24,000 Likes Celebration-Struck On A Foreign Planchet

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Collecting Nut, Mar 2, 2021.

1. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

We already see them but I have the real thing. :D

paddyman98 likes this.
  4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

My mistake. Sorry if I confused anyone.

paddyman98 likes this.
  5. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

They didn't. The last year the US Mint struck coins for another country was 1984 (except for the 1000 Kr Iceland coin for the 500th anniversary of Eric the Red's discovery of North America in 2000) 11 years before this cent was struck

Which begs the question how did Singapore cent planchets get into the Philadelphia Mint?

OK found the probably answer. The Singapore cents were also copper plated zinc. Most likely also produced by Jarden Zinc and some probably accidentally got mixed in with planchets shipped to Philadelphia.

paddyman98 likes this.
  6. mikediamond

mikediamond Coin Collector

It's not a Malaysian 1 sen planchet, as those are composed of copper-plated steel. The OP's coin is composed of copper-plated zinc. It's also not a Singapore cent planchet. While those are composed of copper-plated zinc, they are much lighter at 1.24 grams. These wrong planchet Lincoln cents vary quite a bit in weight, falling between 1.5 grams and just over 2 grams. They seem to have a bimodal distribution, with most falling at either 1.7 grams or 2 grams. They mystery remains as to what these planchets were intended for and whether they represent two (or more) unrelated populations.

Kentucky and Collecting Nut like this.
  7. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Interestinger and interestinger said Alice...

Draft saved Draft deleted