225th Anniversary Enhanced Uncirc Set Issue

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by BlackBeard_Thatch, Aug 9, 2017.

1. BlackBeard_Thatch

BlackBeard_Thatch Captain of the Queen Anne's Revenge

So I just got my set in the mail and I'm looking at the quarters and there is these oily spots in the case itself distorting the display and causing black spots to appear. Anyone else have this on their mint sets and thoughts on me returning it to the mint for a new set?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

brokecoinguy likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. silverman987

silverman987 Member

I don't think they're oily spots on the case, I think that's just the part of the case that's in contact with the black plastic film. I bought 2 sets, both of my sets also have the same weird "oily" contact spots.

4. sonlarson

sonlarson World Silver Collector

Mine too. It was the first thing my wife noticed. Kinda of like an air bubble.

5. BlackBeard_Thatch

quite annoying, sad to see that a lot of these sets have this.

6. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

It's just where the black insert touches the clear plastic. NGC holders do it as well. No biggie (for me at least).

7. u812?

u812? Better-Known Member

Makes you wish that you had never got them.

BlackBeard_Thatch likes this.
  8. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

Mine also has those. I believe they are "Newton's rings," which can happen if there's a thin layer of air trapped between two layers. My cellphone's protective case has a built in screen protecter and develops Newton's Rings too.

9. hic

hic Member

hi - i have noticed this exact same thing in other recent proof sets too! - i don't have a camera so i couldn't take pictures and post - thank YOU for finally getting this "on the air".....

10. hic

hic Member

Newton's rings, huh? is that the guy who makes the fig cookies? (smile) thought he only made jewelry! (smile)

11. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

Haven't received mine yet. Just wanted to ask if this could be a removable film to protect the lens from scratches??? Another member received some slabbed coins and didn't know about the film, until after it being pointed out.
    Probably not, but...

12. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

As for returning them... why do you think the mint installed revolving doors??? :woot:

13. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

no. It's accurately described as where the outer case touches the inner holder. It's not attractive, but not a deal breaker for me.

14. hic

hic Member

geez - i feel like an idiot! i just now figured out that the big black and white spots on your first picture is the reflection of an overhead light....(or maybe a giant spider???)........

15. BlackBeard_Thatch

Sorry about that! these cases are very reflective! :)

16. SilverWilliesCoinsdotcom

SilverWilliesCoinsdotcom Well-Known Member

I've never been the biggest fan of US Mint packaging, especially when the cream of the crop of the coins wind up slabbed anyway. That and the free floating COA which the eBay sewer rats scramble to buy along with the fuzzy blue boxes. Ugh. My favorite UGLIEST US Mint presentation ever though was the tacky Brown Ike fake wood paneling.

mikenoodle likes this.
  17. Bambam8778

Bambam8778 Well-Known Member

My 2 sets were supposed to arrive Wednesday but the updated fedex page now says Friday.

18. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

It is the opposite. It is where they are touching.

19. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

Whoops, thanks for the correction.

jwitten likes this.
  20. BlackBeard_Thatch

Anyone else notice black ink/dye on the rims on the coins? almost looks like its from the black inserts but I know.

21. Bambam8778

Bambam8778 Well-Known Member

I just got mine Friday night when I arrived home from work. I only opened the one package and they are NICE! I like them! I didn't notice any of the spots on mine at all.

Draft saved Draft deleted