225th anniversary American Liberty 1oz. silver medal

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Johndoe2000$, May 16, 2017.

1. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

The U.S. mint has announced the release date of June 14th noon eastern, from the West Point mint. I have heard that they will release a set, with different finishes, from different mints later in the year, for a total of four. While may not be the most popular design, it has started to grow on me, so I do intend to get them to continue the collection that started with last year's medals. I don't know what the mintage will be for these, as that was not posted on their site. I would hope that they produce plenty, or at least have a household limit, if they do limit them at all. The mint didn't show a picture of it, so I will assume that they haven't stricken any yet? Anyone else have opinions on these (pro or con)?
    Thanks.
    John.

Travlntiques likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

I have no opinion on these:eek:

4. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

Since at this time there is 'No mintage or household order limits are established for the West Point medal at this time.' I expect the mint is going to make the total mintage way too high on these like they do with most everything else after the first one proves popular. It will be interesting to see if the flippers bite on these though.

LM3012 and Johndoe2000$ like this.
  5. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

I like the design of the gold, but not $1650 like. I might be a buyer for a silver.

KevinS, Johndoe2000$ and Jaja78 like this.
  6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I might be interested.........let's hope I get up in time on game day. :)

danmar2, mikenoodle and Johndoe2000$ like this.
  7. ddddd

ddddd Member

I think that two factors will affect these medals greatly: price and mintage. I would say design is a third factor, but we have already seen many people dislike the design. So the design will not be a major contributor to high sales (it will be a factor for low sales if the price is also very high).

In terms of mintage and price, if the US Mint issues under 50,000 at $35 each, these will do well. If the mintage is 100,000 and the price is $55+ each, then these will sit around and never sell out.

8. Johndoe2000$

I agree that if they charge too much, it will be another failed release from the mint. My guess is around $35. Mintage however, will be high for the W, but limited on the others "just a guess". The reverse is awesome, the obverse is the problem for most, but look at the silver Krugerand (different circumstances I know). Is the obverse what attracts or the reverse? Many coins/medals have only one attractive side. I for one like the new silver medal program, much more than the bronze.

green18 likes this.
  9. Johndoe2000$

I find the "manufactured rarities" to be only an attempt to get people to purchase for the low montages, and not the design. There are some private mints that only produce "rarities", and there are some people that are infatuated with them. Not me, at least not anymore.

10. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

Last years silver medals were $34.95, however they both had a mintage limit of 12,500. I'm almost certain there will be no mintage limit on this years or it will be very high like 100k as these are for the '225th anniversary'. If I had to guess I'd say they don't sell out and are available well into next year.

11. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

The RP could be kind of cool just because I like the RP look and the mint doesn't do a whole lot with it. Other than that barring a very limited mintage I would not expect these to be very popular. Should be more popular than the gold due to the lower price point, but I doubt we will see the frenzy that we saw for the last one repeat itself. An issue price over $50 each, a high mintage, or minting to demand will likely be a kiss of death.

-jeffB likes this.
  12. Chiefbullsit

Chiefbullsit CRAZY HORSE

I will not be buying these, y'all can have mine.

I'm hoping another Mint has some new stuff out by 6-14.

green18 likes this.
  13. Johndoe2000$

Not seeing a whole lot of love for this historic anniversary medal. No mintage or price posted yet, but they did post pics. (Mints pics) Well, what do you think? 17xb_a.jpg 17xb_b.jpg 17xb_c.jpg 17xb_d.jpg

14. baseball21

Same thing that everyone thought of the gold. The only difference is this one is cheaper and the different finishes make this one slightly more interesting

15. Johndoe2000$

The reverse is nice, and the obverse will grow on you. I did expect edge lettering denoting the anniversary. They did print it on the box at least.

16. baseball21

That could be a positive sign for how they will price it that they left that off. If it was on there you know they would charge for it

slackaction1 likes this.
  17. Johndoe2000$

Yep, though they gave the box an upgrade from last year's.

18. Jaja78

Jaja78 Member

Actually, I really like both sides of the design (unpopular opinion, I know). There is zero chance of me affording the gold I'll be happy with the silver. I'm rooting for a lower price point but I'm inclined to think the anniversary will kick the price, and the mintage, slightly higher.

jester3681 likes this.
  19. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

I'm not sure there are enough initials on this coin:confused:

hic, -jeffB, Johndoe2000$ and 3 others like this.
  20. NSP

NSP Well-Known Member

I have to agree. The reverse looks like mites or fleas or something are falling off the eagle's wings!

Johndoe2000$ likes this.
  21. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

They're not very good at hiding initials on coins anymore are they?

Draft saved Draft deleted