23 S Monroe grade opinion?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Paddy54, Apr 17, 2024.

1. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

This specimen waa one of those in the dealers case that was like a becon to ones eye.... the subject has always been a favorite, for the art deco design......@ > $50. It was a no brainer cart wheel luster... what do you believe would ngc or pcgs assign grade be? 20240417_211053-01.jpeg 20240417_211033-01.jpeg

Mr.Q and SensibleSal66 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I find these beastly to grade, due to the low relief and swirly design.

With cartwheel luster like that, though, I'd speculate 64-ish, at least.

4. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Luster, clarity, and tone are great. Very nice eye appeal. MS-65 possibly better!

5. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

There are big jumps in price from 64 to 65 and from 65 to 66 for this one. I think it could be anywhere in that range from the photos.

6. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

My first reaction from these pictures is harshly cleaned. Monroes don't tend to look like this.

7. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I can't even guess from those images. Way out of focus.

8. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Monroe half dollars are usually frosty to dull with so-so strikes. This one is graded MS-64 and close to as good as you will find.

Monroe All.jpg

The OP photo is out of focus, but the bright shine might be a problem. These coins are common in slider Unc. and cleaning them up has long been a temptation for dealers and collectors. When the Hollywood producers could sell any more of these coins, they dumped them into circulation.

Draft saved Draft deleted