved Draft deleted