225th anniversary American Liberty 1oz. silver medal

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Johndoe2000$, May 16, 2017.

1. COCollector

COCollector Well-Known Member

With that packaging & booklet, I expect the price will be $55-ish.

Too bad. If they'd offer ONLY the coin for $33.95, I bet they'd easily sell over 100k.

LM3012 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

Without a doubt, one of the ugliest coins, both obverse and reverse, that I have ever seen in my entire life.

Notwithstanding a website that cannot handle large amounts of traffic, abysmal communication with its customers, and schizophrenic time estimations, the U.S. Mint makes it easy not to buy from them with grotesque coin designs like these. (Haven't dealt with the Mint in years, but I'm assuming my first three digs are still true, but somebody correct me if the Mint has magically gotten better in any of those areas).

Chiefbullsit likes this.
  4. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

Over, and under producing their offerings is another issue the mint can't seem to get right also. As for the medal, don't you love that they design very open fields on the reverse, then place initials in distracting positions?

5. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Shoot.........tell us how you really feel Travis........ devil.gif

6. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

The cut off the eagle's tail! Why? And I'm not a fan of the plain edge.

I really like the font of "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA", but it needs better placement and maybe sizing, too. Although, it does work in a simple design perspective.

7. Johndoe2000$

This doesn't even crack my top 10 for ugly designs. Eye of the beholder, I reckon.

mikenoodle and -jeffB like this.
  8. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

I also think the fancy packaging and booklet is going to add at least $10 and the price will likely be $44.95 or more.

slackaction1 likes this.
  9. Johndoe2000$

That would make an already questionable purchase, just not worthy at all. And just image what the "premium" set will cost when released, if that is the case. :confused:

10. Chiefbullsit

Chiefbullsit CRAZY HORSE

T$, they have gotten a little better in handling the heavy traffic. Now the "hot items" are Gone in 120 Seconds. That's what it took on the 2017-S Proof ASE, 2 minutes for 75,000 pieces. All the other is still the same.

Last edited: May 19, 2017
    Johndoe2000$ likes this.
  11. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

Sweet Ginger Brown! That seems quicker than what I remember. Although that Mercury 1/10 oz. last year sold out fairly quickly if I recall correctly.

I felt like I had a good 5 minute F5 spam window before all the Rail Splitter and Formative Years rolls were gone years ago.

Their website definitely runs smoother, just with normal everyday browsing, than it used to before their update.

12. tmnt

tmnt New Member

I think it looks a little better than the gold one but those stars are awful. I liked the last year design but I missed out and wasn't going to pay the flipper price.

13. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Perhaps if there's enough public outcry they'll stop production early, and reissue with the designer initials removed.

Don't be left in the lurch like your great-grandparents in 1909 -- get in line early for the 2017-P JK PH CTC MG variety!

dwhiz, Jaja78 and Johndoe2000$ like this.
  14. Richard Stack

Richard Stack New Member

Staple it in a 2x2, wrap in bubble wrap and place in a 1st class #10 envelope with a forever stamp. Seems like that's what passes for proper packaging these days. I will buy the fancy box and book on eBay next year for $10.

Johndoe2000$ likes this.
  15. Johndoe2000$

Ahh yes, the packaging. I do like to hold onto the OGPs, but remove the coins/medals from them when storing, for saving space. The items may have a little more value with the packaging included, and in pristine condition. That being the case, a protective box is good enough. A higher cost, "fancy" box may look better for display, but I have yet to see someone "trusting" enough to have a valuable collection sitting around in a display case. Just send me the product safely, and give the option for packaging upgrades. But as usual, we are at the mercy of the mint as to what we get, as well as the prices.

16. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

As of now the mint has a mintage limit of none on it which would make it a big snooze fest if that doesn't change

17. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Good grief, it is as though you pilfered the very thoughts out o' me beak!:D

18. Johndoe2000$

Looks like no limits at all. Not much "flipping" gonna happen on this one. :)
    At least anyone that wants one can get one of these "GORGEOUS MEDALS" :wacky::D

19. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

If there's no limit I think I may wait to buy one of these in the secondary market. I'm sure the initial price will be beyond what I want to pay.

Johndoe2000$ likes this.
  20. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Well after those several hundred people have theirs then what? :)

If they keep the unlimited mintage they will probably be on sale for two years and selling for bullion on the after market. Their medals they have done that with have almost never is ever held their value. Even the 9-11 medal which draws a lot of emotion for people can be had for 20 dollars now.

Johndoe2000$ likes this.
  21. Johndoe2000$

You're right, with no limits, no hurry getting them. The price will drop on these after initial freshness wears off. ASE/ML type premium after just a few months maybe.
    "JUST MY OPINION"
    I do plan on getting one upon release if not priced KRAZY.

Draft saved Draft deleted