225th Anniversary Enhanced Uncirculated Coin Set

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by rickmp, Aug 3, 2017.

1. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

What is the interest in this set among Coin Talk members?
    I missed out on the first day, so I signed up for a reminder email
    and just received it, so I placed an order for mine.

[​IMG]

Oldrdawg likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. KevinS

KevinS Junior Member

I just got mine too and placed order. I only want them to "complete" my sets. Glad I didn't buy from the flippers on ebay

Inspector43 likes this.
  4. SchwaVB57

SchwaVB57 Well-Known Member

To me the interest is a non Proof Sac, Jefferson, Lincoln, Roosevelt, and Kennedy with the S mint mark. I really care less about the quarters or the special Enhancement aspect.

ernie11 and u812? like this.
  5. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

I collect Mint Sets. I have a complete set going back to 1959, which is when they started putting them in sealed packages.

I even have a Souvenir Set from Philadelphia and Denver for both 1982 and 83 just so that my set is complete.

This set, although technically not the Uncirculated Mint Set is still a Mint Set and not a proof set. I wanted one for my collection to remain complete.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
    u812? likes this.
  6. DM1

DM1 Active Member

I got the e-mail also, so I bought a set, plus a 2017-w uncirc. silver eagle, which I'd been thinking about getting. After all that, I hope the set isn't a dud, but at least I got one for the issue price - HA!

Inspector43 likes this.
  7. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

I ordered 2 sets, 1 I'll open and send the cent to PCGS for my Lincoln set, the other I'll just put away.

8. Speedbump

Speedbump Not a New Member

considering how quickly they sold out on Tuesday, they seem to be hanging in there for quite a while today...

9. brokecoinguy

brokecoinguy I like what I can't afford

I agree, I ended up being late for work this morning when they first popped back up for sale (no big deal though). Had no idea they would still be going. Seems to be less activity on the bay now.

10. rickmp

I see on eBay that some sellers are reporting that they have these sets in-hand.
    How?

Inspector43 and Oldrdawg like this.
  11. Speedbump

They went to the mint shops or the ANA show and bought them in person.

12. rickmp

AH! I see now.

13. Speedbump

They did put a limit of 100 per transaction. That should slow down any single larger buys, but its been several hours now... Considering that it takes months to sell 225,000 proof sets, this one might take a while if larger dealers didn't actually swoop in and gobble them all up. I still expect them to sell them all at some point. It might just take a while if its people buying a couple at a time instead of dealers buying 1,000's at a time.

14. mikenoodle

I'm just grateful to have been able to buy the one that I wanted for my collection.

davdo likes this.
  15. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

It will depend how many are left in my opinion. I'm guessing clearly some orders were canceled for whatever reason and them lingering today certainly takes some wind from their sales. If it turns out there are like a 100k left they might never turn out, but if the vast majority was sold the first day then I agree they will eventually sell out

Oldrdawg likes this.
  16. Oldrdawg

Oldrdawg Active Member

The proof sets are always beautiful and the mint sets usually are too. I've always been concerned, however, about the more modern stuff holding its value. I've seen sets in bins at shows that I'm pretty sure are selling for less than their original retail price. (I hate to suggest that the future value of something may/might/should play a role in what one collects or holds onto, but for some of us, I'm embarrassed to say, it has to.)

17. Speedbump

A lot of proof sets are not worth all that much, mainly because they made several million of them during certain years. Its the years where set production was relatively small where you could see increased demand and modestly higher values.

Oldrdawg likes this.
  18. mikenoodle

The other thread states that a 20,000 set order was cancelled.

Oldrdawg likes this.
  19. mikenoodle

Actually, it is more typically the sets whose sales were ended abruptly without warning that seem to spike. This is usually followed (years later) by a drop in price.

Oldrdawg likes this.
  20. DM1

DM1 Active Member

I remember when the 1975 proof set was going for big bucks. What's it going for now, about $10?

I messed up my order today and had to call the mint to straighten it out, I guess I screwed up because I was in a hurry to buy the new set before they went away again :arghh:

Oldrdawg likes this.
  21. Oldrdawg

Oldrdawg Active Member

I know more than a few people who bought sets in the 70's for their children, grand children and for investment who are not happy with how things turned out. I think the expression is, "If it says 'collectable,' it's not worth collecting."

mikenoodle likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted